JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions

This was copied from the Summer issue of the NRA Journal this morning.

Note that the population of the UK is somewhat north of 65 MILLION people. The yUK is comprised of four nations - England, Northern Ireland, Scotland and Wales. Only Northern Ireland allows ownership of cartridge-firing handguns that actually look like the ones that YOU can own in the USA. There ARE exceptions to that in England, but not as we know it, Jim. None in Wales or Scotland, though.

Shotguns are in a different accounting system - one shotgun = one shotgun certificate. 100 shotguns = also one shotgun certificate. Unlike the FAC, you can put guns on and off your shotgun certificate yourself.

Reasonable questions/comments will be accepted.

I think overall that's great news, despite the "process" you souls over there have to comply with.

The only reasonable question I can think of off the top of my head (which is rather flat on top this morning for some reason) is, what is the edjumacated guesstimate number of ILLEGAL gun owners "running around" the UK?

I think overall that's great news, despite the "process" you souls over there have to comply with.

The only reasonable question I can think of off the top of my head (which is rather flat on top this morning for some reason) is, what is the edjumacated guesstimate number of ILLEGAL gun owners "running around" the UK?

Nobody has even the foggiest notion of the numbers of illegal guns of all kinds floating around the yUK - how can they? they are illegally in the country and not subjected, as one Labour MP once noted with some degree of insight at odds with his usual offerings in the house, to registration of any kind.

...and thanks for the pat on the fur. It's appreciated. :)

Dang TAC, so that's like around 0.9% of the yUK population being legal firearms owners, yes?

My math might be soft, not enough coffee on board...

Glad that the numbers are rising tho.

I hear what you're saying, bro, and no, there's naught wrong with your math.

Those few legal gun-owners and their hang-on activities put over $3 BILLION into the country coffers every year. Plus manage an untold amount of conservation and wildlife protection and care-in-the-countryside stuff.

I hear what you're saying, bro, and no, there's naught wrong with your math.

Those few legal gun-owners and their hang-on activities put over $3 BILLION into the country coffers every year. Plus manage an untold amount of conservation and wildlife protection and care-in-the-countryside stuff.

A quick look at a Wiki page

Shows civilian firearm holdings at:

United Kingdom at 4.9 firearms / 100 persons

United States at 120.5 firearms / 100 persons

Data supposedly accrued via a survey, so a surety it is skewed.

In the case of UK data, likely skewed high (even considering shotgun data). In the case of the USA data likely skewed low. IMO.

Well, I've got nineteen on my FAC, and my pals Dave and Pete have got another forty/fifty between them - all 'registered' on THEIR FACs. And that's just three of us.

Here are most of mine -

602199 602200

The numbers of legally-owned shotguns is unclear, since one shotgun certificate can cover literally ANY number of guns. Pal of mine collects W&S guns from 1900 on - all are shooters, and he has around 200 of them. EVERY gun dealer in the country has shotguns - one big dealer in the North of England has around 2000 in stock at any one time - all on just the ONE single certificate. There are probably around 4 million shotguns, but who can know for sure?

Last Edited:
No Enfield .303 service rifle of any flavor in the collection?

Alas, no. Mind you, the only L-E I'd countenance would be a Long Branch No4 MkII, as carried by my Uncle Geoff in the RRoC. He landed ashore on D-Day with his pedal bicycle on one shoulder, and his sniping rifle on the other. He ditched the bike ASAP, but used the rifle well for the next few months, although he never spoke about it.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top