Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Garand parts?

Discussion in 'Rifle Discussion' started by F2CMaDMaXX, Jun 10, 2016.

1. F2CMaDMaXX

F2CMaDMaXX West of Portland from England Bullet goes where now? Staff Member Bronze Supporter 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

I'm finally putting my Garand back together, having to Flitz various parts to lose the light rust in places.

Anyway, the butt plate has completely lost it's parkerising on the outside, so i'm looking at a replacement.

I've found some repro/new plates here: Amazon.com : AmmoGarand M1 Garand Butt Plate New Replacement Fully Assembled : Sports & Outdoors (https://www.amazon.com/AmmoGarand-Garand-Plate-Replacement-Assembled/dp/B0111GZG9G)

Does anyone have any other easy order/good places to look just in case, this price seems ok.

Thanks.

Velzey likes this.
  2. jbett98

jbett98 NW Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Why not have Velzey re-park it for you. That way you keep it original.

F2CMaDMaXX and etrain16 like this.
  3. etrain16

etrain16 Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

F2CMaDMaXX likes this.
  4. F2CMaDMaXX

F2CMaDMaXX West of Portland from England Bullet goes where now? Staff Member Bronze Supporter 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

Mainly because it's worn metal and nothing on it says it's original. I'm also assuming it'll cost more/same as that new repro i linked?

5. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Sub Light Speed Well-Known Member

Always look to Sarco, they always have M-1 parts, there also Numeric, but its a chore to look through there stuff!

GOG, AndyinEverson and F2CMaDMaXX like this.
  6. Velzey

Velzey Estacada, Oregon Gunsmith Gunsmith Bronze Vendor Bronze Supporter

7. F2CMaDMaXX

Thanks for the replies and help all!

Hmm, certainly costs more :(

Numeric is a recon used/worn part for $43 shipped. ($7.50 shipping based on part cost is a little 'off')

Sarco is ~$46 shipped for new old stock.

AmmoGarand is new manufacture for ~$24 shipped.

The gun is not in *great* condition, i cheaped out a little for a gun that's nice, but not in new condition, stock is ok, but is definitely used, metal is fair condition, with the exception of the butt plate, as i said, being completely metal on the outside, rather than parkerised.

It's been in parts for nearly a year as i was disappointed with the rust spots in places that i couldn't quite clean up properly, but as i mentioned, i realised i could use Flitz on them and it's helped a lot to clean up the little spots here and there.
    It does mean though, that i need to strip the trigger assembly again :( It's the one thing that i'd reassembled and oiled all over.

Anyway, i'm new and not really that good at this, it's my only used firearm and i do like it, but it's a little disheartening considering the money i spent to get it.

GOG, Ura-Ki and Velzey like this.
  8. F2CMaDMaXX

Just to give an idea, this is pretty much the exact condition mine is in (pic is of one for sale on AmmoGarand)

yhst-24947587498613_2419_718750735.jpg

GOG, Ura-Ki and Velzey like this.
  9. Velzey

Send it over and I will park it for you!

AndyinEverson and F2CMaDMaXX like this.
  10. F2CMaDMaXX

What do you charge for that?

11. Velzey

@F2CMaDMaXX your inbox is full! Trying to send you a PM

F2CMaDMaXX likes this.
  12. AndyinEverson

AndyinEverson Everson, Wa. Well-Known Member

I'd go with either re-parkerizing or buying a replacement GI issue butt plate.
    I get that the GI issue one is more expensive than a cheaper Chinese made one , but it is a GI rifle , it deserves a GI issue butt plate.
    That being said ... I don't see too much wrong with the original one you have , I'd go with the repark offer if it was mine.
    Andy

F2CMaDMaXX, Ura-Ki and Velzey like this.
  13. 2A2Dend

2A2Dend .. Well-Known Member

For nostalgia and originality, the patina in the rifle should be hint of direction. A NOS butt plate is fine and good, but if it makes the rest of the rifle subdued, I'd have to go in the direction of reparkerizing. I would consider having the whole rifle re-done instead of one part. But that's me.

I would even consider giving the rifle a deep cleaning and then oil the heck out of it.

GOG, F2CMaDMaXX, Ura-Ki and 1 other person like this.
  14. F2CMaDMaXX

Sorry, didn't realise the inbox capacity had changed (down) for Bronze supporters :( I was about 150% capacity :(

15. F2CMaDMaXX

I agree on the 'matching/direction' thinking for parts, it's why i questioned about spending that money on the NOS part when the rest of the rifle isn't going to in matching condition.

I am also essentially doing a deep cleaning, it's literally stripped right down, with the exception of the trigger assembly (as i've already reassembled that) and the bands on the wood.

AndyinEverson likes this.
  16. Orlando8

Orlando8 Ohio New Member

Original USGI buttplates are not cheap as they are one of the most worn parts
    If have 15 or so, they have been refinished. The top one is available but may not be in your price range $45 plus ship.
    DSC00257_zpsd08aibtf.jpg

17. F2CMaDMaXX

Certainly for those looking to have an original rifle, no exceptions.

18. F2CMaDMaXX

Thought i'd grab pics of my current one.

20160611_192746.jpg 20160611_192755.jpg 20160611_192813.jpg