JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Let's see. I went to change the oil in my wife's Kia Spectra (stop laughing). We had taken it to the dealership to get it done while it was under warranty, however it turned out they weren't using synthetic oil which is what the owner's manual stated it should use, then I noticed the drain plug was practically stripped. Needless to say, I was paranoid being under her car and it took me about 4 hours to get the damned drain plug off and I had to buy a new one. The upside is that I did a flush of the oil and replaced it with full synthetic again.

Dealerships are a hassle and I do pretty much all my own minor maintenance and take it to a mechanic only if I really need to.

Not ALL dealerships are this way, but the vast majority are.

It's sad that some (most) are that way.
We had a lady that knew my grandpa call him and ask if she was getting a fair price for a new engine a shop was trying to sell her & install. He told her to bring it over to our place for a second opinion. Turns out it just needed a new intake manifold gasket (common issue on that make & model too). Saved her several thousand $. Plus she had a ranch in E. Oregon and welcomed us there for deer season for several years

Way back when, 1957 or so the family took a trip to the SW towing a trailer. Started having transmission trouble. The Plymouth dealer said the trans was shot and needed rebuilding. My dad went to a little hole in the wall shop. They found the kickdown linkage had slipped out of adjustment. Did an adjustment and hever had any more trouble with it.
Now we have Honda's and none of them have ever needed much other than oil and filter changes and the maintenance minder tells us when to take it in.

Local shop wanted to charge my moms friend over $1000 for a front end shake and pulsing. They said the steering box needed to be replaced. Being it a 76 torino I called BS. Jacked it up and found bad outer tie rods, worn dics rotor and a missing rag joint...well the disc was gone. Since then he always comes over to my tool box

Let's see. I went to change the oil in my wife's Kia Spectra (stop laughing). We had taken it to the dealership to get it done while it was under warranty, however it turned out they weren't using synthetic oil which is what the owner's manual stated it should use, then I noticed the drain plug was practically stripped. Needless to say, I was paranoid being under her car and it took me about 4 hours to get the damned drain plug off and I had to buy a new one. The upside is that I did a flush of the oil and replaced it with full synthetic again.

Dealerships are a hassle and I do pretty much all my own minor maintenance and take it to a mechanic only if I really need to.

If it was your car, you had admitted to it, and THEN had the gaul to say "stop laughing"...I likely would have pissed myself laughing. :s0114:

I think Dealerships also go through cycles. Local Ford dealer had been a total wreck the first two times I went there. Then they were great for years and years. Recently, they changed and are totally untrustworthy. With a bit of luck Ford regional will hear the complaints and call them out. The national brands have some interest in maintaining the appearance of integrity. All we can do is call them out and hope they change.

PLUS it helps to know how to do at least some of your own car work to get a feel for when they are full of bubblegum.

My 3/4 ton Suburban developed a bad front wheel bearing. I took it to Murray Chevrolet in Gresham (no longer a Chevy dealer now) to get an estimate on replacing it. They wanted to charge me a diagnostic fee of $85 and said both front wheel bearings were bad at $1300 PER SIDE!!!

I told them to pack it in their ear. I told them what was wrong with the vehicle, not the other way around, and that only one side was bad, so screw their diagnostic fee. It turned out that I could order one new hub on line for about $200, and a pair of hubs for about $250, so I ordered the pair and replaced the one myself, and put the other hub on the shelf for whenever I might need it. After 3 years it's still sitting there.

Had they been honest about it I'd have let them do the work for a reasonable figure like $500. But for $1300 I'll do it myself every time.

If you have a diesel sedan or hatchback and you pull into a small town gas station, make sure you watch which nozzle the attendant grabs. There are still a few out there who think diesels are only in trucks and don't know what TDI means.

I worked for GMCARS for almost seven years. That's the customer relationship division of GM dealing with in and out of warranty support. Surprisingly, there are some really good, honest dealerships out there, even a couple under the CARR brand...and then there are others that you just want to beat.

Dealers are straight up crooked, never trust them. Awhile back I went to oil can Henry's with a friend with his brand new 6 month old gmc yukon just for an oil change. They told him he needed to change his diff oil. We both looked at each other and laughed and told the guy " you're joking right?" Then I look at my friend and said " might as well wait till tomorrow when we replace the driveshaft coolant reservoir and we can change the diff oil at the same time". The guy was not happy...
SOME dealers are crooked. Not all. Some techs are smart enough to realize that if you're straight up with people and don't bullbubblegum them, and don't rip them off to try to make a quick buck, that they're more likely to come back again
And don't even get me started on oil can Henry's, jiffy lube and the like, and various independents.

So, with all of the horror stories, anyone able to recommend a dealer for regular service (still under warrantee) for a GMC Diesel P/U...Vancouver/Portland area?

Our place can help you. We have one of the few GM Certified World Class Technicians (kind of like special forces for GM service, lol). We get quite a few folks that are recommended to us from other dealers after they couldn't find out what was wrong with their duramax. We are in N. Portland right off I-5.
We have a lot of lifelong customers because we treat people right and don't deal with the "car store" mentality. We mostly deal with fleet & businesses but we also sell about 20% of our rigs retail. I don't know if i'd be breaking any forum rules by saying our name so PM me if you want info.

We have a Chevy dealer in our small town. I use to get oil changes and service stuff done there. My family has bought several cars there over the decades.

About 10 years ago they changed one of the owners. Every time I took my rig in for service they found $1000 worth of problems that "needed fixed". I know my way around vehicles enough.

Needless to say not only have I never bought another vehicle from them, and will not they also lost money from the service of such.

Well I bought my Chevey Silverado at Alan Webb Chevy in Vancouver! They gave me a way better deal than anywhere else and the service department was great and always give me a fair deal Il never go anywhere else and my salesmen was very up front and honest with me about everything!! it was a real nice change of pace from the other shady car dealers in pdx!!

Well I bought my Chevey Silverado at Alan Webb Chevy in Vancouver! They gave me a way better deal than anywhere else and the service department was great and always give me a fair deal Il never go anywhere else and my salesmen was very up front and honest with me about everything!! it was a real nice change of pace from the other shady car dealers in pdx!!
I would hope they would give you a good deal since you work there!

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top