JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
How come and why for has this story disappeared?

Oh come on. That stuff is old news. You need to be following the important stuff. The BBC reports "Prince William and Kate Middleton, due to marry on Friday, say they have been "incredibly moved" by the public's affection since their engagement."

I'm getting up at 1am to watch the various news channels covering this once in a life time event. . . It's getting more news coverage then the fed news conference or the fact our debt ceiling is reached...

I guess if we just forget about it someone else will deal with it.

Oh come on. That stuff is old news. You need to be following the important stuff. The BBC reports "Prince William and Kate Middleton, due to marry on Friday, say they have been "incredibly moved" by the public's affection since their engagement."

hahaha, yeah you folks need to get your priorities in order, this IS the news, not some piddly radiation leak.

I'm getting up at 1am to watch the various news channels covering this once in a life time event. . . It's getting more news coverage then the fed news conference or the fact our debt ceiling is reached...

I guess if we just forget about it someone else will deal with it.

You thinking about taping it? this is history you know.

its pretty much contained at this point, and Americans would much rather move on to other, less unpleasant topics... like the wondrous royal wedding.

puke-01.jpg

for daily, often hourly update news on the fukushima disaster, <broken link removed>

Yeah some prince or someone is getting married? Right?
Earthquake? when was that?

All you have to do is watch TV ,not even listen to it BTW,and see that society's attention span is getting very short.
The camera shot change every nano second.It drives me crazy.
So what happened last month is just old news,rather it will effect the world for a million year half life or not.

Yeah some prince or someone is getting married? Right?
Earthquake? when was that?

All you have to do is watch TV ,not even listen to it BTW,and see that society's attention span is getting very short.
The camera shot change every nano second.It drives me crazy.
So what happened last month is just old news,rather it will effect the world for a million year half life or not.
The scary part of this whole mess is if you ask those people, they will gladly tell you how well informed they are,...
'Cuz they get updates on their "smart" phone. Which just happens to be smarter than they are.

Glad its not at the forefront. We dont need to give the nutjobs over "here"anything more to get tweaked out on than they already have. Japan... Consequences... HEre? Not so much. Its a shame that the humanitarian aspect of the Japan incident was overshadowed by all the morons over here freaking out filling their candy dishes with KI tabs and all the other ridcule tht was happening. Japan +5... USA tinfoil hat waririors -2

Glad its not at the forefront. We dont need to give the nutjobs over "here"anything more to get tweaked out on than they already have. Japan... Consequences... HEre? Not so much. Its a shame that the humanitarian aspect of the Japan incident was overshadowed by all the morons over here freaking out filling their candy dishes with KI tabs and all the other ridcule tht was happening. Japan +5... USA tinfoil hat waririors -2

Because of the cumulative effect, this subject should be on the forefront...but not for the simple reaction of taking iodine.

The lack of information from this country is a serious problem. They can't do anything about it anyway, so why not keep the public continuing to work and spend and provide revenue?

The early reports were on the first wave of radioactive particles arriving at the west coast. Sure, the numbers were low and the media basically said there was no problem (although Obama stated no problem, and the Surgeon general said iodine would be a good idea, and the EPA quietly wants to raise the action levels for radiation contamination...clear message, huh?), but the cumulative effects of the particles is not being reported here. I have to go to a German website to see atmospheric modeling and reported concentrations. With the expected containment of radioactive particles estimated as being AFTER the first of the year, the effects of concentration will be a very important factor.

Taking iodine will only help against radioactive iodine (which has reportedly already circled the globe). Taking bone meal or calcium supplements may slow the uptake of cesium. But there is also radioactive Xenon that has already circled the globe at least three times, as well as the possibility of (or non-reporting of) uranium, plutonium, nickel and other isotopes. I read where some European countries have warned the people to be wary of milk and leafy green vegetables, but not much coming from this country.

Anyone putting KI tablets in their candy dish should be warned that they will decompose faster that way...keep them in an air-tight bottle.

