JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I'm finally putting my Garand back together, having to Flitz various parts to lose the light rust in places.

Anyway, the butt plate has completely lost it's parkerising on the outside, so i'm looking at a replacement.

I've found some repro/new plates here: Amazon.com : AmmoGarand M1 Garand Butt Plate New Replacement Fully Assembled : Sports & Outdoors (https://www.amazon.com/AmmoGarand-Garand-Plate-Replacement-Assembled/dp/B0111GZG9G)

Does anyone have any other easy order/good places to look just in case, this price seems ok.

Thanks.

Mainly because it's worn metal and nothing on it says it's original. I'm also assuming it'll cost more/same as that new repro i linked?

Thanks for the replies and help all!

Hmm, certainly costs more :(

Numeric is a recon used/worn part for $43 shipped. ($7.50 shipping based on part cost is a little 'off')

Sarco is ~$46 shipped for new old stock.

AmmoGarand is new manufacture for ~$24 shipped.

The gun is not in *great* condition, i cheaped out a little for a gun that's nice, but not in new condition, stock is ok, but is definitely used, metal is fair condition, with the exception of the butt plate, as i said, being completely metal on the outside, rather than parkerised.

It's been in parts for nearly a year as i was disappointed with the rust spots in places that i couldn't quite clean up properly, but as i mentioned, i realised i could use Flitz on them and it's helped a lot to clean up the little spots here and there.
It does mean though, that i need to strip the trigger assembly again :( It's the one thing that i'd reassembled and oiled all over.

Anyway, i'm new and not really that good at this, it's my only used firearm and i do like it, but it's a little disheartening considering the money i spent to get it.

Just to give an idea, this is pretty much the exact condition mine is in (pic is of one for sale on AmmoGarand)

yhst-24947587498613_2419_718750735.jpg

I'd go with either re-parkerizing or buying a replacement GI issue butt plate.
I get that the GI issue one is more expensive than a cheaper Chinese made one , but it is a GI rifle , it deserves a GI issue butt plate.
That being said ... I don't see too much wrong with the original one you have , I'd go with the repark offer if it was mine.
Andy

For nostalgia and originality, the patina in the rifle should be hint of direction. A NOS butt plate is fine and good, but if it makes the rest of the rifle subdued, I'd have to go in the direction of reparkerizing. I would consider having the whole rifle re-done instead of one part. But that's me.

I would even consider giving the rifle a deep cleaning and then oil the heck out of it.

I agree on the 'matching/direction' thinking for parts, it's why i questioned about spending that money on the NOS part when the rest of the rifle isn't going to in matching condition.

I am also essentially doing a deep cleaning, it's literally stripped right down, with the exception of the trigger assembly (as i've already reassembled that) and the bands on the wood.

Original USGI buttplates are not cheap as they are one of the most worn parts
If have 15 or so, they have been refinished. The top one is available but may not be in your price range $45 plus ship.

DSC00257_zpsd08aibtf.jpg