JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Wow, I'm actually surprised... So much for her, what a hypocrite!
"They said allowing guns on campuses would endanger employees, students and visitors, and it would be difficult for officers responding to a shooting to quickly identify a wrongdoer."
Are you kidding? This is a BASIC argument that I thought was past the general public in Arizona! Brewer, you just lost a LOT of support...

Arizona Gov. Brewer Vetoes Bill to Allow Guns on Public College Campuses - FoxNews.com

PHOENIX -- Arizona Gov. Jan Brewer has vetoed a bill to allow guns to be carried on public rights of way on public university and community college campuses.
Gun-rights advocates backed the bill, saying it would help people defend themselves and prevent them from getting in trouble for merely driving through a campus with a gun in a vehicle.
University presidents opposed the bill. They said allowing guns on campuses would endanger employees, students and visitors, and it would be difficult for officers responding to a shooting to quickly identify a wrongdoer.
The bill originally would have applied to campus buildings, including classrooms, by allowing people with concealed weapons permits to carry guns into the facilities.
But it was scaled back during Senate consideration to apply only to rights of way. References to concealed weapons also were removed.

Supporters said they needed to change the bill to only apply to rights of way because the original, broader measure lacked enough support in the House.
The Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence opposed the latest version and sought a veto, even though it said the bill was gutted by the Senate.
Texas legislation similar to the original Arizona bill is stalled in that state, with opposition preventing it from coming to a Senate vote.
Brewer must act by midnight Thursday on another Arizona guns-rights measure that would allow weapons in some government buildings that don't have airport-style security with armed guards and metal detectors.
That bill would not override a separate state law that bars guns in K-12 schools, and it would not disturb a law that gives higher education officials the authority to ban guns.
Also, the legislation would not clear the way for guns to be carried in public-owned convention centers, sports arenas, courthouses, prosecutors' offices and police facilities.
Since becoming governor in January 2009, Brewer has signed several major guns-rights bills. Those included one to allow carrying a concealed weapon without having a state-issued permit, and another to allow carrying a concealed weapon into a bar or restaurant that serves alcohol.

Yep, we have even written her in the past to say thanks for her anti-illegal stance, but now say goodbye to higher ambitions, Janice

It was my understanding that she vetoed the bill because it was very poorly written and could have had potential negative impacts on gun carriers because of it.

It was my understanding that she vetoed the bill because it was very poorly written and could have had potential negative impacts on gun carriers because of it.

That was my understanding as well. You cannot quote reasoning from bill opponents and attribute it to her. If the bill was poorly written and did not clearly delineate where one could and could not carry on campus, then it could cause legal gun carriers to run afoul of a poorly worded law. On occasion, its not a bad thing for a governor/leader to veto something and tell people to re-write it and get it right.

Arizona Gov. Brewer Vetoes Bill to Allow Guns on Public College Campuses - FoxNews.com

The first several paragraphs seem to show quotes from her that she supports expanding gun rights, but wants it well done. Just my two cents. I'm not commenting on her other issues (see illegals) as this is a firearms site, so I'll stick to firearms related issues...

Let's get this straight: a Republican-backed bill is shot down by an NRA-endorsed Republican Governor.
http://www.azleg.gov/legtext/50leg/1r/bills/sb1467p.pdf

Gun-rights advocates had backed the bill, saying it would help people defend themselves and prevent them from getting in trouble for merely driving through a campus with a gun in a vehicle.

Bill is written poorly, so that it's vetoed: is this somehow still the Left's fault? Or maybe we can blame Bill Clinton?

Come on, I expected more hate for the Left from this group. I mean when small erosions of our Second Amendments like these are made, it's always the Liberals and Democrats who are taking away our rights!!!

*chuckle *

Food for thought.

Happy Friday!

Let's get this straight: a Republican-backed bill is shot down by an NRA-endorsed Republican Governor.
http://www.azleg.gov/legtext/50leg/1r/bills/sb1467p.pdf

Gun-rights advocates had backed the bill, saying it would help people defend themselves and prevent them from getting in trouble for merely driving through a campus with a gun in a vehicle.

Bill is written poorly, so that it's vetoed: is this somehow still the Left's fault? Or maybe we can blame Bill Clinton?

Come on, I expected more hate for the Left from this group. I mean when small erosions of our Second Amendments like these are made, it's always the Liberals and Democrats who are taking away our rights!!!

*chuckle *

Food for thought.

Happy Friday!

WTF are you talking about, no one has tried to blame anyone but Brewer. It's a lefty ploy to pass the "Bush" err buck...

Just because a bill is backed by republicans doesn't make it necessarily well written. If it fails to clearly delineate the rules regarding carry on campus, then it SHOULD HAVE BEEN VETOED! If it's not clear, then all it does is give those who disagree with the law the room to interpret in a way that will get people in trouble. I feel like sometimes laws get backed or endorsed simply because they're a start. That's useless. Spend resources getting it right, not just passable...

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top