JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Ok, I've put several AR's together over the years and still don't know the correct way to do it. Are new barrels gas ports still spaced for the end plate associated with drop in handguards or are they spaced for a free float design. Meaning, the distance from the bolt face. Also, what is the proper procedure for aligning the gas block from right to left? I guess I've gotten lucky the last ten or so times but am struggling with the new barrel for my AR10.

And there's always the spaghetti trick. Don't knock til ya try it. Works better than you know if you haven't had to do it. I had to do it once after someone used their fancy bore scope and said it was good to go only to find out it really wasn't.
But yeah.. Dimple that barrel and make life easy.

And there's always the spaghetti trick. Don't knock til ya try it. Works better than you know if you haven't had to do it. I had to do it once after someone used their fancy bore scope and said it was good to go only to find out it really wasn't.
But yeah.. Dimple that barrel and make life easy.
I'm always interested in cheapskate tricks, it allows me to sink $1000 into $500 guns all the time 😁. On a serious note, I'm listening about the trick.

I'm always interested in cheapskate tricks, it allows me to sink $1000 into $500 guns all the time 😁. On a serious note, I'm listening about the trick.
OH. Alrighty. hold the barrel with gas port facing up. Take a piece of UNCOOKED spaghetti. Stick it in the hole and break it so it is flush with the exterior of the barrel. Now slide the gas block over ball parking the alignment. Now flip the barrel over so the gas port hole is facing the ground and look down the barrel, preferably with some light on the other side of the barrel so you can see in . Once the spaghetti "disappears you know you found the right alignment. Give a little spin to tighten up the connection to the barrel. Spin the barrel right side up again. if you see the spaghetti you know you're right on. If you don't you're a smidge off. lightly maneuver the alignment til you do and repeat accordingly...
To remove the spaghetti when done, meaning the spaghetti move freely in and out of the gas block. with the barrel oriented so you can see the spaghetti, point the muzzle at the ground and put a cleaning rod through and it should break in two. pick up the pieces make sure there's two and it's the right amount. inspect the barrel .
Works like a charm.

OH. Alrighty. hold the barrel with gas port facing up. Take a piece of UNCOOKED spaghetti. Stick it in the hole and break it so it is flush with the exterior of the barrel. Now slide the gas block over ball parking the alignment. Now flip the barrel over so the gas port hole is facing the ground and look down the barrel, preferably with some light on the other side of the barrel so you can see in . Once the spaghetti "disappears you know you found the right alignment. Give a little spin to tighten up the connection to the barrel. Spin the barrel right side up again. if you see the spaghetti you know you're right on. If you don't you're a smidge off. lightly maneuver the alignment til you do and repeat accordingly...
To remove the spaghetti when done, meaning the spaghetti move freely in and out of the gas block. with the barrel oriented so you can see the spaghetti, point the muzzle at the ground and put a cleaning rod through and it should break in two. pick up the pieces make sure there's two and it's the right amount. inspect the barrel .
Works like a charm.
Genius!!! I know what I'm doing tomorrow, thank you!

You can DIY a dimpling/alignment jig if you have an old set-screw gas block of the appropriate diameter that you're willing to easily modify.
I happen to have an extra .936" gas block that if not ruined may turn into another build, LOL. If the spaghetti trick doesn't work I'll look into modifying it.

@Saladfarmer, the spaghetti trick worked wonderfully! Thank you for sharing that trick. I'm more reflect than professional tech and I will use this alway now.
Sweet! The 'ol Cletus trick worked. Hats off to you for understanding my explanation without pictures. Wish I knew who to give credit for me knowing about it, but "merican ingenuity at work without duct tape is always a good value.

Sweet! The 'ol Cletus trick worked. Hats off to you for understanding my explanation without pictures. Wish I knew who to give credit for me knowing about it, but "merican ingenuity at work without duct tape is always a good value.
It is an old trick that has been around for years, Brownells even sells (or at least use to) a fancy version.

https://www.facebook.com/Schoolofth...alignment-method-using-pasta/405064776841669/

That said, there is more to proper installation of a gas block than alignment. I have seen several cases where a LPGB w/o a dimpled barrel have shifted out of alignment from use or impact shutting the gun down.

Do what you want but all my LPGBs under a handguard get a dimpled barrel, knurled set screws and red Loctite. That is how BCM, SIONICS and SOLGW all do it so it is time proven. All exposed gas blocks get pinned. I'll never use a clamp-on gas block.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top