JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
My wife and I will be at the Capitol on Thursday the 30th. We're going there for an unrelated event/gathering regarding education. But I am planning to get in front of him prior to the vote, if it hasn't happened by that time. He needs to see the faces of his constituents. My wife and daughter will be with me.

I'd like to put it out there that the threat of SB941 and education are directly, intimately related. Specifically, the only way garbage like SB941 can even pop into the head of an American as an idea, is if that American is sufficiently illiterate on the Constitution(s) (State and federal) and basic principles of law. The only way the presumption of good faith can survive amongst Legislators (young or old) whose words/actions violate their oath to the Constitutions, is if they truly don't know enough about constitutional fundamentals to form sound opinions and make sound decisions.
The vast majority of Americans graduate from public schools and that is where our impressionable minds get filled with notions of what is acceptable in our Republic. If we don't get enough time to study the history of the Constitution and the founding era documents that influenced its creation, then anyone with an ounce of credibility (like a teacher) can lay and build the groundwork of constitutional disinformation that will poison our perceptions and opinions into adulthood, maybe for a lifetime.
Tying back into the education event you are going to, if it has to do with social sciences, civics, etc., you ought to know that Oregon law at ORS 336.057 literally requires all Oregon public schools to provide students with a minimum of 5 years of "courses of instruction" on the Constitution of the United States (8th - 12th grade). See below:

"336.057 Courses in Constitution and history of United States. In all public schools courses of instruction shall be given in the Constitution of the United States and in the history of the United States. These courses shall:
(1) Begin not later than the opening of the eighth grade and shall continue in grades 9 through 12.
(2) Be required in all public universities listed in ORS 352.002, except the Oregon Health and Science University, and in all state and local institutions that provide education for patients or inmates to an extent to be determined by the Superintendent of Public Instruction. [Formerly 336.230; 1977 c.226 §1; 1999 c.1023 §1; 2011 c.637 §114]"

I'll wager that no member on this site who "graduated" from Oregon's public schools, got this level of study time on the Constitution. This law has been on the books since 1923. I'll also wager that no member on this site who "graduated" from Oregon's public schools, got ANY study time on the Oregon Constitution, even though the law below has required Oregon schools to place special emphasis on it since 1929:

"336.067 Topics given special emphasis in instruction. (1) In public schools special emphasis shall be given to instruction in:
(a) Honesty, morality, courtesy, obedience to law, respect for the national flag, the Constitution of the United States and the Constitution of the State of Oregon, respect for parents and the home, the dignity and necessity of honest labor and other lessons that tend to promote and develop an upright and desirable citizenry. …."

Notice the last part of this quote. It says the purpose of the "special emphasis" is to "promote and develop an upright and desirable citizenry." So now, decades after these laws took effect, we see the results of our public schools denying this lawfully required education to generations of Oregonians through the disguise of curriculum "policy". The 1976 case of Wilson v. Chancellor (out of Molalla) will corroborate my reading of 336.057 & 336.067 above, but then again, they are pretty "plainly worded".

So if this helps make sense of why/how our so-called representatives are capable of presenting SB941 to the public's attention with a straight face, then we should take to heart that a state of emergency may indeed exist…. an emergency that takes the form of a constitutional illiteracy that is so disabling that it spawns entire generations who are not only willing to surrender their rights, but even do so with the driven passion of lemmings. If this helps tie SB941 into the education event you plan on attending with your family, then please read these laws yourself and Wilson v. Chancellor, and ask your education leaders to explain themselves.

Last Edited:
I'd like to put it out there that the threat of SB941 and education are directly, intimately related. Specifically, the only way garbage like SB941 can even pop into the head of an American as an idea, is if that American is sufficiently illiterate on the Constitution(s) (State and federal) and basic principles of law. The only way the presumption of good faith can survive amongst Legislators (young or old) whose words/actions violate their oath to the Constitutions, is if they truly don't know enough about constitutional fundamentals to form sound opinions and make sound decisions.
The vast majority of Americans graduate from public schools and that is where our impressionable minds get filled with notions of what is acceptable in our Republic. If we don't get enough time to study the history of the Constitution and the founding era documents that influenced its creation, then anyone with an ounce of credibility (like a teacher) can lay and build the groundwork of constitutional disinformation that will poison our perceptions and opinions into adulthood, maybe for a lifetime.
Tying back into the education event you are going to, if it has to do with social sciences, civics, etc., you ought to know that Oregon law at ORS 336.057 literally requires all Oregon public schools to provide students with a minimum of 5 years of "courses of instruction" on the Constitution of the United States (8th - 12th grade). See below:

"336.057 Courses in Constitution and history of United States. In all public schools courses of instruction shall be given in the Constitution of the United States and in the history of the United States. These courses shall:
(1) Begin not later than the opening of the eighth grade and shall continue in grades 9 through 12.
(2) Be required in all public universities listed in ORS 352.002, except the Oregon Health and Science University, and in all state and local institutions that provide education for patients or inmates to an extent to be determined by the Superintendent of Public Instruction. [Formerly 336.230; 1977 c.226 §1; 1999 c.1023 §1; 2011 c.637 §114]"

I'll wager that no member on this site who "graduated" from Oregon's public schools, got this level of study time on the Constitution. This law has been on the books since 1923. I'll also wager that no member on this site who "graduated" from Oregon's public schools, got ANY study time on the Oregon Constitution, even though the law below has required Oregon schools to place special emphasis on it since 1929:

"336.067 Topics given special emphasis in instruction. (1) In public schools special emphasis shall be given to instruction in:
(a) Honesty, morality, courtesy, obedience to law, respect for the national flag, the Constitution of the United States and the Constitution of the State of Oregon, respect for parents and the home, the dignity and necessity of honest labor and other lessons that tend to promote and develop an upright and desirable citizenry. …."

