JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
The Gamo air rifle I ordered before Christmas just showed up yesterday. I purchased this Gamo pellet rifle just for fun, and to keep my shooting skills honed during winter months.
After unpacking, and inspecting everything to ensure all was good. I put a patch down the bore, and looked the rifling over. Then mounted the 4x scope it came with, and grabbed a tin of Crosman Premier .177 pellets I had here. Took it out back and set up a white box at 50' and put a 1" black dot on the center. I hoped the scope might be close enough to hit the 12" square box, but figured I'd move even closer if it didn't.
The first shot offhand at 50' hit 1" right, but perfect elevation. I loaded 3 more and shot them, with a nice group around the first hit. Shot 6 more after that, all offhand, and ended up with a 1" group sitting 1" to the right. SO I adjusted the scope to move the strike left, and began plugging holes into the black dot on the box.
The 2 stage trigger is very nice, and allows take up in the first stage, and the second stage has a nice clean break. It made offhand shooting very easy, and the balance offhand is also nice. I didn't try any rest shooting, as I'd need to set something up in the doorway of my garage to shoot from. But I'll give the rest some workout also, and see if groups tighten up,as I think they should.
Overall it's a very nicely built airgun, and made in Spain was nice to see on it versus some I saw made in China, or elsewhere. At $118 to my door with the scope, it's certainly a bargain for an accurate airgun.

s-l1600.jpg

The first time I handled mine, I thought, what a club. It's longer than my shotgun!:eek:
But the balance is there, even though it does seem long.:rolleyes:
I have the .22 which seems to like the heavier Crosman pellets and after zeroing my scope
I was shooting pop cans, offhand, at 30 -40 yards. :):)

Watch those scope screws, they tend to loosen up. Bit of removable locktite is a good thing.

I have a .22 Hatsan, made in Turkey. I use it to dispatch midsize vermin. I have a bb gun for cans. :p;)

Much as I like the aesthetics of some of the new B-B guns, :D
They all seem to suffer from the same old ,smooth bore, accuracy problem.:(

I'm not sure why the CO2 pellet guns never seem to exceed the 400-450 fps.
muzzle velocity, but I think it has something to do with sales to Canada. :mad:
My pump-up Crosman M-177 even has a 400 fps. rated export model.:rolleyes::(

I'm using 7.4 Crosman Premier pellets, but going to order some in the 10.5 gr. weight to try. Right now I'm getting 1300 fps, and I'd guess the 10.5 gr. will be slower. But they might also have less bullet drop at further distances.
I went to Pyramid Air's website and found a ballistics chart for pellet drop. If zeroed at 15 yds. the pellet will drop 2.6" at 50 yds. for the lighter weight 7.4 gr. I saw Pyramid Air has tins of 500 pellets in the Premier 10.5 at under $10, so I'll order a tin to play with.
I was out yesterday zeroing in the scope to get it printing on the bullseye instead of slightly right. I forgot how many clicks it takes to move just a little when you're this close to the target! My backyard is 50' so I had to move a dozen or so clicks to get it to zero on center of the bull. But holding my offhand on the door frame, and laying the gun across it results in very tight groups. It can put them all in the 1" bullseye, even when I've fired 20-25 shots on target. Very consistent, with no flyers at all.

I paid $10.14 for the last 500 pellets with shipping included. They're cheaper off the internet usually.

Much as I like the aesthetics of some of the new B-B guns, :D
They all seem to suffer from the same old ,smooth bore, accuracy problem.:(

I'm not sure why the CO2 pellet guns never seem to exceed the 400-450 fps.
muzzle velocity, but I think it has something to do with sales to Canada. :mad:
My pump-up Crosman M-177 even has a 400 fps. rated export model.:rolleyes::(

The kind talked about by the OP, are not even in the same league as the old style kids used for decades or the CO2. The "higher end" ones have also come way down in price in the last couple decades. Look at some of the video's of the ones like the Gammo. They can turn in accuracy at 50 yards that rivals some .22 rifles. Damn things have come a long way since I was a kid. I used to see air guns like these advertised in magazines when we were kids but never got to actually see one. Price on them back then was what you could get a decent used car for so none of us had one. Now they are so cheap anyone can buy one. I almost bought one a few times at last place. Had a rat problem. As dogs got older they stopped cleaning them out in the yard and I would often see them from the back window. I found a place to buy "human grade" catnip though. Would put some of that out and neighborhood cats came over and cleaned out the rats as fast as they would show up :)

I paid $10.14 for the last 500 pellets with shipping included. They're cheaper off the internet usually.
Not to mention the pellets are almost like .22 ammo now. There is a LOT of choices to match the rifle. When I was a kid you had one choice in each of 2 calibers. Now you can try several. From what I am seeing the rifles are a lot like most .22's. Each one will seem to have a favorite they like best.

I will sometime drop by a Walmart just to see if they have a decent selection. Usually find they have a huge selection online, but very little in store.

Alexx1401 :)
"Much as I like the aesthetics of some of the new B-B guns, :D
They all seem to suffer from the same old ,smooth bore, accuracy problem.":(

I own a CO2 pellet rifle, a Pump-Up Pellet Rifle, a CO2 pellet pistol and a GAMO break barrel rifle. All rifled barrels and they will all shoot one inch, or less groups at 45 ft.:) I've drilled coke cans at 50yds.with the GAMO, but, none of the product tests and evaluations I've seen on YouTube of the new "B-B guns, " Crosman DPMS,etc. seem to be capable of anything under 2 -3", (coke can accuracy) at 45 feet.:(

Alexx1401 :)
"Much as I like the aesthetics of some of the new B-B guns, :D
They all seem to suffer from the same old ,smooth bore, accuracy problem.":(

I own a CO2 pellet rifle, a Pump-Up Pellet Rifle, a CO2 pellet pistol and a GAMO break barrel rifle. All rifled barrels and they will all shoot one inch, or less groups at 45 ft.:) I've drilled coke cans at 50yds.with the GAMO, but, none of the product tests and evaluations I've seen on YouTube of the new "B-B guns, " Crosman DPMS,etc. seem to be capable of anything under 2 -3", (coke can accuracy) at 45 feet.:(

OK, yes they are of course going to not be capable of much. When I was a kid and got my first air rifle the parents had trouble getting me to come in to eat. As limited as that thing was damned if it did not sharpen my skills. After a year or so Dad took me out to shoot my .22, which up till then I could only shoot with him. I outshot him BADLY. He was so impressed he started letting me take the .22 on my own. Of course being as I had to buy ammo the air guns still got a lot of work out.
Still have a CO2 pistol around here I use now and then for in the house practice. Work great for practice low and no light practice. It claims 400 FPS but I can see the BB's come out of it so not sure it even does that. Works great for practice I can't do with my firearms though. Damn thing has lasted an amazing time. I had to have bought it over 2 decades ago now.

I still have my Benjamin pump rifle, and pistol from my youth. I had the rifle overhauled with a repair kit by Ollie Damon's here in Portland a few years ago, as it got where it took 20 pumps to get it to hold pressure. It's better now than I remember it new!
I also own another Benjamin pump rifle from the early 1900's that I inherited from a friend who passed away last year. It is a straight pump, vs. my later 1950's Benjamin. The pump rod pulls straight in and out like a bicycle pump. I'll rarely shoot this one as I had it rebuilt at Ollie Damon's also, and waant to just keep it as it is now.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top