JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I just picked up a Gen-4 G17 and was wondering if there are any issues that anyone have had with these?
I haven't shoot this yet, but did notice that when trying to remove the slide from the frame, it has jambed and presented a bit of a challenge getting the slide to come off. It seems that the recoil assembly may be slipping off of center and causing this.
Anyone else experience this?

I've never had any problems taking the slide off the frame. You do have to make sure that the gun itself isn't cocked when you're trying to remove the slide though. I've always made it a habit to rack the slide, pull the trigger, and then proceed to take off the slide.

I'm pretty sure it's a defective pistol.... I'll take it off your hands for half what you paid for it.... just as a courtesy! ;)

Really though.... It probably needs an updated recoil spring assembly. Post some pics of the muzzle end of the recoil spring assembly and the inside of the muzzle end of the slide, where the recoil spring assembly seats. Once I see that I can tell you for sure. Or you can contact Glock and ask them what version of the recoil spring you should have.

In the meantime, when you're taking the pistol apart... make sure the muzzle end of the recoil spring isn't hooked on the end of the slide... that will help.

I have five (5) Glock 17s and I have had no issues and zero malfunctions (purchased in early 2011). The recoil spring/guide rod assembly SHOULD be out of the notch that is normal durring dis-assembly.

Respectfully,

ORSECTRAIN
"Be Safe Out There!"

Notch,

The 1/2 moon "notch" the recoil/guiderod fits into on the bbl. It is normal for the spring NOT to be fully seated in the notch after use and durring dis-assembly. You make sure it IS properly seated durring the assembly, but it moves after assembly/use.

This may cause it to hang up slightly when you take the slide off the frame as described in the originial post.

Respectfully,

ORSECTRAIN
"Be Safe Out There!"

Notch,

The 1/2 moon "notch" the recoil/guiderod fits into on the bbl. It is normal for the spring NOT to be fully seated in the notch after use and durring dis-assembly. You make sure it IS properly seated durring the assembly, but it moves after assembly/use.

This may cause it to hang up slightly when you take the slide off the frame as described in the originial post.

Respectfully,

ORSECTRAIN
"Be Safe Out There!"

So I have a little insight into this based on conversations with the regional Glock rep. Reason being is I had 3 Glock 22's that were doing this very thing. I too did not have any problem with the function of the pistols but noticed the exact thing you suggest is normal... the recoil spring was not always seated back in the half moon notch in the barrel.

I came to the conclusion that the reason this was happening was because the recoil spring was not being located in the hole in the front of the slide. Basically it is able to walk around and then the end of it hooks on the end of the slide, pulling the back end away from it's place in the half moon notch in the barrel. In some cases, the recoil spring can walk far enough that the spring coils start poking out the front of the recoil spring hole in the slide.

I confirmed that my suspicions were spot on and that this is NOT the way the pistol was intended to work... that's why they changed the way they manufacture the recoil springs. There are currently several different versions of the spring and only Glock can tell you specifically what spring your pistol takes.... depends on how the slide was manufactured primarily though.

I believe there was a factory recall of the 17/19/22/23 due to issues with the new recoil assembly. This apparently did not affect the 21. You may want to check further into this issue. I do believe it was a simple fix, some thing like a new guide rod. Good luck with your new piece and I love the Glocks.

Now that you mention it I believe they did have a recall.... Found it.... see below... i don't have access to the chart they refer to though...

Subject: GLOCK Armorer's RECOIL SPRING ASSEMBLY notice
To: [email protected];
Date: Tuesday, September 6, 2011 2:51 PM

GLOCK, Inc.

U.S.A.

GLOCK, Inc. P.O. Box 369
Smyrna, Georgia 30081 U.S.A.

Dear GLOCK Armorer:

On September 6, 2011, GLOCK Inc. will begin voluntarily exchanging the recoil spring assembly (RSA) on its new Gen4 pistols shipped since 2009 GLOCK's product development team has modified various elements of the RSA to ensure each pistol's performance meets the company's demanding standards. With several variations of the RSA in the market today, GLOCK's goal with this voluntary exchange is to standardize the RSA to gain the best possible performance in each pistol.

Armorers should note that Gen4 G26 and G27 models will not require a modified recoil spring.

The new RSA's all have unique markings on the base of the part. The enclosed chart is designed to help you readily identify the correct RSA for your pistol.

Unless a directive is mandated by your agency or your store, the replacement of the Gen4 pistol's RSA can be performed as part of the regular field-strip process. Agencies or Consumer's wishing to participate in the exchange program at no charge are urged to call 1-877-745-8523 to order their new RSA.

For more information on the details of the exchange program, visit GLOCK.

The only issue with the Gen4 was reported to be a weak spring issue. As the 17 and 19 are very similar and I am somewhat familiar with the 19, on the head stamp of the double spring the numbers in line with each other should read "0 4". I have heard that the fix for the 17 were a head stamp of "0 2". It is very hard to tell the difference without comparing a newer spring and an older spring, but there is a difference in the number of coils on the outer spring.
By saying weak spring, I have never had an issue with a FTE or FTF with commercial loads. The only times I have seen this is with "competition" loads. But I have heard of others having FTE issues with Gen4's. This seems to have been fixed by Glock some time ago, so if you purchased it new, you should have no issues.

If not check and ensure that you have at least a "0 2" on the recoil spring. If this scares you there is always the option to putting a Gen3 recoil spring in it.

The only other issue with my Glock is: It gets really loud when I squeeze the make noise button!

Hey that's great of you, where can we meet? I paid $2,400.00 for this one, but I'd be glad to take say $800.00 cash. You did say you would take if off my hands for half of what I paid for it, right?

Really, there weren't any numbers stamped on the breach end of the RSA and I did contact GLOCK regarding the recall of these RSAs. They sent me out a new replacement RSA over night, with a stamped mailer to send my old RSA back to them.

Man, you talk about customer service. I'm at least the third owner of this Gen-4 G17, and all they did was ask for the model and SN over the phone. This is the first product issue I've ever had from any of the four GLOCKs I've owned, and it was great to receive such service. I would have to say that this is just one of the reasons I own and carry GLOCKs.

I have since installed a recoil spring adapter and a SS Wolf Gen-3 RSA, besides the Wolf 3.5-lb connector and can't wait to get out and fire it.

Thanks for all the comments and assistance in this matter.

Subman681 "death from below"

Take your RSA (Recoil Spring Assembly) off and look at the metal part that sits in the half moon area thinggie.... and you will see some number and if they match the ones in the chart you should be fine, if not you call Glock RSA team and give them your serial number and they will send you the new RSA.
image002.jpg

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads