JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Going deer hunting for about a week 2 hours outside of Canyonville (1 hour pavement / 1 hour gravel) . If we get something early on we may be needing to take it into town depending on weather, etc.

Any suggestions on who to go to? I already got some places from the internet but don't trust their reviews. So looking for reviews here.

Any place to just store a deer until we are ready to head home?
Other option is to process and bag the entire thing and hopefully ship it to Salem? (kinda hate spending an entire day to go retrieve it)

Thanks

I've never availed myself of their services, but I believe South Umpqua Custom Meat in Myrtle Creek does that. That's about 15 minutes north of Canyonville. Phone is (541) 839-6500.

Good luck with your hunt. :)

Alternatively, consider using evaporation as a primitive refrigeration technique.

If you have a shady place to hang the meat place a wet "gunny sack" (burlap) over the carcass and close the opening. The course of natural evaporation will keep the meat cool and keep the flying critters off. We would hang the meat in quarters then slip a gunny sack over them from the bottom and close the top of the bag.

Remove the sack in the morning and wet it down, sling the water out so it is not dripping. I have kept meat for two weeks with this method. I used to hunt the archery season on Long Island (Washington Coast) and when the tide goes out you are stuck. You need a good source of fresh water to use this method, the trick is a wet bag but not soaking wet, were it washes the carcass.

Do not "bag" your meat with this method, the air needs to circulate around it. As the water evaporates from the bag the interior temp will cool lower than the air temp outside. Keep it moist and keep to the shade and you will be ok. This will work for all but the hottest summer days and will buy you time to get to a locker should you really need it.

~Whitney

Thanks guys. Myrtle Creek is a lot closer than roseburg.

I will also be looking into preserving meat in the field. In 50 years I have always been able to drive the deer straight home. Didn't even think about alternatives.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top