JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
In have no intentions of getting out of Dodge so to speak. I live in a small town in an environment I know intimately I feel this gives me an advantage to being on the open road. Where even a teenage girl in a honda can kill all of us in a blink of an eye. What I am looking at is fuel to go the store, to the relatives, to the fresh water source just outside town, etc.

yeah, I'm with you on this. My BOL is my current home. so when some people talk about their B.O.B. to me, mine is a GHB "get home bag" I'm not bugging out anywhere until I have at least touched base with my family, and even then it's not likely to happen that we will bug out with a 2 year old in tow.

We live on a couple acres in the country. we are rural enough and on a remote enough road that I can't really think of a better place to go unless there is an imminent threat such as a wildfire, or Mt. Hood erupting or something like that.

Otherwise, we will likely make our last stand right here. This is why we have stored the Sta-Bil...to be able to use this 50+ gallons to run our generator intermittently for however long we may need to. Our well pump is electric, but at least we have a manual bypass option. but there will be dozens (if not hundreds) of reasons you might need to run a generator over the first few months of a crisis. Not to mention that depending on the situation I may still need to get to work, at least occasionally....which is thankfully only 14 miles away but that is a little more than 1 gallon just for 1 round trip to work. Different situations will call for different measures, but it is hard to imagine a crisis where fuel is not a scarce and precious commodity...I mean it's already pretty valuable NOW while food and ammo are still relatively cheap....

I suspect that the Govt will seize all fuel supplies and institute a rationing system to reduce PPLs freedom of movement. Only the Gooberment and thier evile minions will have fuel. I keep over 100 gallons on hand.

I suspect that the Govt will seize all fuel supplies and institute a rationing system to reduce PPLs freedom of movement. Only the Gooberment and thier evile minions will have fuel. I keep over 100 gallons on hand.

I expect things will really be like the book "One Second After" where a select few in local area's will try to do power grabs and and that exact thing or it could wind up being the gooberment like you said.

Either way, what they do not know will not hurt them, if you have the property and place to store it, I would buy a farmers 300 or 500 gallon tank and put it in a hard see spot on your property, even paint it camouflage. You can pay a local company to come in and fill it initially or do it yourself using 5 & 6 gl cans. personally I would fill it myself by filling up a 1/2 dozen fuel cans every time I went in town. That way no one knows i have it

ERRRR all you guys storing gas in the garage just remember that one gallon of gas equals 16 sticks of dynamite. Plus your insurance company will not pay in a fire if you store gas in the house.

jj

ERRRR all you guys storing gas in the garage just remember that one gallon of gas equals 16 sticks of dynamite. Plus your insurance company will not pay in a fire if you store gas in the house.

jj

This is what they invented cheap metal yard sheds for. Granted if 10 gallons of gas ignited in my yard shed it would damage my house. But the Cement Board Hardie plank on the side of my house near the garden shed would help protect it.

Your storage system seems overly complicated. I have 6, 5 gallon cans. I add some stabil and put the date on the can when I fill it. I continously use the fuel for the mower, tiller, quad, etc. The oldest jug sits at the front of the row. If I get to the 6-9 month level, I pour it in the truck. This method enables me to constantly add fresh fuel to the bunch. Filling a gas can at the gas station every week seems like a time burner.

jj

I knew about inside the house and that it's even illegal here, but not the garage. For decades homes have had to be built with a firewall separating the house from the garage. That usually just means sheet rocking all demising walls that separate the garage. I wish we had a claims adjuster on here to weigh in on that one. I know of no one who doesn't keep gas in the garage for the lawnmower, etc., and I've never heard of a house fire claim being denied because of it. ??

Actually a gallon of gasoline liquid won't even burn. It is only when the gasoline is vaporized and mixed with an oxygen source like air that is dangerous. As to how many sticks of dynamite that would depend on the percentage of Nitroglycerin in the TNT and how big of stick your talking about. But yes it is very dangerous.

Who do you insure through? Maybe I should change to your company. However I would still be interested in you calling your agent and asking if there is a problem with storeing more than normal amount of fuel in your garage, say 100 gal.

jj

Who do you insure through? Maybe I should change to your company. However I would still be interested in you calling your agent and asking if there is a problem with storeing more than normal amount of fuel in your garage, say 100 gal.

jj

If it's not an exception in the policy, it doesn't exist. And BTW, asking your agent what your policy is, is like asking a cop what the law is. They don't know. Ask ten of them and you'll likely get ten different answers. Also, what the agent says unless you get it in writing won't help. The policy rules.

BTW, I recall the fire dept ordering a guy to remove a motorcycle from his living room in a duplex, under threat of calling the police and having him cited for storing a flammable liquid in a dwelling. The guy didn't have a garage but babied his bike.

If he had a garage, it would have been no problem. I wound up letting him keep it in my garage because we were good friends.

I wouldn't be shocked to learn That some insurance companies prohibit storage of large amounts of gas, but the policy rules.

All of these reasons are why I suggest storing fuel in a tank on a remote part of the property and filling it yourself once it is filled you just buy it when the prie is down and when the price is up you use your reserve supply. In SHTF situation you are going to want enough fuel to last you just long enough to make adjustments to alternative sources, because if the tap is turned off, no matter how much you have it will run out sooner or later.

I know a lot of farmers and they all have two tanks one for gasoline and one for diesel. Both are above ground and at 200 feet from their home and 50 feet or more from a building. Once the price of fuel went up high and stayed there some started noticing the tanks were running out faster and pads locks broken.

Farmers and ranchers not only need a large supply of readily available fuel without going to town, but with the right farm certifications, they don't pay the road tax on it either so they get it cheaper. Of course none of them would put it in their cars or pickups, LOL.

jj

ours is stored in an outbuilding....away from the house- but thanks for the head's up. I would be willing to bet that even if it is not specified in the policy somewhere the ins. co would TRY and deny your claim if you had 50-100+ gallons stored in a house/garage. Then YOU would have to sue them....then they would try and convince the judge/jury that it is IMPLIED in the contract that a home/ranch policy only covers normal residential uses and normal residential situations etc....then it would be up to that particular judge/jury to determine whether or not they think your storage and storage methods falls under "normal residential use" or some crap like that. I'm not an insurance agent or anything...this just seems like the way these things go down....

You wouldn't go to court. You'd complain to the Insurance Commissioner. The insurance companies are scared to death of the commissioner's office which can fine them or even revoke their license to do biz in Oregon. They can also order the claim paid.

If you got an unfavorable ruling from the IC, you'd have your policy and the laws explained to you.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top