JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hello all,

I recently purchased a ruger sr45 and so far really enjoy it. I'm making it a primarily owb camping/ woods side arm. I would like to mount a flash light underneath the barrel on it. With that in mind would anyone recommend a handy and DURABLE pistol flashlight or have any useful input. Any relative information will be greatly appreciated. Thank you

So far I've eyeballing the streamlight tlr1, 2, and 3 along with the crimson trace light.o_O

I've got a TLR1s. I really like it and it's durable. 300 lumens for a $100. Many holster makers have the tlr's for holsters too.

TLR-1 (pick any whitelight version - I've had the original and own the "s" model now)

Inexpensive but rugged, excellent light. The strobe pattern is very disorienting and the light is blindingly bright. I sometimes carry it on the pistol, but mostly now it lives on the dedicated bump in the night AR. One of these days I'll pick up another for my full size pistol, but I think I prefer the light on the rifle over the light on the pistol. I carry a flash light on my person 99% of the time so for me it's not as big an issue.

One thing to remember about pistol mounted lights - they require a good holster to carry, and unlike a holster that is made only for a pistol which usually uses molding around the trigger guard for it's retention - pistols with a light attached use the light as the retentive bearing surface and you have this cylinder shaped opening around your trigger guard - be mindful of this when you're practicing your draw & reholster - it's easier to get an article of clothing caught in these holsters than others thanks to the big light channel.

For a slimmer package, I believe Crimson Trace makes a thin profile light that is about as wide as most guns. It is obviously not as bright - but it's a good start toward eventually having small, powerful lights to mount to a pistol. I can't wait for the day when I can have a very powerful light on the gun, without the big bulge and bulk that the current crop requires on your holsters. I think the Crimson Trace lights are about as powerful as the original M3 incandescent lights from 15-20 years ago (IIRC about 50-60 lumens - plenty for indoor work, not so great outside)

I'm looking for a lower intensity light for a home defense gun. Super bright lights constrict my pupils immediately and kill my already not great night vision. I've noticed that the little MicroStream that I usually carry in my pocket can be turned on just long enough to scan a room or get my bearings in the dark, and I can usually still see shapes afterward. The 300 lumen ones leave spots in my vision for a minute or two. Can anyone recommend a decent rail-mounted light in the 50 to 100 lumen range? I've been looking at the Picatinny mount for the MicroStream but something with a little wider beam might be nice.

Sooooo your saying my TLR1 HL with 630 lumens is too much?!
Lol
I can see your point. It can be overload, but that's why I like it. With the strobe, someone on the business end won't be seeing anything.

The streamlight TLR3/4 are in your lumen range. The other one to try is the Inforce pistol lights. I have a TLR3 on my glove box g23 and have about 2500 rds through it with that light on it, it has been dropped at the range a few times and bounced around in the glove box of my truck for a couple years now and it works perfect. I also have a TLR4 light laser on my HK VP9 and that has about 1000rds on it and works great other than the laser doesnt hold exact zero when it gets bumped around. I have had custom holster made for each and they hold in place perfectly with no complaints. The Streamlights are the best for the money in my opinion.

E7A78A00-1B4F-42A5-8CE1-8152424E4EC4.jpg 1C3B439A-6B37-437D-9473-8AA601CECA79.jpg

The streamlight TLR3/4 are in your lumen range. The other one to try is the Inforce pistol lights. I have a TLR3 on my glove box g23 and have about 2500 rds through it with that light on it, it has been dropped at the range a few times and bounced around in the glove box of my truck for a couple years now and it works perfect. I also have a TLR4 light laser on my HK VP9 and that has about 1000rds on it and works great other than the laser doesnt hold exact zero when it gets bumped around. I have had custom holster made for each and they hold in place perfectly with no complaints. The Streamlights are the best for the money in my opinion.
How well do the pistols stay seated in their holsters?

Retention in a holster will depend on the quality of the holster. I have Safariland holsters with the SLS and ALS and a Raven Phantom that hold the pistol and very well.
Safari land makes good holsters. I'm not familiar with the other brands. I'm wanting to give my business to a local holster company called black label holsters located in Vancouver. I believe they're quality holsters. I'm worried that the light may prevent a quality lock up on a kydex holster. Maybe the company will address this?

How well do the pistols stay seated in their holsters?
Both very well, they are not coming out unless its on purpose. I had both made custom by Ryan from MK Tactical out in Beaverton. I have not tried any other name brands, then again why would I when Ryans cheaper and way faster and can change things on the spot if you dont like the fit.

I checked out the mk tactical. I may go there to find out if they can hook me up with a nice holster.

Raven holsters look nice. I want a design similar to the phantom light because I've had that design in the past and liked it a lot. They did not carry a sr45 version. I'm also hoping to pay less than $100 for a holster.

I'm leaning towards a tlr3 at the moment because I like the lower lumen count versus the torch of a light the tlr1 has. 100-200 lumens is perfect for my use.

Thanks for all the comments and suggestions.

Nice! Thanks for the follow up.

Personaly, I use a 2 pound mag light in my off hand - doubles as a club;)

That's what I was using and works very well! Mag lights hold a very special place in my heart.

I've never had a weapon light on a pistol. I had a surefire on my M4 in the service with a pressure switch that worked great for room clearing.

I chose to go with a light on those firearm to see how much I would like a pistol with a light. It's also handy to have to only grab one thing when you're in the woods at night.

I hate open ended forums so I had to add the conclusion in case it may help someone else out with the same questions.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top