JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
The DOJ has a number ATF rules yet to be implemented in their register. Any of these rules can be implemented at any time. Many of them are already planned for sometime this year or next year
Link here:
http://reginfo.gov/public/do/eAgend...ctive&agencyCd=1100&Image58.x=40&Image58.y=17

These include
The Department of Justice is planning to finalize a proposed rule to amend the regulations of the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives (ATF) regarding the making or transferring of a firearm under the National Firearms Act. As proposed, the rule would; (1) add a definition for the term "responsible person"; (2) require each responsible person of a corporation, trust or legal entity to complete a specified form, and to submit photographs and fingerprints; and (3) modify the requirements regarding the certificate of the chief law enforcement officer (CLEO).
Final action 12/00/15

This rule would propose to amend the regulations relating to machine guns, destructive devices, and certain other firearms regulated under the National Firearms Act (NFA) for the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives (ATF) to clarify the definition of the term "pistol" and to define more clearly exceptions to the "pistol" definition.
Final action 1/00/16
(this would make AR/AK pistols AOWs)

And many other including the M855 ban

You should be informed about this. Make sure to spread it around.

Last Edited:
If the definition and regulation changes for AR pistols; expect a massive parts purchasing rush and price rise.

It will lead to the banning of selling parts like short barrels and such things.
If the definition for pistols changes to makes AR pistols AOWs, everyone with one will have to get a tax stamp and the market for AR pistols will be dead. I would guess more people would be looking to sell them.

Yeah, but if you think you will still go in gun stores and see a barrel rack with anything under a 14.5 inch or even a 16 inch for sale you are wrong. Because the point I'm making if they do that, it will lead to a straight ban in selling parts that could be used for construction.
What about replacement parts? If you can buy an auto sear for a machine gun (which you can), then you will be able buy replacement barrels for your SBRs and AR/AK pistols.
What blows my mind is how the gov can turn something that is legally owned by a large number of Americans into a highly restricted device. I know it wouldn't be the first or last time, just crazy how a gov that is supposed to be "for the people" can get away with this.
I did see this today though which gives me some hope.
http://www.breitbart.com/big-government/2015/06/03/gop-reps-to-block-dojs-backdoor-gun-control/

If they're still in the Federal Register, then they may still be up for comment. Been a long time since I messed with those, but there should be a way to give them your opinion on the regulation.

elsie

If they're still in the Federal Register, then they may still be up for comment. Been a long time since I messed with those, but there should be a way to give them your opinion on the regulation.

elsie

The pistol rule's comment period ended in 2005 and the background check/fingerprinting one ended in 2013

also an edit, the final action on the background check one is December 2015

WTF???

http://tacticalbubblegum.com/atf-to-reclassify-high-power-pistols-as-nfa-items/

Replace bubblegum with sh_t ( you know the word) to get the article

"If you care remotely about firearms you need to voice your opinion of this. The ATF wants to add AR and AK pistols to the NFA and classify them as AOW which would force a $200 tax on making an AR/AK pistol. Also they want to change what "responsible person" means and make NFA Trusts get fingerprinted and get CLEO approval. They're trying to take more freedoms friends, don't let them!"

-Coffee and Spent Brass (on [URL='http://coffeeandspentbrass.tumblr.com/post/120756944884/atf-to-reclassify-ar-ak-pistols-to-aow-and-screw']Tumblr
)
(The Hill)

The Justice Department plans to move forward this year with more than a dozen new gun-related regulations, according to list of rules the agency has proposed to enact before the end of the Obama administration.

The regulations range from new restrictions on high-powered pistols to gun storage requirements. Chief among them is a renewed effort to keep guns out of the hands of people who are mentally unstable or have been convicted of domestic abuse.
Gun safety advocates have been calling for such reforms since the Sandy Hook school shooting nearly three years ago in Newtown, Conn. They say keeping guns away from dangerous people is of primary importance.

But the gun lobby contends that such a sweeping ban would unfairly root out a number of prospective gun owners who are not a danger to society.

"It's clear President Obama is beginning his final assault on our Second Amendment rights by forcing his anti-gun agenda on honest law-abiding citizens through executive force," said Luke O'Dell, vice president of political affairs at the National Association for Gun Rights.

The Justice Department plans to issue new rules expanding criteria for people who do not qualify for gun ownership, according to the recently released Unified Agenda, which is a list of rules that federal agencies are developing.
Some of the rules come in response to President Obama's call to reduce gun violence in the wake of Sandy Hook. He issued 23 executive actions shortly after the shooting aimed at keeping guns away from dangerous people, and some of those items remain incomplete.

"If America worked harder to keep guns out of the hands of dangerous people, there would be fewer atrocities like the one that occurred in Newtown," Obama said at the time.

