Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Gardens vs. Asian Fruit Flies

Discussion in 'Preparedness & Survival' started by TAT2D, Mar 19, 2010.

1. TAT2D

TAT2D Portland Member

DALE's note re: the fruit tree sale (in the classifieds) jogged me to post this info --

I hadn't heard about it before a couple days ago, but apparently there's a new fruit fly worked it's way into the Willamette valley. Unlike others that go for rotting fruit, these love ripe, just ready to pick fruit. Seems like you owe it to yourself, your neighbors and the commercial growers to get ahead of the curve on these and be aware if/when they move into your garden.

I googled "'asian fruit fly' Willamette" for a ton of links, here's a couple:

Asian fruit fly invasion could ruin Oregon crops
    http://www.oregonlive.com/business/index.ssf/2010/03/asian_fly_invasion_could_ruin.html

Still Here: The Tiny Fly That Threatens Oregon’s Fruit Crop
    http://www.naturaloregon.org/2010/03/12/still-here-the-tiny-fly-that-threatens-oregons-fruit-crop/

A house some friends and I rented in Corvallis <cough> years ago had a plum tree in the front yard that I used to go and gorge myself on. (And never had any distress from it...go figure.) I've been thinking about getting a plum tree for years...

MrB

2. Gunner3456

Gunner3456 Salem Well-Known Member

Dang, I wish we'd stop importing produce from other countries. This little nasty came from Asia.

3. Wheeler44

Wheeler44 SW Washington Member

We send our produce and products around the world, including the attendant nuisance "critters"......And we get 'em back as good as we give....

4. dave

dave Independence Member

013.jpg
    I hang these up in my trees. They are reusable and organic. They work excellent as you
    can see.

Most nursery supply places sell them. I no longer have the box with the name and info on it. But I believe they were around 6 bucks for a pair. Apply the paste and hang 1 or 2 in each tree.

5. raftman

raftman Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Plus the Asian fruit flies are smaller and more efficient than the American ones. :D

6. Decker

Decker My house Active Member

What the heck is that thing called?

-d

7. Wheeler44

Wheeler44 SW Washington Member

A sticky ball...often used in conjunction with "ammonia traps" to determine pest fly emergence....When the flies show up on the ball...It's time for BT (Bacillus thuringiensis)..

8. Gunner3456

Gunner3456 Salem Well-Known Member

A Red Delicious apple. :D

9. dave

dave Independence Member

A meaty apple thats for sure! I should hang them lower and try for frogs as well.

10. TAT2D

TAT2D Portland Member

Apple Maggot Trap
    http://www.territorialseed.com/product/263/s

MrB