JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Well it depends on where they actually reside. That is what is important, since you can get a CHL from another state that you dont actually live in, I would personally go by their DL for their residence. (although there are a couple military exemptions)

I sent this via PM but thought this would benefit the whole board.

FWIW my CPL was issued 6/1/09 with WA state residency listed.

According to WA state law it doesn't matter if I am a resident or not (or even a resident with an out of state DL).

from WA state website:
RCW 9.41.124
Purchasing by nonresidents.

Residents of a state other than Washington may purchase rifles and shotguns in Washington: PROVIDED, That such residents conform to the applicable provisions of the federal Gun Control Act of 1968, Title IV, Pub. L. 90-351 as administered by the United States secretary of the treasury: AND PROVIDED FURTHER, That such residents are eligible to purchase or possess such weapons in Washington and in the state in which such persons reside.

So it doesn't matter that I have an out of state DL. WA law allows the sale of firearms to nonresidents, so the fact that I have an out of state DL is a moot point.

Additionally, if you read the WA state Private Disposition/Transfer form http://www.dol.wa.gov/forms/652004.pdf it clearly states that documentation of ID can be issued by another state.

If you are planning to do a FTF transfer you should really know the law on both ends of the transaction, otherwise you should do the peer to peer transfer at an FFL so you don't have to worry about the legalities. I'm passing on the transaction.

I

According to WA state law it doesn't matter if I am a resident or not (or even a resident with an out of state DL).

So it doesn't matter that I have an out of state DL. WA law allows the sale of firearms to nonresidents, so the fact that I have an out of state DL is a moot point.

I dont know how many times I have to say this..

You CANNOT transfer any firearm FTF across state lines. PERIOD

It doesnt matter what the WA law states, it is trumped by the federal statute;

§ 178.29 Out-of-State acquisition of
firearms by nonlicensees.

No person, other than a licensed importer,
licensed manufacturer, licensed
dealer, or licensed collector, shall
transport into or receive in the State
where the person resides (or if a corporation
or other business entity,
where it maintains a place of business)
any firearm purchased or otherwise obtained
by such person outside that
State: Provided, That the provisions of
this section:
(a) Shall not preclude any person who
lawfully acquires a firearm by bequest
or intestate succession in a State other
than his State of residence from transporting
the firearm into or receiving it
in that State, if it is lawful for such
person to purchase or possess such firearm
in that State,
(b) Shall not apply to the transportation
or receipt of a rifle or shotgun
obtained from a licensed manufacturer,
licensed importer, licensed dealer, or
licensed collector in a State other than
the transferee’s State of residence in
an over-the-counter transaction at the
licensee’s premises obtained in conformity
with the provisions of
§ 178.96(c) and
(c) Shall not apply to the transportation
or receipt of a firearm obtained
in conformity with the provisions of
§§ 178.30 and 178.97.
[T.D. ATF–270, 53 FR 10493, Mar. 31, 1988]

Apparently once more! :s0114: Not pounding on you DBake. It's a legitimate question. It's just that it's be answered many times here.

Apparently once more! :s0114: Not pounding on you DBake. It's a legitimate question. It's just that it's be answered many times here.

I agree, but the guy asking about my pistol said he had a in state CPL and out of state DL and has done FTF transfer before in this state. I haven't heard of that so I thought ask since I didn't know, isn't that how we all learn?

I agree, but the guy asking about my pistol said he had a in state CPL and out of state DL and has done FTF transfer before in this state. I haven't heard of that so I thought ask since I didn't know, isn't that how we all learn?

Well it becomes tricky, but it really depends on where someones actual "residence" is.

Okay, I mean maybe I don't understand all of this but I do understand that Oregon and Washington State level have different laws, and see where it gets confusing on a Federal Level. I am not trying to raise arguments but this below is a prime example of what I have personally witnessed on several occasions.

For example, a Washington State resident cant cross over into Oregon and by a Firearm with out transferring it to a local FFL. But, a Oregon resident can walk to lets say a Bi-Mart in Washington make a purchase with Oregon DL and walk out with a gun and take it back to Oregon.

Can someone help explain this to me? :confused:

Okay, I mean maybe I don't understand all of this but I do understand that Oregon and Washington State level have different laws, and see where it gets confusing on a Federal Level. I am not trying to raise arguments but this below is a prime example of what I have personally witnessed on several occasions.

For example, a Washington State resident cant cross over into Oregon and by a Firearm with out transferring it to a local FFL. But, a Oregon resident can walk to lets say a Bi-Mart in Washington make a purchase with Oregon DL and walk out with a gun and take it back to Oregon.

I think you meant, "But, a Washington resident..."

But that is for rifles and shotguns only not handguns. From stores only not individual people.

You cant cross the state lines to do a FTF, but you can buy a long gun (rifle or shotgun) from a Washington FFL, or Washington residents can go to Oregon and buy a rifle/shotgun from an Oregon FFL, this is allowed. Handguns must be from an in state FFL.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews