JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hey guys! I've been reading this forum for a couple years, just haven't signed up before. We spent a lot of time, about $10,000 and a grand total of about 12 solid months of researching, building, testing, and redesigning to create the only full military power flamethrower that anyone is producing right now. The guys behind the X15 flamethrower actually bought a previous prototype of ours a few years ago and then copied a lot of the design and have sold $3 million dollars worth... Though theirs has the power of a toy basically, and ours matches and even exceeds the power of the M2 and M9 from the US military. We were pretty surprised to find out we triggered an industry, or that there was anyone else who would want a flamethrower hahaha.

My question is this – right now we only have one after selling the second on Gunbroker. Would anyone want one? (This is a question for feedback, we don't have any to sell!) We created a couple videos and made up a name (Apache Fluidics M2 M9 flamethrower) and web page that's not actually 'live', but we're not a company, we're just engineers and guys that think what we made is cool. The web page right now is just copied over from our current business, etc. We've only made two of these, plus several previous prototypes in all kinds of variations. We'd love for more people to get to try out the real deal if anyone would want us to make them - but I don't want to go broke if no one cares/everyone thinks it's stupid. It's a serious item, they don't make valves that handle over 200 psi and also flow over 15 gallons per minute. Nor do they make fittings for high pressure tanks with large orifices. Plus rotary unions are expensive, etc. So we spend about $3000 in parts and machining to make one- there's no joke in getting 45 gallons per minute at up to 750 psi. I'm an aerospace engineer, and this shares a ton in common with the liquid rocket engines we make (the flow rates and pressures are fully in that realm). That's why you won't see any else like this on YouTube unless they're a ($12,000) refurbished genuine M2 or M9 (which also have questionably corroded steel tanks). I think DeGroat or someone like that made a couple years back? I think I heard he sold them for like $8000? Anyway, here's one video we made on it:

(Obviously it's like sky diving, it will never be totally 'safe', so put that part aside. It's not for everyone, and you need a good, safe place to shoot it and safety gear. We've done everything to use very safe tanks, valves, pressure systems, etc. Which does make it heavy). Here's a pic:

Screenshot.jpg

So whatdya guys think? We could see them used for reenactments (painted, maybe with sparklers for ignition to take off the torch), for machine gun shoots and rentals, for fun, for attractions at cool events (like auto racing etc), for movies/props. Gun store owners could sell them in their shops and I'm sure people would come in just to stare at it. We came up with a less expensive one tank version too. Anyone who would actually buy one if we made them? We could make more, make some really cool videos (flamethrower skeet shooting and all kinds of interesting and entertaining stuff), but I don't want to go to the trouble and expense if no one would be interested. Is it too powerful and people just want a toy, more like the X15? Something that's more backyard friendly? It's alright if you hate it too, just please say why!

Just looking for opinions, we don't have any to sell (the website is just us jacking around)- don't want to try offering them if people think it's useless/ridiculous

(And again, first time poster, I get it – but just respectfully asking for feedback from a couple forums we trust and appreciate on a cool thing we made, NOT selling anything. Thanks for any opinions!)

Makes my 12ga seam like a sandblaster. I think you nailed the sales barricade as far as safe places to use it in conjunction with a somewhat limited customer base.

Best of luck with your endeavour and hopefully you get some good feedback. From the sounds of it you guys may end up coming up with a new high pressure valve system that ends up being a big $$ maker as a side effect.:)

Yeah, my 50 cal seems... alright now, lol. The rotary unions we made could be sold for sure, I'm not sure what else besides rocket engines needs a flow rate this high at that pressure for the valves!

That would be a really wacky way to clear the snow and ice from a driveway. :D

In all seriousness, looks neat. I don't know that I'd invest in one at some of the figures being thrown around, but I'd wager there is at least a niche market. I've seen a handful of folks in the NFA world own and play with them.

Have you ever seen WWII footage of what happens to the poor dude wearing one of those when the tanks get hit with a bullet or shrapnel? o_O

Let's just say yelling, "WEENIES!! BRING ME WEENIES AND MARSHMALLOWS!!" would make sense.... :confused:

Play with fire like that, get immolated and become "melt-man"... at best. o_O

Are they legal to carry in Portland ?

Kidding aside that's a cool peice of engineering. I doubt I would ever own one but wouldn't knock someone for having one. Seems like a liability nightmare from a business standpoint. But mabey I'm just paranoid. What's the worst that could happen ? :eek::D

Hahahaha, sounds like some of my relatives...
The whole exploding when getting shot thing is actually pure Hollywood. Ours is filled with CO2 which puts OUT flames, and the M2 and M9 were pressurized with nitrogen, which doesn't support flame. Plus if you've seen the Mythbusters Jaws episodes, if you shoot a pressure tank you just get a hole that sprays the compressed gas in a jet. So no explosion. Unless maybe you hit it with a rocket launcher... But then I think you have a bigger worry

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top