Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Future ATF rules

Discussion in 'Legal & Political Archive' started by Solved, Jun 4, 2015.

1. Solved

Solved Lane County Member

The DOJ has a number ATF rules yet to be implemented in their register. Any of these rules can be implemented at any time. Many of them are already planned for sometime this year or next year
    Link here:
    http://reginfo.gov/public/do/eAgend...ctive&agencyCd=1100&Image58.x=40&Image58.y=17

These include
    Final action 12/00/15

Final action 1/00/16
    (this would make AR/AK pistols AOWs)

And many other including the M855 ban

You should be informed about this. Make sure to spread it around.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2015
  2. GURU

GURU Washington New Member

If the definition and regulation changes for AR pistols; expect a massive parts purchasing rush and price rise.

It will lead to the banning of selling parts like short barrels and such things.

3. Solved

If the definition for pistols changes to makes AR pistols AOWs, everyone with one will have to get a tax stamp and the market for AR pistols will be dead. I would guess more people would be looking to sell them.

dietrich likes this.
  4. GURU

Yeah, but if you think you will still go in gun stores and see a barrel rack with anything under a 14.5 inch or even a 16 inch for sale you are wrong. Because the point I'm making if they do that, it will lead to a straight ban in selling parts that could be used for construction.

5. Solved

I hadn't consider that. Makes sense.

6. blackadder

blackadder Everett Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

What about replacement parts? If you can buy an auto sear for a machine gun (which you can), then you will be able buy replacement barrels for your SBRs and AR/AK pistols.
    What blows my mind is how the gov can turn something that is legally owned by a large number of Americans into a highly restricted device. I know it wouldn't be the first or last time, just crazy how a gov that is supposed to be "for the people" can get away with this.
    I did see this today though which gives me some hope.
    http://www.breitbart.com/big-government/2015/06/03/gop-reps-to-block-dojs-backdoor-gun-control/

dietrich and Solved like this.
  7. elsie

elsie Way over there on the left Well-Known Member

If they're still in the Federal Register, then they may still be up for comment. Been a long time since I messed with those, but there should be a way to give them your opinion on the regulation.

elsie

8. Caveman Jim

Caveman Jim West of Oly Springer Slayer 2016 Volunteer

Welcome to the Poeples Republic of Obamazars.

U201491, Dreams of Steel and Slobray like this.
  9. Solved

The pistol rule's comment period ended in 2005 and the background check/fingerprinting one ended in 2013

also an edit, the final action on the background check one is December 2015

10. GURU

Ok. But correct me if I am wrong, is a sear a stamped item? I don't think I can just go buy a sear off the shelf and walk out with it that day. So what would stop the ATF from saying anything under a 16 inch barrel needs its own stamp.

11. Classic

Classic Federal Way WA Well-Known Member

WTF???

http://tacticalbubblegum.com/atf-to-reclassify-high-power-pistols-as-nfa-items/

Replace bubblegum with sh_t ( you know the word) to get the article

“If you care remotely about firearms you need to voice your opinion of this. The ATF wants to add AR and AK pistols to the NFA and classify them as AOW which would force a $200 tax on making an AR/AK pistol. Also they want to change what “responsible person” means and make NFA Trusts get fingerprinted and get CLEO approval. They’re trying to take more freedoms friends, don’t let them!”

-Coffee and Spent Brass (on
    Tumblr)
    (The Hill)

The Justice Department plans to move forward this year with more than a dozen new gun-related regulations, according to list of rules the agency has proposed to enact before the end of the Obama administration.

The regulations range from new restrictions on high-powered pistols to gun storage requirements. Chief among them is a renewed effort to keep guns out of the hands of people who are mentally unstable or have been convicted of domestic abuse.
    Gun safety advocates have been calling for such reforms since the Sandy Hook school shooting nearly three years ago in Newtown, Conn. They say keeping guns away from dangerous people is of primary importance.

But the gun lobby contends that such a sweeping ban would unfairly root out a number of prospective gun owners who are not a danger to society.

“It’s clear President Obama is beginning his final assault on our Second Amendment rights by forcing his anti-gun agenda on honest law-abiding citizens through executive force,” said Luke O’Dell, vice president of political affairs at the National Association for Gun Rights.

The Justice Department plans to issue new rules expanding criteria for people who do not qualify for gun ownership, according to the recently released Unified Agenda, which is a list of rules that federal agencies are developing.
    Some of the rules come in response to President Obama’s call to reduce gun violence in the wake of Sandy Hook. He issued 23 executive actions shortly after the shooting aimed at keeping guns away from dangerous people, and some of those items remain incomplete.

“If America worked harder to keep guns out of the hands of dangerous people, there would be fewer atrocities like the one that occurred in Newtown,” Obama said at the time.

“We can respect the Second Amendment while keeping an irresponsible, law-breaking few from inflicting harm on a massive scale,” he added.

Gun control groups have rallied around Obama’s call to action, zeroing in on polices that would keep guns away from the mentally ill and domestic abusers.

Congressional efforts to expand background checks and keep guns away from dangerous people have failed in recent years, but the legislative defeats won’t stop the Justice Department from regulating.

The Justice Department’s Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF) is looking to revive a rule proposed way back in 1998 that would block domestic abusers from owning guns.

As proposed, the regulation makes it illegal for some who has been convicted of a misdemeanor domestic violence offense to own a gun.
    The ATF plans to finalize the rule by November, according to the Unified Agenda.
    But gun rights advocates are concerned the Obama administration will use this rule to unfairly target certain gun owners.

12. ZA_Survivalist

ZA_Survivalist Oregon AK's all day.

Well now, if my AK pistols that I used to own were now NFA items, I could slap a stock on them or a forward grip right? I meam, once it has that NFA classification one SHOULD get to do one or the other.

And what do they propose for those who already own said "high power pistols"?
    With ARs they'll never be able to control this unless they restrict barrels or mandate a pistol AR be branded on the lower as a pistol from then on out.

13. SCARed

SCARed Vancouver, WA Well-Known Member

This from people looking at old stuff thinking its new.
    The "pistol issue" is from 2004. The comment period ended in 2005.

41P is the only thing relevant right now and even that is unlikely. It's been pushed back further and further. There's an an amendment that was just passed blocking its implementation.

14. Classic

Article is from 2015....

Last edited: Jun 5, 2015
  15. Classic

Reintroduce. open until:
    NPRM 01/00/2016

16. Outrider

Outrider Oregon Active Member

Registration. No grandfathering.

They already have the mechanism (credible threat) in place to "control" this. Do the NFA dance or get destroyed. Few are willing to risk a fine that would bankrupt most regular people, the permanent loss of rights as a convicted felon, and a ten year sentence in a federal rape dungeon.

17. blackadder

http://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/triggers-parts/sear-parts/sears/auto-sear-m16-prod41732.aspx
    "All NFA rules apply", but those don't (apparently) restrict Joe Snuffy from purchasing the final part to making his oft' dreamed of machine gun. WTF is an NFA anyway?(sarcasm)

18. SCARed

SCARed Vancouver, WA Well-Known Member

For an AR, a trigger alone won't make it full auto. It's still a larger set of parts needed. And possession of all those part combined is where you get in trouble.

19. ZA_Survivalist

ZA_Survivalist Oregon AK's all day.

Sure glad I sold mine.. :rolleyes:

20. blackadder

My point is you can purchase every part you need to make a full auto firearm as replacement parts. So why would you not be able to purchase a pistol/SBR length barrel as a replacement part even after both were restricted?