JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Have you ever built a gun before? It is not hard to assemble a Galil. The only technical part is timing the barrel and torque it to the correct torque. The rest of it is like an AR puzzle and can be assembled by you.

I have built ARs before. The whole AK thing is a little foreign to me. I also understand that the receivers often require some machining to fit perfectly. ARs are mostly just bolting parts together. There also appear to be rivets that need ground off and would nee to be redone on the new receiver to attach the trigger guard.

I have built ARs before. The whole AK thing is a little foreign to me. I also understand that the receivers often require some machining to fit perfectly. ARs are mostly just bolting parts together. There also appear to be rivets that need ground off and would nee to be redone on the new receiver to attach the trigger guard.

If you have no experience with AK's I kinda understand. What needs to be match to a perfect fit other than the barrel. I have built 2 of them and they run like a Swiss clock. Honestly, other then the barrel everything else is like an AR and just bolt things together. It really is not that hard. Once the barrel is correct everything else falls into place like an AR.

2A0EFFB5-AEBF-467D-8917-6177F80047D9.jpeg
this ended up getting built by a guy in southern Oregon. Did a great job. It still needs to have the finish done, but it runs great.

Building an ak style rifle is entirely different than an AR. AR is assembling legos, AK is making the lego blocks and then assembling it. However, its pretty easy with the right tools.

I built this Galil pistol using Micro Galil parts. I purchased a receiver from Tortort out of California. I had to install a bullet guide using a single rivet and the tooling I have from building AKs. I made my own spacer to correctly time the barrel and the rest fell together like building an AK. Zero filling or fitting to the receiver. I am not sure where you heard they have to be fitted. This is not rocket science and can be done on your own. IMG_20200730_132431426_HDR.jpg

You can totally do it yourself, if you have the tools. The question is do you plan to build more than one? If you want to build up multiple AKs, I agree that buying the tools and building is the best route. I will likely never have need to build another so investing in tools wasn't worth it for me. If you account for the tools and the value of my time, $300 is dirt cheap and it would cost me more to build it myself. YMMV

You can totally do it yourself, if you have the tools. The question is do you plan to build more than one? If you want to build up multiple AKs, I agree that buying the tools and building is the best route. I will likely never have need to build another so investing in tools wasn't worth it for me. If you account for the tools and the value of my time, $300 is dirt cheap and it would cost me more to build it myself. YMMV

Honestly, what tooling? A Galil is not a stamped receiver. It is a machined receiver. No tooling required other than a rivet press. Everything else falls together like an AR.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top