My personal opinion is that they may have killed us - we may be walking around for a few more years yet, but the damage is ongoing. Ask yourself a few simple questions.

Why did the EPA/FDA suddenly raise the allowable contamination limits immediately following the Fukushima disaster?

Why are all government sources of radiation monitoring in the US and Canada "off-line"?

Why the sudden plethora of units of measure? Used to be REM (Roentgen Equivalent, Mammal) - an easily understood standard, with a long history of research into biological damage caused by ionizing radiation. Now I hear things like "tiny" and "minuscule" and "below allowable EPA limits" - but no real quantifiable measurements.

Why does Canada refuse to test any food items for radioactive contamination?

On a personal note, I cancelled my milk delivery the other day (shame - great service) and explained to them that I was concerned about contamination. In their reply, they referred to the offical party line that any contamination was below allowable FDA limits, and that any exposure could be likened to a cross-country flight. I have two problems with that answer. 1) They did not deny that their dairy products were contaminated. 2) Any reasonable human being who looks into it will realize that internal contamination is the issue. Various radioactive elements have an affinity for different parts of the body. The contamination is long term (lifetime) and cumulative (increasing over time).

In closing - the contamination blowing across the northern hemisphere is increasing. There is no plan to get the situation under control. The plan seems to be cover up the situation, and maybe no-one will notice. I am concerned about the contamination in our food supply and drinking water.

Before you nuclear engineers start jumping in to say how wonderful everything is, and how the situation is well under control, please undertand that I spent a large portion of my life living, sleeping, and working within a few hundred feet of a nuclear reactor. I have been thoroughly trained, and in turn trained many others in nuclear accident response. I am deeply concerned about this situation.

Before you nuclear engineers start jumping in to say how wonderful everything is, and how the situation is well under control, please undertand that I spent a large portion of my life living, sleeping, and working within a few hundred feet of a nuclear reactor. I have been thoroughly trained, and in turn trained many others in nuclear accident response. I am deeply concerned about this situation.

let's have the credentials, then. you can't make the statement that we're all going to die, supported by the above quote, and not qualify yourself.

---

i actually don't care what credentials you'll say you have (though i doubt you have any to be making and spreading the single most over-dramatic statement i've ever seen posted on an internet gun forum)- the fukushima disaster doesn't even begin to the scratch the surface in relation to all the CONUS and Pacific nuclear testing we did with SIGNIFICANTLY more radioactive, significantly more harmful, and with exponentially longer half-life (anyone ever heard of plutonium?) material.

i suggest reading more peer-review, and less tin-foil hat publications.

I read it again - I don't see the drama. Any answers to what I consider to be reasonable questions? I'd be happy to go back to watching DWTS... Any part of what I said not factual? Always happy to admit error if there is any. Credentials sent via PM - believe it or don't.

Maybe inappropriate comments for a gun forum, but the section is titled survival and preparedness. It seems very strange to me that there is not more open discussion on subjects like fukushima and the GOM oil disaster.

As I understand it, there IS plutonium involved bkb. In the MOX used in #3, as well as in the fuel rods that are supposed to be cooling in #4. They were removed from containment as recently as December, '10. They'd barely had a chance to cool when the quake/tsunami/explosion fractured the cooling pool, draining the coolant, and the rods began to burn, before being flooded with water and later boron.

From what I hear there is a greater potential threat from these fuel rods in an inadequate cooling pool than from those that were scrammed in the reactor containment. Even if the containment is marginalized.
If the rods in the cooling pool get to critical again things could get REAL bad REAL fast. They came VERY close (and some say already did) in the days immediately following the disaster, so never say never.

As I understand it, there IS plutonium involved bkb. In the MOX used in #3, as well as in the fuel rods that are supposed to be cooling in #4. They were removed from containment as recently as December, '10. They'd barely had a chance to cool when the quake/tsunami/explosion fractured the cooling pool, draining the coolant, and the rods began to burn, before being flooded with water and later boron.

