JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Here's basically the down and dirty. The wife, gave me the permission to buy a new concealed carry for my last birthday (April). Having never bought a gun online I decided to do just that from gunsamerica.com (I wasn't a member of Northwest Firearms at the time). I bought a used glock 26 from a gun shop in New York (red flags, I know) for $520 + shipping. It was cerakoted FDE slide, came with only one mag and was Gen 2.5 (which wasn't stayed in its description...I had no idea how to tell at that time).

Disclaimer: Hindsight is 20/20, I know...I'm a dummie.

Anyway, here I am months later with this glock that I don't shoot well (in comparison to my even newer cc kahr cm9) and the cerakote slide is starting to peel off from the 5 months I've been iwb carrying it (I mean come on did a telly tubby paint this cerakote on?). By peeling I mean I can scrape it off with my fingernail, yeah...that bad.

So I need advice. What should I do with it? I want to get rid of it, but it's in such a bad state that I'd hate to sell it as is. I could put new cerakote on it and change out the slide stop and take down levers (which have been polished down to bare bones and are hard to grip) and then sell or trade it?

I'm honestly at a loss!
What would you do?

I would strip whatever the "cerekote" substance is off. Soak the metal parts in acetone and hit it with a good stiff nylon brush. See what's underneath and go from there. It sounds like the parts were not prepped correctly, or some bone head painted it with the wrong stuff.

I'd do what was already mentioned to see what you have. You will lose money on it but you will probably be cheaper to sell as is than dump more into it.
Yeah, I can agree with that for sure.

It has nights sights and I'm assuming I'd need to take those off before soaking the slide in acetone. I don't have a sight pusher so I'd probably need to get it done professionally or borrow one?
Can someone confirm that?

I picked up a pistol awhile back that had several coats of spray paint on the slide. Base coat was red. I used a can of Powder Blast on it, and it worked great. Took off all the spray paint, right down to the original finish. Not sure if it would work on your problem, but it might be worth a try.

If you do try it, read the label first. (It might damage your sights or other plastic parts.) But if you take the slide off, and are careful around the sights it might do the job.

You can probably pick up a can of Powder Blast for under 10 bucks.

Yeah, I can agree with that for sure.

It has nights sights and I'm assuming I'd need to take those off before soaking the slide in acetone. I don't have a sight pusher so I'd probably need to get it done professionally or borrow one?
Can someone confirm that?

The front sight is held on by a hex head screw. I tried to use a hex driver but it was too thick to get into the recess enough to grab onto the screw. So, I bought a $5 Glock front sight tool. The rear sight pushers are around $100. Ive seen people use a hammer and punch or piece of dowling, but you want to be careful not to damage the tritium vials.

So....Maybe a gun store in your area could poop them off for you. Or, a member close by? It might be worth your money to buy the sight tools if you had all sorts of Glocks.

Regardless of the looks, that Glock will always have some value, so long as it's in good condition functionally. Bite the bullet and sell it for the best $$ you can get and buy something you can shoot well. Don't pour more money into it, you won't likely recoup it. Someone will buy it if you price it right. Consider it a lesson learned, but know you're not out the entire purchase price.

Acetone strip is easy, I would put it in a shallow pan and fill up to, but not covering vials. Soak and brush off. No big deal.

If you really want it FRE just have the slide redone locally.

If the gun functions.... who cares? What makes it not shoot good?

Acetone strip is easy, I would put it in a shallow pan and fill up to, but not covering vials. Soak and brush off. No big deal.

If you really want it FRE just have the slide redone locally.

If the gun functions.... who cares? What makes it not shoot good?

Okay, I'll try that. Thank you!

The internals are flawless (as far as I can tell). There are even some upgrades in the trigger housing I didn't expect to find like the NY2 12 pound trigger spring and a new connector. So I don't know why I don't shoot it as well in comparison to my other handguns.

I'm thinking etrain16 might be on to something.

I'm thinking etrain16 might be on to something.

Only because I've been there myself. It happens to many of us. It's a good learning experience, but thankfully you ended up with a gun that retains much of its value. Yes, the cosmetic issue will bump some $$ off, but at least you're not likely to lose quite 50% of what you paid.

My opinion, without seeing it for myself, is that you could start by listing it for $400-$425, somewhere in that range and see if anyone bites. If you get crickets, try $375. I think, again, without seeing it, you shouldn't have trouble getting $350 out of it in the end. Just keep in mind that's my 2 cents and there can be a wide variety of opinions on that value.

Good luck to you and I hope you find the gun that really works well for you.

Regardless of the looks, that Glock will always have some value, so long as it's in good condition functionally. Bite the bullet and sell it for the best $$ you can get and buy something you can shoot well. Don't pour more money into it, you won't likely recoup it. Someone will buy it if you price it right. Consider it a lesson learned, but know you're not out the entire purchase price.

Best answer.
Cut losses, move on, and make someone happy...
All at the same time.

Truck gun!

Honestly it's a glock. It will always be ugly. I wouldn't short yourself. You will take a loss, but clean it up. If you can get the ceracote (spray paint) off then sell it for $400-450.

I've done the same thing and will only buy used guns online sight unseen if it's a smoking deal.

A glock will shoot everytime. It should hold good value no matter what.

Once you get it cleaned up, you could take it to Fox gun there in grants Pass and tell them the truth and trade for a Gen 4 or something. They will work with you.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top