JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Just a word of warning, it is nearly impossible to find the new condition good old standard gas cans in either metal or plastic which are not the new CARB compliant type with the funky spouts. It took me six months to find a company in the south that has the plastic Scepter gas cans. I paid $45 each for them and can easily sell them for $60-80 on eBay. My advice is if you are willing to go with used metal cans, watch Craigslist and eBay. If you want new Scepter cans it may be worth a trip to Canada as they are still available there.

Being in the right place at the right time really helps. I picked up a few older jerry cans (insides where still pristine) that looked a little rough for $10-15ea. GI-Joes used to sell blitz branded jerry cans, and I got a couple there when they had them on sale. That was 2 or 3 years ago.

Next, I want to get a couple of <broken link removed> and haul them on the roof of my SUV. But I need to build my basket first so that it will integrate. Should be fun.

I bought one of the new (plastic Blitz) CARB-compliant gas cans last weekend. To be honest, it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. However, I'd still go with a metal can or a Scepter w/o the funky spout for survival purposes.

I have been looking for some good plastic ones to replace my old metal cans for awhile (some corrosion in mine) and haven't had any luck locally and not much online either. What is current issue military and why can't I get them?? I have been considering just going to my local hardware store and getting the highest quality closest dimensions possible but need something UV rated so it doesn't crack.

You can get new manufacture NATO jerry cans from Deutsche Optik. They aren't cheap, but if you're looking for good quality metal cans without the CARB BS, your options are pretty limited. Apparently, they had so much demand, they contracted with the manufacturer in Europe.

Good Luck!

I don't know for sure but diesel cans might not have that CARB garbage. Also the ATV fuel jugs were still available last time I saw witihout them. My plan is to shop garage sales for spouts and buy new cans. The problem is the new cans don't have a vent. Fill them at your local feed store to avoid the ethenol fuel.

I wrote up this post a year or so ago for a 4x4 forum I belong to:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
After watching the governmental CARB laws take away the scepter options, I decided to go a different route. This is the Moeller Marine 12 Gal low profile tank I ordered. Fits well on my stock roof rack and I also strap it down with ratcheting straps.

This tank is pretty heavy duty, constructed of plastic at least as thick as the scepter tanks (it should be, as Moeller and Scepter are the part of the same company). Being a topside marine tank, it's designed to resist exposure to the elements, salt water, etc. and is guaranteed not to leak.

The tank has a fuel gauge built in and a port to tie in a fuel line (which I have removed because I won't be using that).

I have some fuel grade clear plastic tubing with a simple siphon and run it directly to the tank. Just start the siphon action and it flows about 2.5 gallons per minute, or 12 gallons in just under 5 minutes.

Here are the costs involved:

Tank = $60 shipped from Amazon.com
Fuel hose = $12 from any auto parts store
Simple Siphon = $5 (I bought a pack of 3 for $15)
Ratcheting straps = $12 from Walmart

So for about $90, I have an additional 12 gallons for those extended trips, which should amount to 180-200 more miles between fill-ups.

031212_07098-72dpi.jpg
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Since I originally did this, I have bought another just like it and now have 24 gallons of fuel up top for long, expedition style runs.

In some states its the law that fuel storage tanks have to be filled while sitting on the ground, due to static electricity concerns. However, I have filled it on the roof before without any problems...the plastic is an anti-static plastic.

The tank measurements are 24.00"Lx18.00"Wx11.50"H. I can fit two of them side by side on the roof rack of my SUV.

When traveling, you do need to leave the vent open, as pressure changes will cause the tank to swell or depress. I've seen this happen as I tend to do significant elevation changes when 4 wheelin'. But I have never had any leakage, even on steep side to side or fore/aft inclines with the vent open.

This has really worked out to be an excellent solution for me.

I bought a few used cans and even though they were pretty clean inside I used the fuel tank prep and sealant from these guys <broken link removed> . I've used it and they're other products quite a bit. Rust is pretty much a non issue when your done.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top