JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
The current system does not cover legal private firearm transfers between private citizens for purposes that are not commercial or not in the course of a business. Under SB 1551 you would need to perform a background check when you buy or sell a firearm that is listed here on NWFA. Here in Oregon what that means is that ALL legal transfers would then be in the OSP database (a current registry) for no more than 5 years as SB 1551 feeds information directly into ORS 166.412(7). Putting aside the possibility that those records are currently kept for more than 5 years, how hard would it be for Folly Floyd or anyone of his ilk to change ORS 166.412(7) to remove the 5 year stipulation?

You left one HUGE part out.

The ONLY way to prove that FTF sales actually happened AND went though BG checks is to keep a record, i.e. registration, of who and when............

Hey where are the libtards in this thread to defend the actions of their politicos?

I have noticed they are always absent when it is shown that someone they voted for (Demon-crat) is on another anti-gun tirade. Weird, huh?

We chew em up or mulch them.
They just get "Fargo'd" :D.

Kind of like that gangster movie where the mob boss sends a couple hit men to Chicago to do in the mob boss there. Then about 2 or 3 days later the 2 hit men end up on the Vegas boss's desk as a big pkg of link sausage. :eek:

The hypocritical adventures of Goofy Gabby and Space boy slither their way into Oregon.
images34.jpg

images34.jpg

The current system does not cover legal private firearm transfers between private citizens for purposes that are not commercial or not in the course of a business. Under SB 1551 you would need to perform a background check when you buy or sell a firearm that is listed here on NWFA. Here in Oregon what that means is that ALL legal transfers would then be in the OSP database (a current registry) for no more than 5 years as SB 1551 feeds information directly into ORS 166.412(7). Putting aside the possibility that those records are currently kept for more than 5 years, how hard would it be for Folly Floyd or anyone of his ilk to change ORS 166.412(7) to remove the 5 year stipulation?

Bingo.

Actually, in the 80's or 90's OSP got busted for keeping an unofficial (illegal in plain English) registry. They supposedly disposed of it, but I don't trust this. If the purpose of a background check is to validate the purchaser, then ask yourself why the serial number of the firearm recorded? Isn't the background check on the person not the firearm?

Bingo.

Actually, in the 80's or 90's OSP got busted for keeping an unofficial (illegal in plain English) registry. They supposedly disposed of it, but I don't trust this. If the purpose of a background check is to validate the purchaser, then ask yourself why the serial number of the firearm recorded? Isn't the background check on the person not the firearm?

Exactly.
And they still have never destroyed one record.

Bingo.

Is there more information you or anyone can give? I'd like to know more about that as I was too young to care in the early 80's and did not live here in the 90's.

It seems we are still living in Normalcy Bias as if everyone including the gov is living by the rule of law. We know have judges bypassing the constitution as if it was not the rule of law.The Executive Brance not enforcing laws by pasing congress with EO and regulations that take our liberties without oversight. Really are we in fully blown tryanny at least on a fast tract to it. People still on this site arguing law even though they are not lawyers reminds me of nero fiddling while rome was burning. Debate to understand is one thing but the majority is anti gun people pretending to love guns distracting from unifing us.When do the people of this country push back in civil disobediance. Are Orgonians going to be ruled by people from other states. Although we have this great representation by a NY liberal. When do we get back to our roots especially here in Oregon the pioneer west. We all have been doing the same things for the last 3 yrs when this attack on our gun rights in an escalted way has been happening and it is not working. Time for a serious startegy session that unifies the pro constitution Americans against the intruders of this once great nation mostly domestic. End Rant Period

It seems we are still living in Normalcy Bias as if everyone including the gov is living by the rule of law. We know have judges bypassing the constitution as if it was not the rule of law.The Executive Brance not enforcing laws by pasing congress with EO and regulations that take our liberties without oversight. Really are we in fully blown tryanny at least on a fast tract to it. People still on this site arguing law even though they are not lawyers reminds me of nero fiddling while rome was burning. Debate to understand is one thing but the majority is anti gun people pretending to love guns distracting from unifing us.When do the people of this country push back in civil disobediance. Are Orgonians going to be ruled by people from other states. Although we have this great representation by a NY liberal. When do we get back to our roots especially here in Oregon the pioneer west. We all have been doing the same things for the last 3 yrs when this attack on our gun rights in an escalted way has been happening and it is not working. Time for a serious startegy session that unifies the pro constitution Americans against the intruders of this once great nation mostly domestic. End Rant Period
I'm in Corvallis and willing to meet between Eugene and around Salem. There were some other forum members who were discussing in the past week or so meeting in the metro area. I don't remember who it was or which thread it was in.