From what I hear there is a greater potential threat from these fuel rods in an inadequate cooling pool than from those that were scrammed in the reactor containment. Even if the containment is marginalized.
If the rods in the cooling pool get to critical again things could get REAL bad REAL fast. They came VERY close (and some say already did) in the days immediately following the disaster, so never say never.

yes, unit three is a MOX reactor- but there's a gigantic difference between smoke from a pile of burning spend fuel rods and actually detonating plutonium into the upper atmosphere. what people seem to forget is that no matter how bad things get at fukushima, there have been no excursions, and even if there was a major excursion, it wouldn't be but a fraction of a percent of the projection of a plutonium-based bomb detonation. we've all survived hundreds of super-terranious plutonium-based detonations so far- one little plutonium fire on the other side of the world will NOT kill us all.

yes, unit three is a MOX reactor- but there's a gigantic difference between smoke from a pile of burning spend fuel rods and actually detonating plutonium into the upper atmosphere. what people seem to forget is that no matter how bad things get at fukushima, there have been no excursions, and even if there was a major excursion, it wouldn't be but a fraction of a percent of the projection of a plutonium-based bomb detonation. we've all survived hundreds of super-terranious plutonium-based detonations so far- one little plutonium fire on the other side of the world will NOT kill us all.

BKB you're entitled to your opinion, however, I respectfully dissagree. We did not survive the nuclear detonations you are referring to.
The cancer rate in this country has jumped not just because there's 300+ million people now over the population at the turn of the 20th century, but because of the contaminants from polutants, pesticides and yes, radiation exposure. Not to be melodramatic but we are the walking dead. You may not keel over tomorrow or next week but the reaper is swinging.
Sasquatchvnv is right. We are not being informed.
I remember Obama saying a month ago that the fallout would not reach the US. Really!!!? So they blacked out the monitoring systems so we couldn't tell.
We all come to the reality table with how much we think we can swallow. Some of us just can't deal with a screw up of this magnitude.
Be well all,
Will

Well I haven't read the last page,but let a layman tell y'all what's the real story.

The radiation escaped,right? We ARE in fact down wind.The wind blows from Japan to here on a daily basis.Well we do get some wind from Alaska,now and then.

We will get radiation from Japan. Radiation isn't good for humans.

We don't have much choice in this matter.The winds regulate where the radiation goes.

Where are you going to go to avoid it? What should our government do about it,as it is a little too late.

All we can do now is live with this situation.

The stress worrying about it will kill you faster than the radiation.

It is what it is.There is very little we can do about it now,except make sure it doesn't happen again.

BKB you're entitled to your opinion, however, I respectfully dissagree. We did not survive the nuclear detonations you are referring to.
The cancer rate in this country has jumped not just because there's 300+ million people now over the population at the turn of the 20th century, but because of the contaminants from polutants, pesticides and yes, radiation exposure. Not to be melodramatic but we are the walking dead. You may not keel over tomorrow or next week but the reaper is swinging.
Sasquatchvnv is right. We are not being informed.
I remember Obama saying a month ago that the fallout would not reach the US. Really!!!? So they blacked out the monitoring systems so we couldn't tell.
We all come to the reality table with how much we think we can swallow. Some of us just can't deal with a screw up of this magnitude.
Be well all,
Will
That walking dead comment is rather misleading and pretty baseless IMO. You sound like someone that is stuck in their bunker and paranoid beyond belief. Yes there is all that bad cr@p rolling around out there, but to call everyone walking dead is rather ridiculous. From the moment we are born we are all dying. And frankly we will all die at some point in our lives. Even if we could religiously monitor the "fallout" what good would it do? Its not like we can stop it from happening. CAn we educate people? Seriously doubt it. Some might listen. and <broken link removed> is some data from OR. I am not so concerned

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top