JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hi Fellas,

I've got some questions for you Garand Guys and wouldn't mind some feedback.

I got my first M1 a while back. I was able to finally bite the bullet and pay good money for one. It's a Winchester receiver with some Winny parts, and a SA barrel that's supposedly shot out (M3, T5 ?) Every one said to shoot it before making any decisions about it's accuracy. I haven't shot it yet, but I came across a Criterion (M2, T1) for dirt, so I'm changing out the barrel. While I'm at it I've got virgin Boyds furniture, and I'm going go give a try on bedding it properly. The stock wood isn't Winchester but I don't want to hurt it, it's tiger striped.

My question is, what other bits should I replace while I'm at it? Even if certain springs and rods are Winchester part numbered, they'll still make serviceable spares. Thanks in advance, PAX

You should shoot it before you do a barrel swap, but if you really want a different barrel, get a brand new one, rather than a used barrel with a muzzle erosion of 2.

IMHO.....

Disassemble her, clean, inspect (replace the parts that show failure or excessive wear), lube her up and reassemble. Shoot it first. Use good ammo.

Most people.....
Think of changing out the springs.

I usually buy only SG grade from the CMP. If you bought a lesser grade.....well, inspect carefully.

Aloha, Mark

Last Edited:
Congratulations. +1 on shoot it first. Unless you're planning to use it in High Power matches, I wouldn't mess with it too much. It's probably just fine at 100 yards. Most people don't shoot their Garands too much further than that.

Depends on where you want to do with the rifle? :rolleyes: Properly fitting the new stock is very important for accuracy.
Also tight fit on the Gas Cylinder, lower band, handguards and receiver. Several areas need attention for proper fit
and clearances. I have installed several Boyd's stocks for M1s and every one was real tight but needed a little fitting.
They did shoot well with the Boyd's stock. You disassemble the rifle as few times as possible. Maybe only once a
year if you shoot it enough. Bedding the stock will give a better long term shooting accuracy but mostly noticed only
by an Expert shooter with match ammo. If you shoot a match with it glass bedding is not in the "As Issued" class.
I would shoot the rifle with some Garand safe ammo see how it does.

Congratulations. +1 on shoot it first. Unless you're planning to use it in High Power matches, I wouldn't mess with it too much. It's probably just fine at 100 yards. Most people don't shoot their Garands too much further than that.

Since you've mention Hi-Power Compettition.

Have you considered .308W instead? I mean......if/since you're gonna replace the barrel. Think of your re-load costs and availability of mucho brass.

Aloha, Mark

I vote for leaving it alone, at least until you see how it actually shoots. You might find that it doesn't do all that badly and shoots at least as well as you do. Particularly if you're not using it for match shooting.

Preserving the rifle as-is will likely make it more valuable for when it's time to let it go.

Thanks fellas,
It's an Mi from the DMC to CMP transition period so it was gone through back then. I got all the qualification paper work, some letters, manuals, catalogs, & booklets from the original owner. Mess of ammo & clips too. He said it shot good 40 years ago and didn't run it much. Other than the bedding, I won't be doing any of the heavy machine work. I've got a smith who does M1 magic who'll get after it. It's my only one and I'd like it top to be notch.

Shoot it 1st fer sure.
Check the crown too.
A MW of 3, or a TE of 5 don't necessesarily mean it won't shoot good.
But, it is in the ballpark of replacing IF you want to get serious abt accuracy.

If you do decide to replace the Bbl Do give Consideration to going 7.62 NATO chambering.
Criterion is your best bet IMHO.
And do get a new one. TE & MW will be 0 & 0, so for what you saved in the M2 Bbl will be insignificant in the long run.

Yes, it will need finish reaming/ headspace.
You have a Smith.
Has he seen this rifle?
He will be able to know if any oarts need replacing.
The Op Rod Tab can be a source of problems if worn.
Your Smith will know.

The 7.62 NATO is Sweeter shooting & more accurate.

Also Dupage Trading has New stock packages contracted from Boyds But turned to the Earlier 1939 Slim Line Contour, & they are a Higher grade of Black Walnut.

https://www.dupagetrading.com/product-category/new-m1-stock-sets/

Have fun with your History Changing Men's Jewelry...:)

A MW of 3 and TE of 5 are within the original Army specs for one of these rifles, that's why it came from DCM that way.

+1 for Dupage Trading and their stocks and other Garand parts.

Thanks fellas,
It's an Mi from the DMC to CMP transition period so it was gone through back then. I got all the qualification paper work, some letters, manuals, catalogs, & booklets from the original owner. Mess of ammo & clips too. He said it shot good 40 years ago and didn't run it much. Other than the bedding, I won't be doing any of the heavy machine work. I've got a smith who does M1 magic who'll get after it. It's my only one and I'd like it top to be notch.
If you're after a recoil spring have one. Price no idea what ever sound fair

You know I' basing the not going to be accurate on my local smith expert. He has many and works on them. He said shoot it first but it likely will be all over the place. Then I ran across a Dane barrel and new Boyds furniture for dirt and picked them up. I've got a tutorial from Shot Gun News on accurizing, but there was no mention of the work disqualifying it from competition. It's a project that's on the back burner while I gather parts. Build it to Winchester, or competition grade shooter in my delema. PAX

You know I' basing the not going to be accurate on my local smith expert. He has many and works on them. He said shoot it first but it likely will be all over the place. Then I ran across a Dane barrel and new Boyds furniture for dirt and picked them up. I've got a tutorial from Shot Gun News on accurizing, but there was no mention of the work disqualifying it from competition. It's a project that's on the back burner while I gather parts. Build it to Winchester, or competition grade shooter in my delema. PAX
If you decide for accuracy, I'd still recommend getting a new Criterian.
They made a run for Fulton that were Chrome lined & NM.

The Dane Bbl could still be a tack driver too.

:)

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads