JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Wow. First Darrel Ward fro Ice Road Truckers dies in a plane crash on August 29th now Gabe Rygard. Reality stars are dropping like flies.

RIP both men and my condolences and prayers go out to their families.

Wow. First Darrel Ward fro Ice Road Truckers dies in a plane crash on August 29th now Gabe Rygard. Reality stars are dropping like flies.

RIP both men and my condolences and prayers go out to their families.

I wonder what they knew about Hillary Clinton...

All kidding aside RIP Gabe.

After Crazy Jimmy Smith passed, Gabe and his father were the best thing about the show. I think he would have been great in politics too, there are not enough people in office who know what it is like to bust their butts, make a payroll and deal with idiotic regulations while trying to make a living.

According to Washington State Police, Rygaard was traveling on Highway 101 shortly before 9:30 a.m. when a Chevrolet Tahoe in front of him stop. Authorities say Rygaard veered left to avoid the SUV but struck it anyway. Rygaard's Bronco then spun into oncoming traffic hitting a third vehicle.

Rygaard was not wearing a seatbelt.

Most times, that'll do it.

You owe it to your family to do as much as you can to minimise the risk - he did not.

tac

i totally agree.
now that i have a son, i am soooo much more careful with everything i do. i cannot imagine not being there for him.

Me too.
My brother in law is from small town ohio and he used to ride his harley with no helmet, drink and drive, and smoke/chew.

After his first kid he sold his harley, but now right before he had his 2nd kid he get a DUI.

Idiot.

My kids are the reason I don't go out hiking, hunting, or fishing as mush I would like, if hardly at all.

Gabe was a good guy, the Discovery channel made him look like a raving maniac at times. I assure you he wasn't like that!
Very sad news indeed.

I also agree, seat belts do save lives.

Just in case you think I'm being heartless, I assure you that nothing could be further from the truth. See, a few years back I was among the first on the scene of a wreck between a minivan loaded with four children and three adults that got hit by a trailer truck that had crossed the reservation while the driver, a Lithuanian, was texting. He was wearing his seat-belt and survived, but was pretty badly hurt. His survival was mainly due to the fact that he was on the left side of his Lithuanian-registered truck cab - here in yUK, as you know, we drive on the left but sit on the right.

The minivan was different. The Asian family inside it - three generations of it - was slaughtered. Only one child, in the third row of seats, lived long enough to get some treatment from the first responders, and that was because of all the occupants, she was in a child-seat.

Nobody else in the vehicle was wearing a seat belt. :(

tac

Yikes. I wouldn't want to come on that scene.

I saw one on the way back from bend coming across the mountain.

Some kids driving too fast cut the mountain curve crossing the double yellows. Hit a older couple head on.

We passed through as the first ambulance was there.
All there was was tarps covering bodies.
A vary sobering sight.

I think a few people survived. But just barely.

Most times, that'll do it.

You owe it to your family to do as much as you can to minimise the risk - he did not.

tac
My ex was in a head on without a seat belt
Her passenger WITH a seat belt nearly fell out of the vehicle. She stayed in the seat.:rolleyes:
So was the logger on the phone? Busy hiway to not be watching what's up.
Hope the other folks are OK.

Sometimes you win but mostly, you'll lose. US figures for year 2014 from CDC are as follows..

How big is the problem of crash-related injuries and deaths to drivers and passengers?
girl-seatbelt-istock_51255306_200w.jpg

Motor vehicle crashes are a leading cause of death among those aged 1-54 in the U.S. Most crash-related deaths in the United States occur to passenger vehicle occupants (drivers and passengers).

For adults and older children (who are big enough for seat belts to fit properly ), seat belt use is the most effective way to save lives and reduce injuries in crashes. Yet millions do not buckle up on every trip.

Deaths
  • A total of 21,022 passenger vehicle occupants died in motor vehicle traffic crashes in 2014.1
  • More than half (range: 53%-59%) of teens (13-19 years) and adults aged 20-44 years who died in crashes in 2014 were unrestrained at the time of the crash.
Can't argue with that.

What cannot be quantified is the misery and heartbreak caused by these deaths and injuries.

tac

Lane departures are the leading cause of motor vehicle crashes in Oregon. You want to have reality checks ?? Subscribe to flashalerts to get notifications from about any agency in Oregon. I get them from OSP all over the state, sheriffs offices on the west side and in Central Oregon where two of my sons live. You get pictures too.

There are probably 3 fatalities in Oregon every day from traffic accidents. Alcohol, drugs, tweakers, sh*theads and their bad driving and old guys on motorcycles are usually involved.

After 10 years as a firefighter / EMT and 20 years of part time work at a mortuary, I have seen plenty and have a healthy respect and a very cautious and jaded outlook on the other people on the road. Any trip over 5 miles is usually made in the F 350 just for weight purposes.

Seat belts can help save lives, but if your in the wrong spot at the wrong time it is up. Worst one I ever saw was a head on collision of a 12 foot cube van and sedan on Hwy 6 at Mills Bridge. Driver of the cube van had the steering column about 4 inches in his chest.

And despite all the " don't drink / toke and drive bullsh*t out there, you can be pretty assured that about every 10th driver you see is going to have some level of impairment.

Side note but in regards to wrecks. Saw a new f-150 get rear ended by a Honda. The f-150 was 3 feet hire in the area where the bed meets the can. Shaped like a V!
Upside down V that is.
Totalled the truck.
I was shocked.....

Aside from that, hate to see a man taken.

I drive dump truck since April 1 this year I have driven just over 20200 miles (new truck new odometer) Thats an average of 151 miles a day. And I see crap almost every day that makes my butt pucker thinking someone is going to die.

To day while hauling 3/4- (105,500lbs) up Santiam Pass just below Detroit dam in an area I can only pull about 30mph a Range Rover pulled out into the on coming lane to pass me. This is a totally blind double yellow corner where the down hill vehicle including all manner of trucks RV's and Motorcycles will be doing 55mph plus. The Rover never made 45mph while passing me. The only thing that kept that goober alive was pure dumb luck.

Not uncommon in Salem to see 2-3 cars completely blow a red light.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top