I'm in Corvallis and willing to meet between Eugene and around Salem. There were some other forum members who were discussing in the past week or so meeting in the metro area. I don't remember who it was or which thread it was in.

bnsaibum, I was part of that group you referred to. We reserved a room at a library and had a good talk for almost 2 hours, developing short-term and long-term goals/ideas. We even generated an action item list :) Not everyone was able to make it to the first night, but we definitely plan on growing.

I would suggest starting a new thread with an open invitation. But plan to meet soon. The (theoretical) hearing may only be days away.

Our first objection (besides getting organized) is to try and get as many people to write/call/visit their reps as possible. Or make it possible of other less motivated friends to do so.

Heck, this Sunday at half-time get your laptop out among your buddies and start typing up an email. When they ask what's up, let them know and how easy it is!

(contest; how long does it take to email/call your state rep and give your opinion?)

Is there more information you or anyone can give? I'd like to know more about that as I was too young to care in the early 80's and did not live here in the 90's.

I'm relying solely on memory here - the scandal was long before every breath everyone ever took was recorded somewhere on the internet. I'd probably need a week sifting through microfiche records of the Oregonian and the defunct Oregon Journal. Perhaps there are other forum members like Taku who remember and may have more information.

I'm relying solely on memory here - the scandal was long before every breath everyone ever took was recorded somewhere on the internet. I'd probably need a week sifting through microfiche records of the Oregonian and the defunct Oregon Journal. Perhaps there are other forum members like Taku who remember and may have more information.

Are you talking about the Rick Bauman recall ???
That was back when My mind was functioning with a memory .:s0114:
All I remenber about that one was banging on
hundreds and hundreds of doors gathering signatures.

It was about the "assault weapon ban in Portland.

The Bulletin - Google News Archive Search

Preventing Crime in America and Japan: A Comparative Study - Robert Y. Thornton - Google Books

and

Bauman was elected to the Multnomah County Board of Commissioners in 1988. In 1990, Bauman was the target of a recall campaign after he wrote a controversial gun control law, but survived the recall. Two years later, he was defeated for re-election to the commission board by Tanya Collier.

OR WAS IT THIS ???

<broken link removed>

or this one

Measure 5 Arguments in Opposition

And there was a big fight over the OSP records retention time and that they were building a big database. I can't remember the details of that one.
Kevin Starrett might remember more of those details.

TOO MANY FOR TOO LONG>..................................:s0039:

The ventriloquist dummy speaks again.....

is it just me, or is Mark Kelly abusing his wife? I always thought taking advantage of the mentally challenged ( through no fault of her own) and using them for your financial gain was against the law?

I think Capt. (Un) America needs to be rocketed into outer space where he belongs....

Email from Kevin:
We have no way of knowing if they obey the law in terms of record destruction, but we KNOW they have violated the law in terms of releasing records when they were not permitted to do so.

The former head of the ID unit, Dave Yandell, told me he had no idea how or when records were destroyed.

And of course, given how data is shared these days it is likely that this info is shared BEFORE the required date to destroy and we have no way of knowing how many backups are made.

We have had many people tell us that cops knew about guns they owned which they would not have unless they got that info from the OSP.

Kevin
I did not personally hear of the OSP keeping records unlawfully, but I do remember that it was brought up a couple or several years ago. It could be a wild goose chase. In any event we have bigger fish to fry at the moment.

Thanks Kevin and Taku.

Wake up people. Does anyone really think that OPS does not keep the records permanently? Like posted before, why are the S/N and firearm info asked for when the background check is for a person?

And there was a big fight over the OSP records retention time and that they were building a big database. I can't remember the details of that one.

I think that's the one I recall. Thanks also to bnsailbum and Kevin Starret for additional information.

I wasn't aware of many that you had listed. It's much worse than I thought.

Wake up people. Does anyone really think that OPS does not keep the records permanently? Like posted before, why are the S/N and firearm info asked for when the background check is for a person?

Well, they need to know if its stolen. ;)

Cause clearly Cabelas or "insert FFL dealer here" is dealing in stolen goods so that new glock needs to have its serial # checked.

Email from Kevin:

I did not personally hear of the OSP keeping records unlawfully, but I do remember that it was brought up a couple or several years ago. It could be a wild goose chase. In any event we have bigger fish to fry at the moment.

Thanks Kevin and Taku.

That is pretty much the same story I get when speaking to a friend in the OSP.
My guess is they never actually go away.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top