Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

fun shotgun project

Discussion in 'Rifle Discussion' started by speelyei, Jan 19, 2010.

1. speelyei

speelyei Willamette Valley Active Member

I got this idea a while back. I was bemoaning my lack of a shotgun, but wanted something out of the ordinary. Lots of reasons for a shotgun, call it what you want... home defense, zombie killer, raccoon/garbage interface disruptor, whatever.. it's all a public rationalization anyway... But I couldn't afford to run out and buy an 870 or a home defense rig...

Step One: Get cheap shotgun. Bonus points because I made a new friend, who is also a long range shooting partner, that I couldn't have hand picked better, and he traded me a shotgun for a promise to buy meals on the way to a competition...
    P1170071.jpg
    Savage Stevens Model 94 series M, 12 ga 3" chamber, complete with cracked stock, light pitting and some surface rust and wear. Bet she kicks like a mule...

Step Two: Now bubba make gun shorter. There's something uncomfortable and vandalistic feeling about taking a hacksaw to a firearm. Fight through those feelings... 20" gives room to make square. I actually worried about muzzle crown in relation to accuracy... as if it could possibly matter with this Frankenstein blunderbuss. Squared with carpenters square, file, and emery paper. Only the best for me...
    P1170072.jpg

Step Three: fabricate newer, cooler, Hollywood furniture. I used the barrel cut-off as sanding guide. I used a piece of mahogany (recovered from a wrecked fishing vessel that washed up five years ago) for new foregrip. What shape is cooler than a beavertail? NONE!
    P1170073.jpg

Step Four: Final fitting, finger grooves, and staining on forepgrip. I polished the chamber painstakingly to make for a spectacular spent shell ejection.
    P1180075.jpg

P1180077.jpg

I had planned to Duracoat it, but an unexpected vet bill put the brakes on that plan. I also very carefully marked, punched, and drilled to re-set the sight bead.... in exactly the wrong place. It ended up at 11 o'clock, not 12! Oh well, I am happy with the look and feel of it. Maybe further down the line I will blast it and have it parkerized and a breaching muzzle installed. That will cover the hole I drilled adequately...
    P1190002.jpg

P1190004.jpg

Shot it last night. Felt about like I thought... not as much recoil as you'd fear, but more than you'd like. Pretty fun all in all.

2. clearconscience

clearconscience Vancouver, WA Well-Known Member

Looks pretty sweet. Nice room broom.

A friend of mine has one similar he got from his gramps. Pretty sweet breach load. Only his has a smaller barrel. Too small. So I won't mention names.

3. goatguns

goatguns Dallas OR Member

that is very nice I like that. great job.

4. Mutoman

Mutoman North Bend Active Member

Pretty cool low-cost project; makes me want to mod out that old rusty shotgun that was given to me.

5. MuddyWatters

MuddyWatters West Seattle Member

Very nice!

6. Logical1

Logical1 southeast portland, OR Member

Holy Crap I cannot stop laughing at the well written play by play, things like "only the best for me". well thought out and what a fun looking little breach shotgun. Nice work.

7. speelyei

Thanks!

8. Generator

Generator Bend Member

More than well done!
    ...Now if I can quantify the amount of Beef Jerky I buy and my buddies eat when we are shooting....mmmm, I'm a few trips away from something.

9. madcratebuilder

madcratebuilder Ardenwald, OR Well-Known Member

That came out great, you know if you cut it to 18" that misaligned front bead well be history. Think bayonet!

10. M.Link

M.Link Guest

That's awesome! I got a Winchester M12 pump from my grandpa, with a dinged barrel. I cut it to 18 and turned the stock into a pistol grip...wish I didn't do that. I know what you mean about cutting any gun, it feels bad, but on a big ol' shottie, the results are awesome! Good job.

11. jasparseed1@yahoo.com

jasparseed1@yahoo.com Lebanon Member

Cool job am going to try a Pump - like a dummy passed on and old Sears the other day for 65.00 would have worked great, what did you bead the gun barrel with, Nice Job...

12. no time

no time Roseburg area Active Member

Nice job! It changes the whole gun for the better. Plus the pics and write up were great!

What is the next project?

13. speelyei

Thanks! As for the next project, I'll have to wait for inspiration to strike...
    I may do up a couple more of those for my brothers, and one for my wife in 20ga...

14. speelyei

follow up...
    got some 12ga magnum slugs in 2 3/4". You feel that, lemme tell ya. Grouped 5 on a paper plate at 100 yards, no sights. I may have a 'smith install sights. It's such a light, handy little gun, I carried it on a spring bear hunt through the jungle and left the .308 in the pack. The more I shoot it, the better I like it! It'll bruise ya, though.

15. BigNickShooting

BigNickShooting Centralia, WA Active Member

No need for sights installed by a gunsmith. Go to Sportsman Warehouse. They have a magnetic sight with a 1" fiber optic that you can put on your shottie, then tweak it to get into 12'o clock positions. When it's done, a few drops of blue Loctite will keep it in the position forever.

And I hope you all like this shotgun (which is a mutt between a shotgun and an old trumpet ... )

funshottie.jpg

16. speelyei

ha! that is excellent!