JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm intrigued by the new IWI Galil in 7.62 NATO, being an updated/modified AK-pattern rifle that takes DPMS/SR-25 mags. Has anyone gotten to handle or shoot one? How well does it handle the 7.62 NATO cartridge? Do the tweaks IWI has made to the AK platform work well, and what are the downsides?

I'm intrigued by the new IWI Galil in 7.62 NATO, being an updated/modified AK-pattern rifle that takes DPMS/SR-25 mags. Has anyone gotten to handle or shoot one? How well does it handle the 7.62 NATO cartridge? Do the tweaks IWI has made to the AK platform work well, and what are the downsides?
Been a service rifle for many countries since the early 70s. IwI ACE just modernized it a little bit more, made it lighter and made one in 7.62x39. I think the originals were just in 5.56x45 and 7.62x51. hickok45 just did a video on an older Galil in 7.62x51 he said the recoil was more like an AK47 even with the bigger round.

Been a service rifle for many countries since the early 70s... hickok45 just did a video on an older Galil in 7.62x51 he said the recoil was more like an AK47 even with the bigger round.

Thanks for the info! I didn't know the Galil had been around so long. Now I'm curious about its history.
And I'll check out that Hickok45 video, too.

I had two Valmets - one a heavy long barrel with with bipod - like an RPK in style, the other very similar to the Galil - a para with a folding stock.

Both were in 7.62x51.

Both worked well. They both used a modified version of the HK91/G3 mag. When mags got to $150+ and parts were impossible to order due to the import ban (late 80s), I sold them.

The Valmets are very similar to the Galil. Both are considered the best made Kalashnikov pattern rifles on the market.

The problem with the 7.62x51 Kalashnikovs - even the third world versions - is that most parts do not interchange with any other AKs. So if you get a Galil (or Valmet), make sure you get parts for it too.

I have one. I quite like it (okay I lied... I love it:oops:), but don't hold high expectations in the precision department. It works, I'd say recoil isn't too noticeable (to me). I could do a list of gripes and likes but that'd be a big post. All I can say is it replaced my PWS (had to sell something to fund this, and why not something with proprietary parts anyways?).

Been a service rifle for many countries since the early 70s. IwI ACE just modernized it a little bit more, made it lighter and made one in 7.62x39. I think the originals were just in 5.56x45 and 7.62x51. hickok45 just did a video on an older Galil in 7.62x51 he said the recoil was more like an AK47 even with the bigger round.
Yes, the original was 5.56 and 7.62x51 but the 5.56 was the standard issue. The Galatz was their 7.62x51 sniper variant, not sure if they did anything else in that round. IWI was part of IMI. The ACE was 5.56 first IICR, they just released the 7.62x39 one to us first was all.

I'd actually be interested to read that, if you have the time to write it.
Well, I warned ya...

Peep sight (like the original).
Affordable magazines (except the steel ones I want :().
2 stage trigger.
Safety can be operated by index finger or thumb.
Top rail for optics (shows up in gripes too).
Folding and adjustable stock.
Light for a .308.
Chrome-lined bore and chamber.
The action is pretty smooth.

Gripes:
While SR-25/DPMS can be affordable, especially compared to the old galil mags, I much prefer the rock and lock magazines. Just a personal preference.
The top rail is easy for optics, but with scopes you will need to use the cheekpiece that comes with the rifle. Or use a chin weld.
Handguard is a bit loose (not too bad though).
The rail covers it comes with are a bit bulky.
Rails again, with the way its designed it can be a hassle to take off the dust cover without nicking the scope a bit on the gas tube's rail.

Gripe(s) that may or may not apply to others:
Its not ambidextrous. If you're left handed the safety digs into your index finger, and the safety on the other side is too far from your thumb.
1:12 twist rate, so generally 175 grain and less.

There's probably more but it escapes me atm.

Oh and its just plain sexy.

image.jpeg

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR