JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Making this thread to contribute to the knowledge base because I didn't have a lot of information when I was ordering this exact set up.

I have a new (to me) Savage 116 (round receiver w/ accutrigger) and I wanted to mount my Vortex Viper scope:

Vortex Optics - Viper HS LR 4-16x44 Dead-Hold BDC

I ordered a set of medium height rings from Talley on their recommendation for my scope I told them I was using:

https://www.talleymanufacturing.com/product/savage-round-receiver-w-accutrigger-a17-a22/

There was a very clear clearance issue when first putting the scope on the bases. The base hit the magnification ring on the back base. The base had to be chamfered with a file in order to get a bare minimum clearance

XVqhD4U.jpg

Note: This picture actually doesn't do it quite the justice. There is some light bleed through that makes the gap appear larger than it is in real life. I can barely get a business card in between the base and the ring.

This scope is moved as far backward as possible. The front mount is literally riding on the line where the bell starts and cannot be moved any further back without risking damage to the bell. I'm actually very happy with this set up as the eye relief fits me perfectly. I was nervous when I first shouldered the rifle because there is no room for adjustment and Talley would probably laugh at me if I asked for a refund.

This post is meant to inform anyone looking for a similar set up. It works perfect for me, but if you think you might need a bit more room to breathe then you may need to find an alternate set up.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top