JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
In our group we have two 530hcx's, one 120, and one 130 and they all communicate and send position to each other.

I heard that there is a new model coming our soon that has a camera in it, something like a five-eighty something....would be really nice to have. I see alot of interesting things while hunting, the camera would be a fun option.

I would not buy anything less than a 530hcx, I love mine and the couple guys with lesser radios regret their decision. The GPS doesn't lose location and the radio goes a much longer distance... my 2 cents..

Another question.

Does anyone with a Rino 110 have the ability to send notes? Is that a feature that's available on the older Rino units? I see something referenced on Garmin's website with regard to 3.90 firmware, <broken link removed>

Just checking to see if someone else with a Rino 110 with the older 3.7-3.9 firmware can send/receive notes to another unit.

I have a pair of the Rino 110s. The only problem I have is they loose GPS contact in heavy timber. My Magellan seems to keep better contact. I have never used the radio function on the Rino since I normally hunt alone,hence the kids got me the pair.

My buddies and I have 3 Rino 120s we use out in the woods. They take a lot of punishment, but they've worked well over the past few hunting seasons. I like the fact that you can download detailed maps of a particular ares and load them on the GPS, along with waypoints and areas of interest when you are out hiking around. I'm thinking about upgrading to something with a color display before next year.

I to was very happy with my 120 until I borrowed my buddies Rhino with the color screen. Now i feel I NEED to have one with the color screen. So it looks like I might have a spare for camp next season.

........ The only problem I have is they loose GPS contact in heavy timber. My Magellan seems to keep better contact........

The ability to retain a Fixed GPS position is heavy timber is minimally dependent on the brand of Unit one is using. Yes, newer units will have a better Chipset that may process bits of signal better within the updated software but GPS is still almost solely based upon Line of Sight with your Satellite configuration overhead.

You will get a quicker signal fix on a south facing slope than a north facing slope, why, because there is a higher conglomeration of GPS satellites near the equator at any given time, than near the poles.

You may get a perfect fix in one location under a slight tree canopy, and then 4 hours later get absolutely nothing since the GPS constellation of satellites is now completely different.

My money still goes to Garmin for their customer service and high quality products. Just my 0.02c

I don't know about brand differences, but between the regular Rinos and the HCX models with the high sensitivity receivers there is a huge difference. With my HCX model I almost never lose satellite signal and we lose it regularly with the lower models. As a result, their radio doesn't send location because it doesn't know where it is... We hunt in very deep, heavily forested canyons and I only lost reception once or twice all season. My 530HCX even gets solid reception in the lower floor of my 2-story house...

I bought two Rino110s and used them on the last hunt. They really burned through the batteries, and the radio wasn't up to par unless we were pretty close.

There was a 530Hcx in our group and his was great, but it's heavy as a brick. Everything else about it I really liked.

No auto broadcast, and a position can and will only be sent no sooner than 30 seconds apart due to FCC regs. Part of the FCC allowing Garmin to transmit positions came with restrictions, but Garmin is one of the only companies that the FCC has allowed permission to use this feature legally. Your position is only sent to those on the same channel and squelch code. This Key Peer-to-peer positioning feature is the main reason I got this unit over all others and felt it justified the cost. My hunting buddies and I think it is invaluable.

The FCC licensing goes for all radios that broadcast above a watt of power. GMRS on the garmin uses 5 watts. Laymens terms, if your going to use the radio in town on these channels, better make sure you get a fcc lic, and try not to "walk over" anyone else who has the auth to come check your lic. IE airports, Military base, ect. If your in the woods for a hunt, your prob gonna be ok w/o the lic..... If someone asks to to change channels, just do it.

Good luck with your research, each GPS unit made has its own qualities and characteristics that are more or less important to its end user. I think you know my feeling but its also swayed because my hunting buddies all have 530's. One problem with the rino's is they only communicate (so i've read) the peer-to-peer between the same Model range. IE 520, 530's don't send position to 100 series.
You said it, it really is invaluable, especially in new or unfimiliar terrain, when you want to split up, but still know exactly where eachother are. The text message feature is nice to, if you're in a pos. where you can't make noise. Me & my huntin buddy both have the 350's, & his old man has a 520, we communicate no problem:s0155:

I have a 530Hcx and I love it. I've been using it for 3 years while hunting with the 24k Topo maps. Plus, I took up Geocaching with my daughter using it this summer (it has some fun geocaching features). I've used both the GPS and FRS radio in both steep terrain between parties (Hells Canyon) and heavily wooded areas. I've never had a problem with either GPS signal loss or picking up my hunting buddies FRS radios. One other in our party has a 530Hcx and the position polling rocks (yes you have to key the radio to send the position). I have the lithium-ion battery (2 of them) for it and have found that I can go two hunting days before I have to change batteries leaving the unit on all day.

I also take it to the range for the temperature reading (Temp is not corrected for altitude) as well. I wish it had a barometric pressure capability I guess I'll just have to get another gadget for that :)

Well it looks like I'll have to find some good deals on the 530HCX models. They just seem so much more of what I want, except the weight. Cheapest I found was $399. Anyone seem them less than that?

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top