JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
You've covered gear, here's some behavioral tips for new carriers... most of us probably do these instinctually:

Restaurants:
The "gunfighter seat"... beyond sitting facing the door, i position my "gun side" away from the room.
I like to sit away from the front door, the kitchen will probably provide the best exit, depends on the layout.
If it's not a place I'm familiar with, a quick drive around the back will tell you alot: chairs, ashtrays, etc tell you that the back door is used for breaks and probably doesn't require a key to unlock in case an emergency exit is needed.

Outside:
I carry something with some weight in my jacket pocket... it helps to swing it out of the way in case you need to draw.
I try to never carry anything in my right hand that I might hesitate to drop... like a kid, or my beer.
If I messed-up and don't have my keys ready in my left hand, I keep moving and looking around til I get em situated. It's easy enough to play it off and not look like a Secret Squirrel. Head on a swivel at all times.
Cut a wide berth when walking around blind corners
Always leave an "out" when stuck at a red light, don't get boxed-in.
I lock my car doors even if I have the windows down. A car-jacker will probably try the door handle first, it might gain you a second or two to respond.

It's all basic situational awareness that doesn't have to be ninja-tactics. I'm a driver. I operate at night. So you could say that I spend an inordinate amout of time in dark parking lots... and you'd be correct.

To
SOB carry is a great way to end up damaging your back or making a broken back much, much worse. Personally, I think it's as bad or worse than tilting a gun 90 degrees when firing.

It's Hollywood BS pure and simple.

ETA:
I won't buy any holster, regardless of what kind it is, from any manufacturer that makes and sells SOB holsters. IMO is tells me...

1) They are clueless about the product they produce
and/or
2) They care more about turning a buck over the welfare of their customers

either way I won't deal with them.

Last Edited:
It's Hollywood BS
My favorite "Stupid Gun Thing On TV" involves apparent SOB carry, Hollywood-style:
From one of the procedural shows, NCIS, CSI, or something... hot chick detective goes undercover as a lingerie model to catch a psycho. During a photo-shoot, some kind of crap goes down and she ends up chasing a baddie wearing a red teddy* (her, not the bad guy) and after busting through a door, reaches behind her back and produces a J frame-sized revolver... huh? Where was she hiding that?

*if you don't know what a teddy is, ask the wife, GF, or turn on incognito mode and Google it.

In terms of materials, I've found that an IWB holster with neoprene or some soft fabric backing feels alright if I can't tuck my shirt behind it. I don't think leather without a fabric back would work as well.

Also, I always look for a large back flap on the holster to protect my sides from rubbing against the pistol grip and prevent the hammer from poking.

HAAaaa... hammer poking. That's what SHE said...

Actually, she just rolled over and went to sleep. She refuses to acknowledge Yuma's Thunder Hammer... too bad for her. :s0094: aaand I'm out!

It's not that I'm afraid I'll wake her so much that I'm afraid I won't.

It's not that I'm afraid I'll wake her so much that I'm afraid I won't.
images-36.jpg
I think we've gotten slightly off topic... :)

It's the little things in life that count.o_O

That brings me to my opinion on holsters, I tend to be a minimalist, some of the popular IWB designs I've seen lately just add too much bulk and weight. Why carry a small light concealment pistol in a holster that weighs over half the weight of the pistol?

It's the little things in life that count.o_O

That brings me to my opinion on holsters, I tend to be a minimalist, some of the popular IWB designs I've seen lately just add too much bulk and weight. Why carry a small light concealment pistol in a holster that weighs over half the weight of the pistol?

When I can carry, I use an Alien Gear IWB leather holster with a HK VP9.

For warm weather I carry my old PPS .40 in a Blue Line Concealment IWB. The PPS M2 has a Vedder Light Tuck which I can also highly recommend. Both have adjustable cant, but the BLC holster places the clip off of the slide... like the G-Code Incog Eclipse (also highly recommended).

For a full-sized piece I'm partial to the Clinger No Print Wonder. I carry my P99 in it during colder months when I can conceal a bigger gun better.

For me, a full-sized sweat-guard option is mandatory, but I'm not so crazy about hybrids anymore. A "base layer", even in the summer (a wife-beater) has the same effect. Plus I've noticed that most hybrids will not allow my Euro-trash Walthers and HKs to flex their paddle mag releases on the off-chance that I need to insert a magazine while the gun is holstered.... it happens, but rarely. More of an administrative thing.

BTW, I've got Alien Gear stuff too. An older leather backer and a neoprene 2.0...it's good to go. It was just a lot of apparatus (I used it for big P-series SiGs) to deal with when carrying a small gun like the PPS, G43, XDS, etc. A single-point holster is great for small guns, but for a big gun two-point is the only thing that will keep it in place if you move around alot (the Clinger No Print Wonder is two-point... just sayin').

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads