JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Thinking of picking up a single shot to have fun with suppressed plinking and reloading silly bubblegum with.

What would you pick.

300 blackout

350 legend

Both seem to be a fun pick for reloading. The 350 seems like it would be fun to try to get fat long bullets going slow and quite.

I don't understand shooting large caliber firearms with a suppressor on it. I'm not being critical, I just don't understand it. It seems to me that bullets that travel faster than the speed of sound are going to create their own sonic "boom" and thereby eliminate the effectiveness of of the suppressor. Now as far as single shot shooting is concerned, that I understand. For me, long distance (I'm thinking 500 yards) single shot shooting (please say that as fast as you can three times) with either a scope or iron sights is great fun.

Thinking of picking up a single shot to have fun with suppressed plinking and reloading silly bubblegum with.

What would you pick.

300 blackout

350 legend

Both seem to be a fun pick for reloading. The 350 seems like it would be fun to try to get fat long bullets going slow and quite.

The Legend won't fit in standard AR magazines. Don't know how easy/hard mags will be to find and also this is a year old cartridge, so I would wonder if it will be a flash in the pan or it it will still be around in a few years. Very intriguing if it lives up to it's specs.

The other consideration would be cost/availability of 35 cal suppressors vs 30 cal.

Me. I;d go BO so I could share the suppressor between it and my AR308

I don't understand shooting large caliber firearms with a suppressor on it. I'm not being critical, I just don't understand it. It seems to me that bullets that travel faster than the speed of sound are going to create their own sonic "boom" and thereby eliminate the effectiveness of of the suppressor. Now as far as single shot shooting is concerned, that I understand. For me, long distance (I'm thinking 500 yards) single shot shooting (please say that as fast as you can three times) with either a scope or iron sights is great fun.

A suppressor used with a supersonic cartridge allows you to shoot without the need for hearing protection. You are correct that it on't hide your location.

I have a CVA single shot in 45-70 that everybody that shoots it says it's quite fun. The load I make for it is a 350gr RNFP just over the speed of sound at 1300 FPS so an even heavier bullt like a 500 gr would be no problem to make sub sonic. Then with a can on it all you would hear is the fireing pin snap and the WHAP at the other end.

Last Edited:
The AAC H & R handi rifle is a mighty nice choice in 300 BO. And yes, it was a collaboration with AAC and H&R as weird as that seems. My handirifle of that type has a much better fit than the others I own..

A suppressor used with a supersonic cartridge allows you to shoot without the need for hearing protection. You are correct that it on't hide your location.
OK. But it seems to me that the suppressor will reduce the velocity of the projectile. Maybe that's not the case. I simply don't know. I wear hearing protection in my shop, out shooting and when my wife's yelling at me. I already wear some powerful hearing aids and can't afford to lose much more!

...seems like it would be fun to try to get fat long bullets going slow and quite.

My .45-70 load for my Sharps is a 535 grain bullet @ 1100fps. Wonder how that would do suppressed if it was just a tad slower?

I have a CVA single shot in 45-70 that everybody that shoots it says it's quite fun. The load I make for it is a 350gr RNFP just over the speed of sound at 1300 FPS so an even heavier bullt like a 500 gr would be no problem to make sub sonic. Then with a can on it all you would hear is the fireing pin snap and the WHAP at the other end.

For some reference, 500gr is more than an ounce of lead going downrange at .458 caliber vs a 1 oz .72 caliber 12ga slug. Lots of oomph there on both ends and much more penetration potential vs a slug.

I like the 20MM!:s0140:

maxresdefault.jpg

Both 300 blackout and 350 legend can be loaded with heavier projectiles. Reducing the speed to below that of sound. So no sonic crack. Adding a can can make them extraordinarily quiet.
The Legend won't fit in standard AR magazines. Don't know how easy/hard mags will be to find and also this is a year old cartridge, so I would wonder if it will be a flash in the pan or it it will still be around in a few years. Very intriguing if it lives up to it's specs.

The other consideration would be cost/availability of 35 cal suppressors vs 30 cal.

Me. I;d go BO so I could share the suppressor between it and my AR308
Not looking into semis. Single shot.
OK. But it seems to me that the suppressor will reduce the velocity of the projectile. Maybe that's not the case. I simply don't know. I wear hearing protection in my shop, out shooting and when my wife's yelling at me. I already wear some powerful hearing aids and can't afford to lose much more!
Suppressors don't do anything to reduce velocity. They do control the gasses leaving the muzzle, slow them and release them slower than the speed of sound. So you don't get the blast. If shooting subsonic rounds, slower than the sound of speed, you won't get a crack or a blast. Heavier bullets still transfer good energy at slower speeds. Like lighter bullets going faster.
I'd stick with 300BO, the 350 Legend requires modification to AR mags, the 300 does not.
Just single shots, not looking to go semi.

I've got a Form 1 suppressor that I built off a 556/308 kit. It is bored for 9mm. So anything 9mm or smaller can technically go through it. This single shot would be used with this can.

CVA has a 10.5" pistol single shot and a 16" single shot rifle. Both look fun. CVA also has a 20" 350 legend single. Been thinking the 10.5" would be fun SBRd.

The AAC H & R handi rifle is a mighty nice choice in 300 BO. And yes, it was a collaboration with AAC and H&R as weird as that seems. My handirifle of that type has a much better fit than the others I own..
Had one before getting into suppressors. Sold it off years ago. Thought about doing another 38, like the one I sold you. This time I want something more "rifle" like.

I have a cva single shot in 44 mag. I had the barrel lopped off to 16.25" and threaded. Very easy to handload 300gr bullets into subsonic range. It is very accurate and quiet with can. The CVA's are sleepers as they have Begara barrels and sweet triggers.

Single Shot: Check.

Big and slow bullet: Check. (400g Snover at 1186fps: subsonic is easy from here.)

Quiet? Um...not so much.

Fun: Check. (see below)

PA120056.JPG

Shiloh Sharps M1874. (Farmingdale Manufacture) .40-50 Sharps Bottleneck.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top