Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

FTF with CPL and out of state DL

Discussion in 'Legal & Political Archive' started by DBake, Dec 5, 2009.

1. DBake

DBake WA Member

Is it legal to do a face to face transfer with someone that has a in state CPL and out of state DL + passport?

2. PhysicsGuy

PhysicsGuy Corvallis, OR Resident Science Nut

Well it depends on where they actually reside. That is what is important, since you can get a CHL from another state that you dont actually live in, I would personally go by their DL for their residence. (although there are a couple military exemptions)

3. EWW

EWW Tacoma, WA New Member

I sent this via PM but thought this would benefit the whole board.

FWIW my CPL was issued 6/1/09 with WA state residency listed.

According to WA state law it doesn't matter if I am a resident or not (or even a resident with an out of state DL).

from WA state website:
    So it doesn't matter that I have an out of state DL. WA law allows the sale of firearms to nonresidents, so the fact that I have an out of state DL is a moot point.

Additionally, if you read the WA state Private Disposition/Transfer form http://www.dol.wa.gov/forms/652004.pdf it clearly states that documentation of ID can be issued by another state.

If you are planning to do a FTF transfer you should really know the law on both ends of the transaction, otherwise you should do the peer to peer transfer at an FFL so you don't have to worry about the legalities. I'm passing on the transaction.

4. PhysicsGuy

I dont know how many times I have to say this..

You CANNOT transfer any firearm FTF across state lines. PERIOD

It doesnt matter what the WA law states, it is trumped by the federal statute;

5. DBake

DBake WA Member

Thank you.

6. Cougfan2

Cougfan2 Hillsboro, OR Well-Known Member

I dont know how many times I have to say this..

You CANNOT transfer any firearm FTF across state lines. PERIOD

It doesnt matter what the WA law states, it is trumped by the federal statute;

Apparently once more! :laugh: Not pounding on you DBake. It's a legitimate question. It's just that it's be answered many times here.

7. DBake

DBake WA Member

I agree, but the guy asking about my pistol said he had a in state CPL and out of state DL and has done FTF transfer before in this state. I haven't heard of that so I thought ask since I didn't know, isn't that how we all learn?

8. PhysicsGuy

Well it becomes tricky, but it really depends on where someones actual "residence" is.

9. Torqk911

Torqk911 Yacolt,Wa Member

Okay, I mean maybe I don't understand all of this but I do understand that Oregon and Washington State level have different laws, and see where it gets confusing on a Federal Level. I am not trying to raise arguments but this below is a prime example of what I have personally witnessed on several occasions.

For example, a Washington State resident cant cross over into Oregon and by a Firearm with out transferring it to a local FFL. But, a Oregon resident can walk to lets say a Bi-Mart in Washington make a purchase with Oregon DL and walk out with a gun and take it back to Oregon.

Can someone help explain this to me? :confused:

10. DBake

DBake WA Member

I think you meant, "But, a Washington resident..."

But that is for rifles and shotguns only not handguns. From stores only not individual people.

11. PhysicsGuy

You cant cross the state lines to do a FTF, but you can buy a long gun (rifle or shotgun) from a Washington FFL, or Washington residents can go to Oregon and buy a rifle/shotgun from an Oregon FFL, this is allowed. Handguns must be from an in state FFL.

12. Torqk911

Torqk911 Yacolt,Wa Member

Gotcha, that does clear up my confusion. Thanks!

13. Randini

Randini Salem Member

Sounds as if all the transients are out of luck then, I know many people that have no DL.