Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

FTF with Hornaday Critical Defense rounds

Discussion in 'Handgun Discussion' started by JRH Oregon, Feb 17, 2014.

1. JRH Oregon

JRH Oregon Oregon Active Member

Went out shooting this weekend and figured I should run a few mags of the critical defense rounds through my G27 because that is what I was carrying. Well I am glad I tested them out before I had to use them. Every other round would catch the plastic tip as it was feeding in and would flip the round upside down, the slide would then close on it with the back side of the bullet sticking out of the top of the slide. After inspecting the round, I noticed the plastic tip had a big gash in it each time. Has this happened to anyone else with these rounds? I am now looking for suggestions on other JHP rounds that do not have the plastic tips. I have a box of PMC Bronze JHP that don't have the plastic tips, but I didn't have them with me to test yesterday. Kind of frustrating as this pistol has never had one FTF or FTE and I have shot lots of different ammo out of it. I ran another 4-5 mags of ball ammo afterwards and everything was fine as usual. Just goes to show you that you need to test any round that you plan on carrying BEFORE you carry it.

So my questions are:
    Has anyone else had a problem with the Critical defense rounds?
    What JHP do you carry that doesn't have the plastic tip?

2. Skang

Skang WA Well-Known Member

yes, it is very important to test the ammo.

my vote goes to federal HST.

3. rick49

rick49 Lewis Well-Known Member

Golden Saber

4. JSJPDX

JSJPDX East Portland Gold Supporter Gold Supporter

Have run Critical Defense through my Colt 1911 in .45 and 9mm through my Taurus Slim and CZ75 without any problems.

5. gunfreak

gunfreak Boise Well-Known Member

I carry these, 40S&W Corbon DPX 140 grain. These always feed in whatever pistol I choose.
    Shot into wet newspaper they still weighed 140gr and diameter was 13/16".

th.jpg

Sgt Nambu and (deleted member) like this.
  6. JRH Oregon

Looks like I have a few rounds to go and test now.

7. dogbitekid

dogbitekid CDA, Idaho New Member

I carry Winchester Ranger ammo ( these use to be called Black Talon ) they changed the name and lost the black coating on the bullet, But it still has the same result and functions great thru my Glock 23. they can be had thru some on line suppliers as log as your state does not restrict buying ammo on line.

8. deadeye

deadeye Albany,OR. Moderator Staff Member

I have a feeling you may need something that better resembles a standard bullet due to the size (compact) of the handgun. Have you read the manual for ammo suggestions? It may be similar to say a Kimber ultra that they recommend ball ammo for proper feeding.

If you like the critical defense just try it without the plastic if this is what you feel is causing the issue.........

Hornady Manufacturing Company :: Ammunition :: Handgun :: Choose by Caliber :: 40 S&W :: 40 S&W 155 gr XTP®

Hornady Manufacturing Company :: Ammunition :: Handgun :: Choose by Caliber :: 40 S&W :: 40 S&W 180 gr XTP®

9. glockman99

glockman99 Hoquiam, WA. Active Member

I run Critical Duty in my Glock 20SF (10mm), with NO problems. Maybe you have a bad magazine?

10. JRH Oregon

Happened with both of my 9rd mags.

11. JRH Oregon

This was in a G27 completely stock running .40cal. I had a new box and a box that was 5-6 years old and all of the rounds did the same thing.

Just curious what others are running in their G27, and if you have done testing with that round.

12. RK600

RK600 SW WA Active Member

13. NavyBob

NavyBob michigan Active Member

Try an experiment and nip off the plastic tip. See if it makes a difference.

JRH Oregon and (deleted member) like this.
  14. oli700

oli700 Rogue Valley Well-Known Member

Here some I recovered recently incase how they open up matters to you….Critical Defence are at the bottom of my list even before this but my daughter bought them for my birthday one year, good kid

Left to right 10mm auto 180gr Gold Dot 180gr Hornady XTP
    IMG_1965_zps318271b9.jpg
    IMG_1968_zps4a3aee04.jpg

Left to right 9mm 115gr Hornady Critical Defense, 124gr Remington Golden Saber +p, 124gr Federal HST +p.
    IMG_1961_zpsededea18.jpg

IMG_1963_zpsef814d8f.jpg

206thsense, JRH Oregon, Rotty and 3 others like this.
  15. DieselScout

DieselScout S Clackamas County Well-Known Member

I've been running Hornady Critical Defense in my FNX-40 and it seems to run fine, I have had 0 problems with it. Glock is loaded Federal HST3, again eats it all day long. Come to think of it I've never shot an ammunition out of either that I had problem with.

16. Oklahomie

Oklahomie Marysville Active Member

I've noticed that Critical Defense has a sharp slope to it in 9mm but I used it in both my g17 and xd45 with out issue.

If I were to carry again it would probably be HST those things look nasty.

17. 156256Hunter

156256Hunter Fairview-ish Active Member

Sounds like that might turn it into a Hornady XTP bullet.

18. Beta1759

Beta1759 Beaverton Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

i have had issues with testing different JHP carry rounds in my kimber 1911. the bullets would jam into the ramp and mess everything up. I was able to resolve the issue by applying some metal polish to the ramp and buffing it with a q-tip. didnt have an issue after that.

19. hondakilla98

hondakilla98 beaverton, or Active Member

If you want a round with a filled hollow point to prevent clogging when shooting through a barrier or heavy clothing. Maybe Corbon PoweRBall would be a better choice It has a more standard rounded profile instead of the flat sloped sides on the Hornady.

20. Derbel McDillet

Derbel McDillet Kitsap County, WA Member

There are better loads available than Hornady Critical Defense and Critical Duty. Hornady has been successful in convincing the uninformed that modern conventional JHP bullets clog with cloth and fail to expand - and these folks are willing to overspend for mediocre Hornady ammo.

I suggest you consider loads listed in the following link for self-defense: Service Caliber Handgun Duty and Self-Defense Ammo

Good luck!