JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Got my P226 back from SIG after having the E2 grips put on and the SRT mod. The gunsmith comments state "Breech face shows gap checking from shooting reloads".

My question is....what the heck is he/she saying?

Yeah, I shoot reloads, but what is gap checking? Is it bad?...I assume as it's worthy of mention, I should at least understand what it means!

That aside. Looks like they did a good job. Already like the E2 grips and I have not shot the pistol yet. They have a nice texture that seems a lot more grippy. The drop in grip volume suites my hand size too.

Really looking forward to shooting this now to see how the SRT and grips change things.

I believe what he/she is trying to say is the breechface is showing signs of possible impact wear from shooting hotter than normal reloads.
If you're loading different brands of brass a bit warmer than what a factory load might be it can cause a kind of "work hardening" of the breech face.
There is always gonna be a minute bit of space between the cartridge and the breechface because there is no way to make that an exact precision fit due to the mass production of all ammo cases out there. Different mfr's have different tolerances they go by though a standard sizing is used they have no real way to keep track of exact tolerances. That being said if you were to limit your reloads to one certain manufacturer of case you may see less evidence of this "checking". An Old timer friend of mine who's been reloading since dinosaurs walked the earth only uses R-P brass and gives this as one of the many reasons.
Some time when you have a little time disassemble your weapon (fieldstrip it) and take a few different types of ammo (federal, hornady, remington, winchester) whatever you have and slide it into the breechface and see which one fits best (least amount of free space or "wobble") you'll see what I mean.
At least that's my take on it...

Makes sense.

I'll check my loads for that and see what i find. From a 'hottness' point of view. I do keep them pretty low, but if there is a large gap, that could certainly cause a slam that might not help!

I am not sure but it sounds like what they are talking about is gas escaping around the primer causing an etching on the bolt face around the firing pin hole. I have seen this in AR rifles and a M-1A rifle.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top