JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Rifling...:rolleyes: OK I've got one. o_O My brother gave me a percussion Kentucky Rifle knock off that only has
3 -4 " of rifling at the muzzle end of the barrel. :(

Is there any reason for this other than just being a cheap, "Wall Hanger" ?o_O

Rifling...:rolleyes: OK I've got one. o_O My brother gave me a percussion Kentucky Rifle knock off that only has

Could be a couple of reasons...
Harsh use of a metal cleaning rod...

Some rifles , both antique and newly made are "coned" at the muzzle...meaning that the last inch or so at the muzzle is smooth to help start the round ball without needing a short starter....Thompson Center called this the QLA Quick Loading Advantage...if I remember right...

3-4 inches seems a bit much for coning....
Andy

The rifling is only at the muzzle end. The rest of the barrel is smooth. :confused:
That is why I'm wondering if it's only for show. :rolleyes:
It looks good on my mantel. :)

Ahhh...some guns were rifled that way , back in the day...
Mostly smooth for the use of shot...but just enough rifling near the muzzle to give the ball or bullet a spin without blowing the shot pattern of the pellets too much...

Is this gun in question a antique...?
Andy

I have no idea how old it is. I'll have to take a little closer look at it. I think I still have the receipt.
My brother's wife bought it for him about 30 years ago. Other than as a decorative piece, I haven't
paid it too much attention and I've only recently gotten back into BP.

I have no idea how old it is. I'll have to take a little closer look at it. I think I still have the receipt.
My brother's wife bought it for him about 30 years ago. Other than as a decorative piece, I haven't
paid it too much attention and I've only recently gotten back into BP.
I'd be happy to help you ID the gun , if I can...or at least add to the confusion...:D
Andy

I was going to try shooting it once, but the nipple is in slightly cock-eyed and you can't get a wrench on it. I almost rebarreled it, but the barrel is pinned into place and I was concerned about buggering up the stock.:eek:
Oh well, it looks good on the mantle.:)

I'm betting that's the way it was made.

FX Airguns does the same thing with their barrels... they call it "smooth twist" I believe.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top