JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I understand if NICS has not given a dealer an approval or denial within three business days from the call in, the dealer may proceed with the transaction. Not sure how that applies if NICS itself is unavailable.

Of course, Oregon queries NICS independently, so unless the database goes down we might be unaffected.

PS. In the 2011 budget impasse, I think NRA researched and found NICS was considered an essential service and would not be shut down.

They'll probably try and work it like the "sequester", purposely try and make it as painful as possible.

That is my thinking too. The current administration is not gun-friendly, so I assume they will shut it down if other parts of gov shutdown.

What may make it worse for a while after a restart is the backlog of requests.

Peter

Everything I've seen says they will operate as normal.

<broken link removed>

Deen
NRA Life Member, Benefactor Level
"Defender of Freedom" award
Second Amendment Foundation Member
Washington Arms Collectors Member
Arms Collectors of SW Washington Member

"Having a gun is like a parachute, if you need one and don't have it you may never need it again"

Pretty sure background checks are still operational.
They are, see my post #9 for the link.

Deen
NRA Life Member, Benefactor Level
"Defender of Freedom" award
Second Amendment Foundation Member
Washington Arms Collectors Member
Arms Collectors of SW Washington Member

"Having a gun is like a parachute, if you need one and don't have it you may never need it again"

If you're got your eye on something, you might want to buy it before mid October in case there is a government shutdown.

Peter

Based on what? Some Glenn Beck remark? I heard his quick diatribe this afternoon that it will be tough buying a gun, and he's full of fecal material.

NICS up and running, despite scare tactics

While so-called "non-essential" government workers are off the job today, that does not mean the Second Amendment has been suspended because the FBI's National Instant Check System is up and running, despite what CNN and one Oregon television news agency suggested today and yesterday.

<broken link removed>

This just came thorough from Washington County on CHL checks:

CONCEALED HANDGUN LICENSE ACTIVITY

News Release from Washington Co. Sheriff's Office
Posted on FlashAlert: October 1st, 2013 2:05 PM
There have been reports of closures in local Sheriff's Office concealed hand gun license divisions. There has NOT been a decrease in hours or days in Washington County. It is business as usual at the Sheriff's Office regardless of activity in other governmental agencies. The Sheriff's Office has been processing about 550-750 total concealed handgun requests every month since the beginning of the year with no slowdown or closures expected.

Thank you

While so-called "non-essential" government workers are off the job today, that does not mean the Second Amendment has been suspended because the FBI's National Instant Check System is up and running, despite what CNN and one Oregon television news agency suggested today and yesterday.

<broken link removed>

I did not know the 2nd Amendment required background checks.....

Just got a confirmation email from my "dealer" and he replied with the following statement:

"YES! NICS/FBI are still operating as normal.. I used them about an hour ago and they sent me an email to the fact that they will remain open as normal during this shutdown."

The hour ago would have been 6:30 (1830 for those that like to confuse people) 01 October 2013. That's good enough for me.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top