JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have a gas piston Ruger AR15 and to me it is vastly superior to the original direct impingement design, sorry Stoner... It stays a hell of a lot cooler and cleaner, has an adjustable gas block and comes with only a small weight penalty vs DI. I know Ruger had some issue with carrier tilt causing premature wear in the early design but they figured that out and is now a non-issue. I don't understand why gas piston ARs haven't eclipsed DI by now but I suppose it just has to do with tradition and companies' fear of departing from such a tremendously popular design...

This VZ58 is also a gas piston design. It doesn't have the modularity of the AR but otherwise I think it's a better rifle chambered in a round I prefer...

I put the AR stock adapter on there and a custom made grip but it's bone stock otherwise. Anyway just wanted to share some pics, there is no point to this post otherwise..
IMG_2824.JPG IMG_2825.JPG IMG_2826.JPG IMG_2829.JPG

Last Edited:
I have a gas piston Ruger AR15 and to me it is vastly superior to the original direct impingement design, sorry Stoner... It stays a hell of a lot cooler and cleaner, has an adjustable gas block and comes with zero downside vs DI. I know Ruger had some issue with carrier tilt causing premature wear in the early design but they figured that out and is now a non-issue. I don't understand why gas piston ARs haven't eclipsed DI by now but I suppose it just has to do with tradition and companies' fear of departing from such a tremendously popular design...
DI design is more accurate. What proof do I have? For Highpower Rifle Competition were accuracy
is king they are exclusively DI.:rolleyes: Try shooting prone at 600 yards with your VZ58.

DSC00194.JPG

DI is cheaper to make and maintain, that's why.

Sure but Bushmasters are cheaper to make than Larues and neither has much trouble selling. Endless other examples, not everyone cares about cheap.

Cheaper to maintain how?

Last Edited:
Sure but Bushmills are cheaper to make than Larues and neither has much trouble selling. Endless other examples, not everyone cares about cheap.

Cheaper to maintain how?
Instead of taking apart and fixing anything wrong with the piston you can simply swap out the gas tube.
I think cleaning is the same, but repair is easier with DI AR's. Hence why the military uses DI rifles, or was that not your point?

@ron I thought the same, but wasn't sure with the multitude of DI and piston rfiles so I just let that lay.

PS: I think @ron is more referring to the way recoil transfers, which I think falls more straight back in DI rifles... so I've heard.

Instead of taking apart and fixing anything wrong with the piston you can simply swap out the gas tube.
I think cleaning is the same, but repair is easier with DI AR's. Hence why the military uses DI rifles, or was that not your point?

@ron I thought the same, but wasn't sure with the multitude of DI and piston rfiles so I just let that lay.

PS: I think @ron is more referring to the way recoil transfers, which I think falls more straight back in DI rifles... so I've heard.

I think the AK47 showed us in abundance that gas pistons are not lacking in the reliability or complicated or hard to keep clean department, especially compared to the M16.

All in all though I just feel like there should be more market segment for gas piston guns. I'd rather have a gun that shoots cooler and cleaner and gives up a nat's bubblegum of accuracy (if that's even true) that my reddot that I almost exclusively use cannot even take advantage of.

If I was concerned with absolute accuracy I'd be talking about a higher powered bolt gun anyway so that argument carries almost no weight with me.

Last Edited:
So you think most AR builders are building them for the less than 1 percent of users who shoot their AR at 600 yards and demand the utmost accuracy? Me neither.

This DI vs piston discussion is great, but the title is misleading. I haven't seen a single picture of an assault rifle! Some pictures of modern sporting rifles, but no assault rifles.

I'm no expert, but seems like DI stuff is more common and cheaper generally, which is why my ARs are setup that way. Maybe someday I'll go piston, but it will likely be the exception and not the rule.

Piston rifles were a fad that has faded fast due to false claims of longer life and better reliability. Just look at the factory built offerings and ponder why piston rifles are almost non existent these days.

This DI vs piston discussion is great, but the title is misleading. I haven't seen a single picture of an assault rifle! Some pictures of modern sporting rifles, but no assault rifles.

I'm no expert, but seems like DI stuff is more common and cheaper generally, which is why my ARs are setup that way. Maybe someday I'll go piston, but it will likely be the exception and not the rule.

Title edited. This is a piston vs DI thread. Not an "assault rifle" thread. Or to be more accurate, a modern sporting rifle. :)

Last Edited:
I do agree that the gas in face with my AR is annoying... otherwise I don't really see much difference.

Also, unless you're talking about the STG-44, there are no assault rifles. Even then the literal translation is "storm rifle"
and I'm assuming that it is not advocated language because it has a negative connotation in media.

I do agree that the gas in face with my AR is annoying... otherwise I don't really see much difference.

Also, unless you're talking about the STG-44, there are no assault rifles. Even then the literal translation is "storm rifle"
and I'm assuming that it is not advocated language because it has a negative connotation in media.

The big difference I have experienced, and it is big, is in operating temps and how much more quickly the action gets gummed up with DI. Piston has a huge advantage in these two areas.

.. meanwhile now days so many people refer to their guns as "weapons". It's the most commonly used reference I hear from the gunner crowd. Talk about polarizing the issue with the media/antis... Almost none of my guns are weapons, they will never be used as such... They are toys and guns and rifles and pistols but not weapons.

The big difference I have experienced, and it is big, is in operating temps and how much more quickly the action gets gummed up with DI. Piston has a huge advantage in these two areas.

.. meanwhile now days so many people refer to their guns as "weapons". It's the most commonly used reference I hear from the gunner crowd. Talk about polarizing the issue with the media/antis... Almost none of my guns are weapons, they will never be used as such... They are toys and guns and rifles and pistols but not weapons.
Yeah, all that gas going right into the action makes it run dirty. The temps can also be pretty annoying after a few mag dumps, but my wallet usually starts burning before my hand on the rifle does.

Yeah, you can call it a club if ya want, but there is still no such thing as an assault rifle... I do agree, my firearms designated purpose is to stand by while not being enjoyed. I call them my insurance policy... ;)

Why is everyone such a pansy about saying assault rifle?
I've always considered an "Assualt Rifle" to have full Auto/Select Fire, not what it looks like. I guess I'd just feel funny about calling my semi-automatic 10/22 or AR15 an "Assault Rifle"

Just like I wouldn't call a civilian Hummer an Assault Vehicle.

Using your previous words...why are you being such a "pansy" about saying "weapon"?

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top