JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Got out yesterday with a friend I had not been shooting with for a while.
Not anything real 'formal' but a lot of just offhand pistol shooting and a little rifle.
I did manage to get my 26" Winchester 100 year Commemorative dialed in with the globe sight I installed on it a while while back. I only had eight rounds for it but got it dead nuts on and will get more ammo loaded up for it for a better range report later.
AND FWIW this friend of mine is deadly! He was hitting a 5 gal LP tank at 120+ yards with his 6" Ruger .44 Mag Redhawk six out of six !!! - And while standing ....
Otherwise a good day but we had to quit at about noon as it was getting pretty warm! - only 73 - but the sun cleared the trees so shade was gone!
Interestingly my friend told me he is buying a Ruger Blackhawk in .45 Colt/.45 ACP convertible AND thinking about an 'Original' 1860 Henry.
I DO however have some bad news... While I love my PCC I am liking the stock sights less and less. They are not bad - per se - but it is difficult to to keep a clear sight picture with the square blade front and I cannot maintain zero on the bull as well as I can say with a typical 'bead' style front. Even my friend who is an excellent shot and shoots long range was experiencing the same results so I will be looking at doing something different on it.
IMG_1530.JPG

cannot maintain zero on the bull as well as I can say with a typical 'bead' style front.

since using mine for speed steel primarily, I mounted a Burris FF3 red dot. Perfect combo....or wait...:eek:was that a TRS-80? geez, miss a couple matches & there goes the old equipment list.....now I'll have to go dig it out again...o_O

I just starting shooting with a guy who thinks of a handgun as a 20 yards and closer weapon.
Not so.
Well and at the same time my friend saw me pull out my 2" Mod 60 .38 and said 'Hey I saw Hickok45 hit a LP tank at 100 yards with one' - To which I said 'I can do that as well with mine' - and walked out (knowing there was an old LP tank out there) found it and set it up.
This is NO BS - I loaded it, settled down into a kneeling position and touched off - and a resounding 'clang' was heard from the tank! He said "I didn't think you would do that' (I was surprised I did it on the first shot) but its not hard to do with a hand gun if you are very familiar with how it shoots and know where to holdover.
I can routinely hit a 100 yard LP tank with my 1911 five out of seven rounds.

speaking of handgun surprises, my little story of introduction to 'over 20 yard' pistolry....

A buddy/gunsmith invited me out to see something called "IMHSA" circa 1979ish.

I was amazed but in disbelief at what I was watched. He finally said 'Here, you try it' and gave me his prize Super Blackhawk all sighted in with his custom load....I took ain (Standing, iron sights) and squeezed the trigger at the 200 yd Ram. There was a pause & I actually just started to turn away, then 'cccllLLALANNNNGGGGGGG' and the dern thing fell over!!!

That was the start of my next 40 years hobby time....in different forms of course, but the goal was the same.

Oh ok - I created a thread seeking info on prism/red dots etc. as i am considering one for my PCC.
This particular Bushnell gets pretty good reviews so that is why I asked.

I have a couple of the 25's. Put them on a quick mount so I can swap them from 2 different .22 hand guns and 3 PCC's. Work fantastic. The quick mounts were dirt cheap and I really was not expecting much from them. Was quite shocked that I can move the dots from gun to gun and they still hit what I point at. Now and then have to move a click or two at most.

Yea - when did accuracy give way to 'speed' competitions?
That's one of the biggest reasons I never got into any
Sort of competitive shooting as it is nearly all about speed - heck even CAS is about speed and shouldn't be - killed it for me on that as well Many moons ago!

This particular Bushnell gets pretty good reviews so that is why I asked.
Wanting to confirm that IS what I mounted on my own PCC. It is an excellent match for the range game I use it for; don't know how longer range holds up but very worth a look.
I have the FastFire 2 & 3s and a couple of the TRS 25s on various gear. I did go thru a stage 4 or 5 years ago trying a lot of the cheaper Chinese dot-things & the ones I had were all a waste of time & $.

another SECRET is the great sales on this model I used to run into now & then for well under $50, sometimes in the low $40s. I think those days are gone, but still outstanding performance for excellent price....less than half the FF3s that I favor of late.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top