JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I got this idea a while back. I was bemoaning my lack of a shotgun, but wanted something out of the ordinary. Lots of reasons for a shotgun, call it what you want... home defense, zombie killer, raccoon/garbage interface disruptor, whatever.. it's all a public rationalization anyway... But I couldn't afford to run out and buy an 870 or a home defense rig...

Step One: Get cheap shotgun. Bonus points because I made a new friend, who is also a long range shooting partner, that I couldn't have hand picked better, and he traded me a shotgun for a promise to buy meals on the way to a competition...

Savage Stevens Model 94 series M, 12 ga 3" chamber, complete with cracked stock, light pitting and some surface rust and wear. Bet she kicks like a mule...

Step Two: Now bubba make gun shorter. There's something uncomfortable and vandalistic feeling about taking a hacksaw to a firearm. Fight through those feelings... 20" gives room to make square. I actually worried about muzzle crown in relation to accuracy... as if it could possibly matter with this Frankenstein blunderbuss. Squared with carpenters square, file, and emery paper. Only the best for me...

Step Three: fabricate newer, cooler, Hollywood furniture. I used the barrel cut-off as sanding guide. I used a piece of mahogany (recovered from a wrecked fishing vessel that washed up five years ago) for new foregrip. What shape is cooler than a beavertail? NONE!

Step Four: Final fitting, finger grooves, and staining on forepgrip. I polished the chamber painstakingly to make for a spectacular spent shell ejection.

I had planned to Duracoat it, but an unexpected vet bill put the brakes on that plan. I also very carefully marked, punched, and drilled to re-set the sight bead.... in exactly the wrong place. It ended up at 11 o'clock, not 12! Oh well, I am happy with the look and feel of it. Maybe further down the line I will blast it and have it parkerized and a breaching muzzle installed. That will cover the hole I drilled adequately...

Shot it last night. Felt about like I thought... not as much recoil as you'd fear, but more than you'd like. Pretty fun all in all.

Last edited by a moderator:
More than well done!
...Now if I can quantify the amount of Beef Jerky I buy and my buddies eat when we are shooting....mmmm, I'm a few trips away from something.

That's awesome! I got a Winchester M12 pump from my grandpa, with a dinged barrel. I cut it to 18 and turned the stock into a pistol grip...wish I didn't do that. I know what you mean about cutting any gun, it feels bad, but on a big ol' shottie, the results are awesome! Good job.

follow up...
got some 12ga magnum slugs in 2 3/4". You feel that, lemme tell ya. Grouped 5 on a paper plate at 100 yards, no sights. I may have a 'smith install sights. It's such a light, handy little gun, I carried it on a spring bear hunt through the jungle and left the .308 in the pack. The more I shoot it, the better I like it! It'll bruise ya, though.

follow up...
got some 12ga magnum slugs in 2 3/4". You feel that, lemme tell ya. Grouped 5 on a paper plate at 100 yards, no sights. I may have a 'smith install sights. It's such a light, handy little gun, I carried it on a spring bear hunt through the jungle and left the .308 in the pack. The more I shoot it, the better I like it! It'll bruise ya, though.

No need for sights installed by a gunsmith. Go to Sportsman Warehouse. They have a magnetic sight with a 1" fiber optic that you can put on your shottie, then tweak it to get into 12'o clock positions. When it's done, a few drops of blue Loctite will keep it in the position forever.

And I hope you all like this shotgun (which is a mutt between a shotgun and an old trumpet ... )

funshottie.jpg

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads