JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
BRUSSELS -- America's military alliance with Europe -- the cornerstone of U.S. security policy for six decades -- faces a "dim, if not dismal" future, U.S. Defense Secretary Robert Gates said Friday in a blunt valedictory address.

In his final policy speech as Pentagon chief, Gates questioned the viability of NATO, saying its members' penny-pinching and lack of political will could hasten the end of U.S. support. The North Atlantic Treaty Organization was formed in 1949 as a U.S.-led bulwark against Soviet aggression, but in the post-Cold War era it has struggled to find a purpose.

"Future U.S. political leaders -- those for whom the Cold War was not the formative experience that it was for me -- may not consider the return on America's investment in NATO worth the cost," he told a European think tank on the final day of an 11-day overseas journey.

Complete Artical:
Gates Blasts NATO, Questions Future of Alliance

Kudos to Gen. Gates. And while we're at it, let's stop wasting money on the U.N.

He's not a general......he's the Secretary of Defense and a former Director of the CIA. And I wish I could have been in the room, or at least if some news cameraman would have had the idea to pan the audience for a reaction to his blunt and on point observations. Britain and France have always been ready to fight to the last American.

dissolve NATO. maybe then we'll be less apt to jump to war, and less apt to give a crap what the EU thinks.

france and england have been nothing more than a drain. they're "friends" we never really liked to begin with, only became "friends" out of awkward happenstance (perceived financial necessity), and who never really contribute anything to the relationship beyond obligatory gestures... and yet will ask for the world, if needed. how many french boys have died for America relative to American boys for france?

I wish Secretary Gates would also comment on why the US should spend billions on the proposed European anti-missle bases that are supposed to protect Northern Europe from Iranian missles. I have not read that the Europeans or NATO are paying for this! The proposal has stirred up enormous anti-US feeling in Russia, which assumes that the missles will be aimed at them, since their logical offer to host the anti-missle bases has been spurned (look at a globe and note that Russia is BETWEEN Iran and Northern Europe.) US expenditures on NATO ought to be slashed. Nearly all of the nations of Europe have a higher standard of living than we do in the US, yet we pay and pay to protect them. Ain't right...........................elsullo

Ummm.... I've been to Europe (and a few other places/continents) and if you think living in a cramped flat with "chunky water" coming from the taps is a "higher standard of living" then I'm at a loss, but I do agree with you on shouldering the brunt of the expenses for European defense, only to be reviled out the other sides of their mouths.... Ain't right.

He's not a general......he's the Secretary of Defense and a former Director of the CIA. And I wish I could have been in the room, or at least if some news cameraman would have had the idea to pan the audience for a reaction to his blunt and on point observations. Britain and France have always been ready to fight to the last American.

We can do without both the limeys and the white-flag bearers.

Yes I heard this on the news they other day... Good for Him to stand up to NATO... do we really have to lead every battle??? how much money do we need to spend to defend the world???? Other "friends of NATO" need to step up if its the correct fight to have.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top