JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Is there any reason why I couldn't run a G19 barrel and mags in a G23? Trying to consider a 9mm option without buying a complete new gun. I assume it shouldn't be a problem but we all know what happens when someone assumes. Figured this was the best place to ask.

Thanks!

Can you? Yes. Just bear in mind a stock G19 barrel has a slightly smaller outer diameter than the stock G23 barrel, which will leave a small gap around the barrel which some folks say may affect accuracy. Other than that, it should run fine.

But, if you are planning to buy a barrel, you can buy a conversion barrel for around $100 that will match the correct outer diameter of the G23. I've used the conversion barrels, they work well.

This might help explain it:

etrain answered as well as one can. I use a 23 with a conversion and it is good to change a few parts out such as the recoil spring if you want to carry in 9mm. Just for target practice I would get the conversion barrel just because for me it does feed better and take away all the minor issues some have with the 19 barrel.
100 dollar 9mm is pretty darn good. I have never had a problem shooting mine and it is very nice to bring only one gun but two calibers. Next get the .22 conversion for some cheap practice. I like mine a lot with the .22 as well. Though I have had a few feed problems but I do not use it for defense so no biggie.

The biggest issues I see are the recoil spring and extractor. 40 s&w has a larger case head and I would assume the extractor is shaped or adjusted to accommodate it. By going to the smaller case head of 9mm, it would seem the extractor might not get as good of a bite on the rim.

A 40 s&w recoil spring would be too stiff. A 9mm spring would be a cheap thing to get.

I have a glock 23 and Ihave a lone wolf 9mm conversion barrel and 9mm mags and it is 100 percent reliable. I like the wolf barrel because it just drops in. for range use I use my .40 and 357 sig mags too. all have been 100 percent reliable.I use my glock 40 recoil spring with no problem. I also have the lone wolf 357 sig conversion barrel and shoot 357 sigs out of mine.

The biggest issues I see are the recoil spring and extractor. 40 s&w has a larger case head and I would assume the extractor is shaped or adjusted to accommodate it. By going to the smaller case head of 9mm, it would seem the extractor might not get as good of a bite on the rim.

A 40 s&w recoil spring would be too stiff. A 9mm spring would be a cheap thing to get.

If you go to any parts site, you'll see that the recoil spring assembly for G19, G23 and G32 are the same - interchangeable - assuming we're talking about a Gen3 (or earlier) gun.

http://www.glockmeister.com/GLOCK-Recoil-Assembly-G192332/productinfo/G2457/

I've run 9mm conversion barrels in both a G23 and G35 with no change of the RSA or the extractor, and they've run 100%. If it wasn't I'd probably just replace the RSA with a slightly lighter model replacement, maybe 11lb. So far, that's not been necessary.

I don't have a Gen4 model, but I understand there are different RSA's in the G23 and G19 and a spring replacement would be necessary in a conversion. Maybe someone who has done it in a Gen4 model could speak to that.

Last Edited:
Good to know about the springs. It seems counterintuitive given the differences in recoil. Seems as if the spring was too light, the 40 would cause excessive wear on the frame. If it was too heavy, 9mm might show signs of insufficient slide velocity.

1911s have all sorts of springs for this length or that load. I only assumed Glock would be the same way. Come to think about it, werent there complaints of pre-gen4 Glocks with longevity of the 40/357 frames? And then with the Gen4 and the new double recoil springs (meant to make 40 less snappy from what I hear) having weak extraction with 9mm/brass-to-face issues?

Seems like those issues could be explained by Glock trying to use the same spring across the board. Or, I'm over thinking it.

Good to know about the springs. It seems counterintuitive given the differences in recoil. Seems as if the spring was too light, the 40 would cause excessive wear on the frame. If it was too heavy, 9mm might show signs of insufficient slide velocity.

1911s have all sorts of springs for this length or that load. I only assumed Glock would be the same way. Come to think about it, werent there complaints of pre-gen4 Glocks with longevity of the 40/357 frames? And then with the Gen4 and the new double recoil springs (meant to make 40 less snappy from what I hear) having weak extraction with 9mm/brass-to-face issues?

Seems like those issues could be explained by Glock trying to use the same spring across the board. Or, I'm over thinking it.

I've heard that too, but haven't experienced it. I have noticed my brass getting tossed in a slightly different direction, but that may be the extractor, not the RSA. I also understand the G23 slide is a bit heavier, so the extra mass helps with recoil in the .40. But considering you can get a new, lower strength recoil spring for under $20, it wouldn't be a big pain in the wallet to swap it when you swap the barrel.

I have a G23c that lives with a threaded Lone Wolf 9mm conversion barrel. I was having extraction problems so I changed out the extractor to a G19 version and it's run fine ever since. It ejects a little bit differently than a G19 as the ejector is still the stock G23 version, but it still work fine. It's a great gun and more versatile with multiple calibers!

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top