JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I recently became the Vice-President to the Oakridge Gun Club. This range was established in the 80s, & did very well for a long time. It has been a bit stagnant for about 10 years, but is now under knew management.

I'm starting this thread to get some ideas for some good shooting games. I'm really wanting some "FAMILY" orientated events. Keep in mind that this is a small community (3500 people) & we have limited funds to work with at the moment.

Just to give you a feel for the range, we have a 50 yard pistol range with a couple of steel targets, a very outdated (but fully functional) trap range & some covered shooting benches with a 25, 50 & 100 yard targets.

I'm looking for any help/insight I can get.

Thank you!

how about a trolley mechanism that uses a old garage door operator to run squirells back and forth at ground level easy cheap and reactive or if county code allows a nightime tactical training course so guys can use there $400 tacticool flashlights and lasers, or just buckets of tannerite haha, minigolf themed shooting course would be fun get a bullseye and the volcano erupts sorta thing, cant wait til i get some property! those 3 gun challenge competions look pretty fun as well

Dad and I used to play five card draw...... Deck of cards on a board at whatever range you feel comfy with, fire at cards to make the best hand, use ammo as chips, and use a spotter to call hits. I am sure with some imagination you could come up with some variations.

Another one dad and i used was x-mas lights. strung across a railing or 2x4 most hits wins a prize..... I dont know if that is a very good one but it was fun!

How about an old west or 1920s gangster themed events? Have everyone dress the part, get period nicknames, like bugsy, or billy the kid, and have scenarios setup, like a saloon shootout or a bank robbery. Obviously using period type pieces they would use, like peace-makers, lever actions, 1911s, maybe find a thompson?

Get a 'feel' for what the locals want (or whatever majority will be using the range) and try to build on that. Seems everyone always returns to the 'basics' of shooting when the specialized and theme events lose their appeal. Kind of like what is happening with Cowboy Action lately. So many split-off groups and themes the original intent seems all but lost - at least according to what I have been reading anyway.

+1 on the Top Shot idea. They have lots of cool games on there that I would like to replicate myself.

Another resource for you is a free website called SurveyMonkey.com.

Whatever ideas you come up with, you can put together small list of ideas and let your club vote on what they're most interested in. They you know'll have an idea if there are is any interest or opposition to what you want to do.

There are even spaces for people to write in their own comments, so maybe the club members have some ideas that they'd like to try but are too shy to bring up.

Hope it helps.

steel target tree where the steel flips around to the other side of the tree when shot. fun for single or double shooters
full body swinging targets like a match would have.
just a couple off the top of my head that sound fun.

Since school is back in session. Have a "back to school" A free event. Line up a bunch of 22's and let people have fun. Make it an annual event. Let the folks tour the club and offer a discount if the join at the event. Give them comment cards to submit ideals for events or games the would like to see.
Ask for help from ppl who have materials, like 550 steel for targets, and ppl who have skills to build them.
Get in touch with the NRA and ask for their assistance.
How about "Turkey shoots" to build up money for the club.

Send me a PM. i might be able to get you some contacts to help.

How about an old west or 1920s gangster themed events? Have everyone dress the part, get period nicknames, like bugsy, or billy the kid, and have scenarios setup, like a saloon shootout or a bank robbery. Obviously using period type pieces they would use, like peace-makers, lever actions, 1911s, maybe find a thompson?

This already exists, it's call zoot-shooters.
Zoot Shooters

You don't have to re invent the wheel. You can shoot a 'CMP' and or 'NRA High Power' rifle match. You shoot at 100 yard reduced targets. It can be a fun match and does not have to be registered. Standing, sitting & prone in slow fire and rapid fire. Awards for M-1 , Old bolt, AR-15 class? Iron sights or any sight?? These matches are shot at many clubs in the Portland area.

<broken link removed>
CMP - First Shot Online!

Rimfire silhouette shooting is very popular at our range.we also do an egg shoot,200 yrd benchrest.very hard.we have several "permanent" steel plates set at long range,300 to 500 yrds.lots of people like to shoot at those.bowling pin shoot,dueling trees,running deer,military rifle,hunter pistol.
just a few.

Cheap and family oriented, 22 pistol and rifle shoots for various age groups. It should draw a few families to compete. Gets the young ones used to firearm etiquette and spurs the future shooters to the sport. Good luck!

sportsman park it Klamath falls did bowling pin and steel match's monthly that were cheap and fun. the steel targets are easy to make out of scrap, and the bowling ally sells old pins cheap. I even buy them for target practice. good luck

New bowling pins are being made of all plastic and rubber – not a plastic covered wood core. These new pins supposedly last in an alley almost twice as long as the old wooden pins. Because they are made of plastic/rubber, they also cause ricochets and are not recommended to be shot. A warning is printed on each pin. Our days of pin shoots, like 8-track tapes, appear numbered....

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top