Notice the last part of this quote. It says the purpose of the "special emphasis" is to "promote and develop an upright and desirable citizenry." So now, decades after these laws took effect, we see the results of our public schools denying this lawfully required education to generations of Oregonians through the disguise of curriculum "policy". The 1976 case of Wilson v. Chancellor (out of Molalla) will corroborate my reading of 336.057 & 336.067 above, but then again, they are pretty "plainly worded".

So if this helps make sense of why/how our so-called representatives are capable of presenting SB941 to the public's attention with a straight face, then we should take to heart that a state of emergency may indeed exist…. an emergency that takes the form of a constitutional illiteracy that is so disabling that it spawns entire generations who are not only willing to surrender their rights, but even do so with the driven passion of lemmings. If this helps tie SB941 into the education event you plan on attending with your family, then please read these laws yourself and Wilson v. Chancellor ask your education leaders to explain themselves.

Points well made. I appreciate the references, they will be noted. Actually, we're a home school family, and I can guarantee our daughter is getting more of an education on the constitution, civics, the flag, patriotism and history than the average public school student. The event we're attending is in support of protecting the rights of parents to home school their children, or, if they are in public school, to opt out of certain things such as mandatory state testing under common core.

And I do agree that the assault on gun rights is directly related. For one, if they get guns heavily restricted, we have nothing left to fight with should they continue to overstep their boundaries. And two, if they're unwilling to listen to us in opposition to bills like SB 941, it is entirely likely they'll be willing to overstep the boundaries in other areas, such as our right to direct the education of our child.

Actually, we're a home school family, and I can guarantee our daughter is getting more of an education on the constitution, civics, the flag, patriotism and history than the average public school student. The event we're attending is in support of protecting the rights of parents to home school their children, or, if they are in public school, to opt out of certain things such as mandatory state testing under common core.

Hey etrain,

Thanks for taking it on yourself to homeschool your daughter and oppose common core. Public schools enjoy an inordinate level of built-in credibility that stems from the public's belief that schools obey the law. These laws (336.057 & 067) are public records that demonstrate on their face that this is not necessarily so. So if you desire to build a case on how public schools are failing the public's children, these laws ought to provide pointed examples of public schools' dereliction of duty to kids… after all "ignorance of the law is no excuse", right?

If they use "no-child-left-behind" and "common core" as a post 9-11 era escape route to dodge their own accountability, their historic suppression of ORS 336.057 & 067 demonstrates that the doctrine of dumbing down our kids as a matter of "policy" was well-established decades before "no-child-left-behind" and "common core" came to town. Point out as well that there is no required testing for social sciences (Constitution education)…. an indicator of how low a priority it is for them to demonstrate how well they "promote and develop an upright and desirable citizenry".

Attorney General Opinion #7982 from 1980 is also enlightening (bold and underline emphasis are mine):

"The Board has the duty to establish state standards for public schools and prescribe required or minimum courses of study. ORS 326.051(1)(a), (c). Certain courses are, however, prescribed by statute. See, e.g., ORS 336.057; 336.067. District school boards have the duty to ensure that courses of study prescribed by law and by the rules of the Board are carried out, and may establish supplemental courses not in lieu of the prescribed courses."

My wife and I will be at the Capitol on Thursday the 30th. We're going there for an unrelated event/gathering regarding education. But I am planning to get in front of him prior to the vote, if it hasn't happened by that time. He needs to see the faces of his constituents. My wife and daughter will be with me.

Now, if the vote has already happened, he will still see us. And I will be expressing not only my extreme discontent with his poor decision, but also let him know that he can plan on me supporting any recall effort against him, and definitely working against his re-election should a recall not happen.

etriain16
It will most likely be over by then but you have to remind the young buck that his vote will have to dues to pay. There are four recalls in motion as we write and I don't know that it's over yet.

Points well made. I appreciate the references, they will be noted. Actually, we're a home school family, and I can guarantee our daughter is getting more of an education on the constitution, civics, the flag, patriotism and history than the average public school student. The event we're attending is in support of protecting the rights of parents to home school their children, or, if they are in public school, to opt out of certain things such as mandatory state testing under common core.

And I do agree that the assault on gun rights is directly related. For one, if they get guns heavily restricted, we have nothing left to fight with should they continue to overstep their boundaries. And two, if they're unwilling to listen to us in opposition to bills like SB 941, it is entirely likely they'll be willing to overstep the boundaries in other areas, such as our right to direct the education of our child.

The people that push common core are feeling the push and now they threaten those that oppose it.

http://www.wnd.com/2015/04/state-threatening-anti-common-core-parents-with-jail/

The education that has been pushed on the kids for the past 50 years is why we're even having to fight these totalitarian anti gun laws.

The people that push common core are feeling the push and now they threaten those that oppose it.

http://www.wnd.com/2015/04/state-threatening-anti-common-core-parents-with-jail/

The education that has been pushed on the kids for the past 50 years is why we're even having to fight these totalitarian anti gun laws.

My wife and I are fighting Common Core ourselves, it's part of the reason we're at the Capitol tomorrow. Even though we're not in public school, we can see the danger it presents to all students, and the impact it will have on society in general. It's bad news and needs to go. Thankfully, many people are waking up to the Common Core fiasco and states are fighting back. It's good to see.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top