JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Of all my time in the backwoods, I can't say I've ever run across many car thiefs trolling in the boonies looking to score.
Well it's not the boonies if you're parked by the road. And guess what a lot of the dirt bags ravaging the forest have as a second income? That's right, hitting cars parked by the locked gates for anything valuable. Don't forget too, about people that aren't mobile enough to hike past the gate carrying 20#-30# of stuff for several hundred yards or a mile to and from the car parked outside the gate.

I'm about done with recreating in the outdoors of oregon. It's either going to cost you 5-10 bucks just to PARK, to access, PUBLIC land, or there's going to be gates blocking people that can't necessarily walk in and out.

Hate to say it, but it's getting close to the old "Eff you Oregon! And the people that run you!", For a lot of reasons.

My guess, fire season is just around the corner and its a pretty popular spot for target shooting and a lot of target shooters still dont believe they can start fires target shooting. Ive also seen one campfire out there last summer during the fire ban.
THIS.....I know the reason the gates went up on the north side last year or the year before were for fire reasons. When it starts to get hot they're gonna shut everything down. Reasonably so, people are bubbleguming stoopid.....

THIS.....I know the reason the gates went up on the north side last year or the year before were for fire reasons. When it starts to get hot they're gonna shut everything down. Reasonably so, people are bubbleguming stoopid.....
So they gates are up, but not closed... hopefully until reasonably so.

I wouldn't be surprised if they closed them due to "misuse"... based on all the ditched cars and suspicious people I've seen driving that way late at night.
How many stripped cars and burned down trailers can LEO handle out there.

I worked on a private residence of a gazillionaire that had just installed a $100K+ fancy aluminum gate, it lasted about a week before the tweekers recycled it. :s0140:
There was also the house in Gresham that installed the copper shake roof. 100 year roof they said. :s0112:

-E-

What do you drive bro? Asking for a friend. :p:D
1652577819622.png

Yesterday I noticed a gate being put up at the entrance to Salmonberry Road.

Bummer!
Is this still locked? I wanted to actually try to go shooting this year now that the rains have subsided and perform my ritual clean-up after where I haul out 100 lbs. of other people's trash that should have been put in a landfill. Can't say I'm surprised either if the loggers just got tired of contending for road with vehicles or if ODF became weary of some of the sketchy stuff going on back there.
This really sucks for those of us who want to do serious training and develop our skills (not talking about the yahoos doing mag dumps of 5.56).
I guess I'll see firsthand this coming weekend.

If not, it definitely should be.

I'd much rather they enforce the laws than deny anyone access.
I agree tho, and assume the homeless, criminals, and dumpers are more to blame than anyone at this point.
The blight of Oregon. I would usually leave my pistol in reach with a full magazine for the trip out - just the vibe I started feeling the last couple of years...

The gates are put up by the timber companies. Supposedly, there are agreements between the state and the timber barons to allow recreational use. However, access points are getting fewer and fewer, and Weyerhaeuser is charging for access to the best areas (even for day foot use). As an old native Oregonian it is sad to see areas that have been open for years shut down or set as pay for use. During the Spring Bear Hunt in the Stott Mt and Alsea units access was very limited. Public land hunting is disappearing fast. Either get private access, buy some land, or ???

Well it's not the boonies if you're parked by the road. And guess what a lot of the dirt bags ravaging the forest have as a second income? That's right, hitting cars parked by the locked gates for anything valuable. Don't forget too, about people that aren't mobile enough to hike past the gate carrying 20#-30# of stuff for several hundred yards or a mile to and from the car parked outside the gate.

I'm about done with recreating in the outdoors of oregon. It's either going to cost you 5-10 bucks just to PARK, to access, PUBLIC land, or there's going to be gates blocking people that can't necessarily walk in and out.

Hate to say it, but it's getting close to the old "Eff you Oregon! And the people that run you!", For a lot of reasons.
Parking at the gates is just asking for a car break-in. The only hope is that hopefully the thieves are worried that armed hunters may be nearby. However, most thieves aren't thinking too much.

Honestly surprised you don't have a Tri County Membership.

Honestly surprised you don't have a Tri County Membership.
From what I've heard of the place, I'm not sure it's right for me. Lots' of complaints about ROs power tripping. Maybe TOO much structure and rules beyond basic gun handling safety, which I take seriously of course. But I'm not going to be belittled by someone that likes to think of themselves as a god.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top