JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
If you're shipping a rifle, you can legally ship it as an unlicensed (non-FFL) person to an FFL.

I sold a couple AR-15 lowers online and figured that since lowers are rifles, I could ship them to an FFL...right?

Wrong.

Fortunately, I researched further. Here is what I learned:

• The USPS has regulations which define what a rifle is. A lower does not meet that definition because it isn't long enough and is concealable.
  • Because it doesn't meet the definition of a rifle or a shotgun, you as an unlicensed individual cannot ship it. It must go through an FFL.
I had to eat a couple $25 FFL fees but I figured it was better than ending up in Leavenworth.

It's screwy but that's gun laws for you. I am aware that some people would argue otherwise on these regulations but I took the safest path.

Careful because......

Besides the Fed Law, there are also State and City (local) Laws that must be followed (if/when applicable). And then.....certain FFLs might not (their choice, besides the law) accept packages from private individuals.

Then.....even a bare receiver by definition is a "firearm". *A bare receiver (never assembled, AR15 receiver) is an "other" according to BATF (thinking of if it's a pistol or rifle). The default position to me is.....it gets shipped as a "firearm."

So then shipping?

Yeah....the various shippers also add their own rules. Rules aren't generally considered to be LAWS. But, I'm not here to play.

So then.....
IMHO.....call and ask the receiving FFL about what they/how they...... like the thing(s) to go.

Aloha, Mark

PS...*but, also remember the "once a rifle, always a rifle" controversy......

Hummmm....."when unassembled parts are placed in close proximity in such a way that....."

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads