JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Very very good point,

I know myself, and coctailer have shot them enough to say they are not good in a SHTF situation. If i have supply lines and an ammo plant pumping out ammo, they yes they are great. Otherwise you are just wasting extremely valuable ammo.

In fact for those who think it would be valuable, meet me at the range some time and you can put a mag or two down range. it doesn't take much to realize you cannot control them well enough to hit anything.

Most people who have shot some of mine, ask "what should i aim at". I just tell them, the first round will be pretty close to where you aim, just try to hold on that. By round 5 they are usually halfway up the backstop.

Hey, my .22 ran about 95%.

But i dont think i saw a single .223 running right.

That is another great point though for SHTF. Full autos break all the time. Parts wear out fast.

Full auto would be fine, for a smaller community with a protection force that knows how to use it for fire and maneuver. With the resources to make their own ammo, and parts. But for a single guy running around the woods playing survivor man, you are just wasting resources that could be used better somewhere else.

Knowing a FA well enough is exspensive to say the least and the money could be better spent on other preperations. Tuneing the gun to the mags and numbering them so you know if it's a mag problem. Working on the feed system if it is double or single stack and knowing what is causeing the stoppage takes alot of learning (ammo).

I hope alot of guys do ruin their guns changeing them to full auto if they are my enemy, most guys can't run a coffee pot so full auto for them would make me feel safer:D:D:D

I can see a close up use for full auto in a good running machine but every tool has to be used for what it's made for.

jj

Originally Posted by soberups
SHTF isnt a video game.

I can see no benefit whatsoever to modifying a weapon to fire FA.

and so naturally, there isn't any.

i like your style.

To clarify my point;

The original question of this thread was..."how many would modify their guns to fire full auto".

I dont doubt that there are specific wartime or law-enforcement scenarios where FA is a benefit for trained people with the proper equipment.

But for the average person who is just trying to hunt and survive and protect his family and supplies from looters...modifying a semi-auto weapon to fire FA will not keep him any safer or afford him any advantage; all it will do is degrade the reliability of the weapon, waste ammo, and hinder accuracy.

I have an AK, an SKS and a 10/22. They all work and they are all reliable. I can see no benefit for me in trying to hack them up and modify them to go FA.

and real men dont need full auto.

mega1.jpg
LOLdog+-+Pew+Pew+Pew.jpg

FA is beneficial when operating as a squad.
One or 2 guys will lay down suppressing fire in a couple bursts while the rest of the guys move to firing position for actual kill shots.

It is mainly used to get the enemies head behind cover so they aren't firing on the guys moving to shooting position.

We were taught this way many years ago. It was called "fire and maneuver". I'm not sure if this is still a military doctrine in today's world.

What is needed is a consistent and intimidating base of fire. This can be achieved by semi-auto, but full auto is normally more effective.

Full auto has its place. But you need a firearm that is designed for full auto. The barrel has to be able to endure the sustained rate of fire and not melt. Preferably, the barrel should be easily replaceable during combat.

The design should also allow it to be controllable and reliable. Take the case of the M14. They tried a full auto version of it, but it was practically unusable. Or the full auto Beretta 92R pistol - again, practically useless.

:D:D:DIf we were only talking useing it on a limited temporary basis and short range I think a subgun would be a fine thing to have if it ran good. A good running subgun is really functional in a close range setting (indoors or out to 35 meters) On a total SHTF I still believe a Semi rifle is the better option.

jj

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads