JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
That is true. Yet not all off-topic posts derail threads. I tend to enjoy a mild diversion.
But there is a difference between an off-topic post and an ad hominem fallacy making the recipient the topic. One is a fun diversion (strippers), the other is a weak argument (personal attack on a lefty-poster the group doesn't like). Preferable to defeat his argument with facts, IMHO. YMMV.

Sure. But what is the point of trolling?
Well, possibly its a method for people who might be 'socially challenged' so they continue to argue irrationally just to elicit responses in the form of quotes and it makes them feel like they are 'materially' involved in the convo? Some people have little social interaction with others and the internet might be their only social resource.

We see it all the time on not only this forum, but others as well. People quoting others and surreptitiously adding irrelevant thoughts and ideas to 'force' others to quote them and it just gives the 'troll' more to respond to and perpetuate debate.

To nullify threads/topics by getting them locked/disappeared.

Nailed it.

But there is a difference between an off-topic post and an ad hominem fallacy making the recipient the topic. One is a fun diversion (strippers), the other is a weak argument (personal attack on a lefty-poster the group doesn't like). Preferable to defeat his argument with facts, IMHO. YMMV.
NWFA has moderators for that kind of thing. Unfortunately moderating isn't a democracy.

Well, possibly its a method for people who might be 'socially challenged' so they continue to argue irrationally just to elicit responses in the form of quotes and it makes them feel like they are 'materially' involved in the convo? Some people have little social interaction with others and the internet might be their only social resource.

We see it all the time on not only this forum, but others as well. People quoting others and surreptitiously adding irrelevant thoughts and ideas to 'force' others to quote them and it just gives the 'troll' more to respond to and perpetuate debate.
Surreptitiously? I see plenty of blatant posts that are anything but veiled.

Sure. But what is the point of trolling? Which is what most logical fallacies on internet forums are...
IDK, you'd have to ask a troll. (I don't think of myself as a troll, but I've been known to bait people... I'm a master at it... but I either put a wink at the end, or I am asking a question that I think will illuminate wrong thinking. Once this thinking is confirmed, I can craft a reply.)

Basically, I think they (trolls) are anti-gunners (and other malcontents or true believers and activists/radicals) that just want to make NWFA look bad to their anti-social SJW friends. Witness the post/review of NWFA on Reddit by one that was banned for such behavior. If you read it, did you think it was factual/rational???????????????

I've locked horns with lots of people that DON'T want to have a rational/factual discussion. In my lived-in experience, one doesn't win those arguments with facts, because the recipient of said facts either doesn't believe YOUR facts (doesn't agree with your premise either), is thinking emotionally, has contaminated thinking, or just doesn't care about facts. IMO, that makes the argument unwinable.

Nowadays, I put those types on ignore, believing that the disruption they cause to my peace of mind is not worth locking horns. But I USED to do it to sharpen my debate skillz. Since illness has taken a bunch of my mind, not so much anymore.

IDK, you'd have to ask a troll. (I don't think of myself as a troll, but I've been known to bait people... I'm a master at it... but I either put a wink at the end, or I am asking a question that I think will illuminate wrong thinking. Once this thinking is confirmed, I can craft a reply.)

Basically, I think they (trolls) are anti-gunners (and other malcontents or true believers and activists/radicals) that just want to make NWFA look bad to their anti-social SJW friends. Witness the post/review of NWFA on Reddit by one that was banned for such behavior. If you read it, did you think it was factual/rational???????????????

I've locked horns with lots of people that DON'T want to have a rational/factual discussion. In my lived-in experience, one doesn't win those arguments with facts, because the recipient of said facts either doesn't believe YOUR facts (doesn't agree with your premise either), is thinking emotionally, has contaminated thinking, or just doesn't care about facts. IMO, that makes the argument unwinable.

Nowadays, I put those types on ignore, believing that the disruption they cause to my peace of mind is not worth locking horns. But I USED to do it to sharpen my debate skillz. Since illness has taken a bunch of my mind, not so much anymore.

You are FAR from a troll, amigo. Don't let real trolls drag you down! ;)

To be very clear, I was not calling you a troll. I always enjoy your posts.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top