"We can respect the Second Amendment while keeping an irresponsible, law-breaking few from inflicting harm on a massive scale," he added.

Gun control groups have rallied around Obama's call to action, zeroing in on polices that would keep guns away from the mentally ill and domestic abusers.

Congressional efforts to expand background checks and keep guns away from dangerous people have failed in recent years, but the legislative defeats won't stop the Justice Department from regulating.

The Justice Department's Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF) is looking to revive a rule proposed way back in 1998 that would block domestic abusers from owning guns.

As proposed, the regulation makes it illegal for some who has been convicted of a misdemeanor domestic violence offense to own a gun.
The ATF plans to finalize the rule by November, according to the Unified Agenda.
But gun rights advocates are concerned the Obama administration will use this rule to unfairly target certain gun owners.
[/URL]

Well now, if my AK pistols that I used to own were now NFA items, I could slap a stock on them or a forward grip right? I meam, once it has that NFA classification one SHOULD get to do one or the other.

And what do they propose for those who already own said "high power pistols"?
With ARs they'll never be able to control this unless they restrict barrels or mandate a pistol AR be branded on the lower as a pistol from then on out.

This from people looking at old stuff thinking its new.
The "pistol issue" is from 2004. The comment period ended in 2005.

41P is the only thing relevant right now and even that is unlikely. It's been pushed back further and further. There's an an amendment that was just passed blocking its implementation.

This from people looking at old stuff thinking its new.
The "pistol issue" is from 2004. The comment period ended in 2005.

41P is the only thing relevant right now and even that is unlikely. It's been pushed back further and further. There's an an amendment that was just passed blocking its implementation.

Article is from 2015....

Last Edited:
And what do they propose for those who already own said "high power pistols"?

Registration. No grandfathering.

With ARs they'll never be able to control this unless they restrict barrels or mandate a pistol AR be branded on the lower as a pistol from then on out.

They already have the mechanism (credible threat) in place to "control" this. Do the NFA dance or get destroyed. Few are willing to risk a fine that would bankrupt most regular people, the permanent loss of rights as a convicted felon, and a ten year sentence in a federal rape dungeon.

Ok. But correct me if I am wrong, is a sear a stamped item? I don't think I can just go buy a sear off the shelf and walk out with it that day. So what would stop the ATF from saying anything under a 16 inch barrel needs its own stamp.
http://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/triggers-parts/sear-parts/sears/auto-sear-m16-prod41732.aspx
"All NFA rules apply", but those don't (apparently) restrict Joe Snuffy from purchasing the final part to making his oft' dreamed of machine gun. WTF is an NFA anyway?(sarcasm)

For an AR, a trigger alone won't make it full auto. It's still a larger set of parts needed. And possession of all those part combined is where you get in trouble.

Registration. No grandfathering.

They already have the mechanism (credible threat) in place to "control" this. Do the NFA dance or get destroyed. Few are willing to risk a fine that would bankrupt most regular people, the permanent loss of rights as a convicted felon, and a ten year sentence in a federal rape dungeon.
Sure glad I sold mine.. :rolleyes:

For an AR, a trigger alone won't make it full auto. It's still a larger set of parts needed. And possession of all those part combined is where you get in trouble.
My point is you can purchase every part you need to make a full auto firearm as replacement parts. So why would you not be able to purchase a pistol/SBR length barrel as a replacement part even after both were restricted?

The parts do nothing to make your lower full auto until you drill the lower reciver to accept the full auto sear set. then the lower is the NFA item. as a FFL with a SOT I can have these as a shop gun but if I no longer have my FFL these lowers have to be destroyed.

The parts do nothing to make your lower full auto until you drill the lower reciver to accept the full auto sear set. then the lower is the NFA item. as a FFL with a SOT I can have these as a shop gun but if I no longer have my FFL these lowers have to be destroyed.
Agreed. However my point still stands, it is currently possible to purchase replacement parts that are used exclusively in NFA weapons. So, if AR/AK (high-powered) pistols become AOWs, then barrels shorter than 14.5" would only be used on NFA weapons. However, it's possible that retailers would be allowed to continue selling these items as replacement parts for said NFA weapons.
I am not arguing legally, constructive intent, or how hard it is or is not to make a machine gun. I am arguing that it is possible for the public to purchase parts used exclusively in NFA weapons. That's all.

So if the ATFtards succeed in reclassifying AR and AK pistols into AOWs, does anyone know what their criteria would be to do so? Pistols that fire centerfire rifle rounds and accept a detachable mag or what?

I know, it's like trying to see into the mind of a rapist. Not sure exactly what their thinking, just they're trying to bubblegum you.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top