JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I can't remember who it was but one of the members here drove to my house for a FTF and called the state police to see if the handgun I was selling had been reported stolen. I was on my lunch break standing there in my f-ing corrections uniform. Jesus Christ!

Whoever did that deserved a kick in the nuts.

I can't remember who it was but one of the members here drove to my house for a FTF and called the state police to see if the handgun I was selling had been reported stolen. I was on my lunch break standing there in my f-ing corrections uniform. Jesus Christ!

And the problem was? He has a right to call and he did.

Every firearm transaction I've made in 40 yrs has been made under a detailed bill of sale,
with verification of a drivers' license (both sides), and carry permit. The only times the
ID information was not exchanged was when the individuals were known to me for 10+ yrs.

The buyer needn't purchase from me (or contact me) because these stipulations are made
clear at first contact. I've never had a seller refuse to exchange ID information.

this is only my opinion but

if i'm a buyer and you want to glance at my drivers licence or my CHL I'm ok with that even without pryor notice BUT if you want to keep records on me or take a pic of my id with your phone then it better be in your ad. I'm not interested in a stranger having my address if that was the case then I wouldn't be meeting in some random parking lot.

As a seller I'd like your full name and drivers licence number with a quick age check if nessisary, if the cops come to me and they found it at a specific crime scene i'd give them your info, if I caught wind of a gun grab your info is hitting the shredder

Each of us must decide what level of verification to ask for. Personally, I ask to look at their ID and verify in-state residency and ask if they can legally own a firearm. I have had people ask twice take pics of my ID with their cell phone -- I flaty refuse that -- cell phones are highly insecure. If they must, I will allow them to write down my info and I am even open to bill-of-sale if this is stated in the ad; otherwise I feel this is poor form to ask for BOS only when making the transaction. Set expectations in the ad/early contact and save each other misunderstandings and head aches.

Cheers,
DJM

I simply follow the law. No ID, No calling in, No BOS, No BS.

There is NOTHING you can check to be 100% sure the sale is legit. If the sale feels funny walk.............

When/if someone comes knocking at the door about a gun I sold the answer is "I sold it" and there is a 99.9999999% chance you will not even be a suspect.

i suppose the person is just being careful, but other than that i'm at a loss for words.

i greatly appreciate the feedback on this thread. it is comforting to know that my opinion & response to the potential buyer shows a commonality with others on this forum. i suppose the buyer and myself each "walked away," as he didn't pressure me after he "flipped out." it still bugs me, however, that someone would act in such a way towards a seller who is just following (at least) part of the optional standards for a ftf. thinking deeper about his response, he mentioned that he "has lived in oregon 40 years, has oregon plates, and a chl." if id was a problem, but his plates and chl are oregon, then why not (at least) offer to show me the chl? (although i still wouldn't have proceeded without id.)

i greatly appreciate the feedback on this thread. it is comforting to know that my opinion & response to the potential buyer shows a commonality with others on this forum. i suppose the buyer and myself each "walked away," as he didn't pressure me after he "flipped out." it still bugs me, however, that someone would act in such a way towards a seller who is just following (at least) part of the optional standards for a ftf. thinking deeper about his response, he mentioned that he "has lived in oregon 40 years, has oregon plates, and a chl." if id was a problem, but his plates and chl are oregon, then why not (at least) offer to show me the chl? (although i still wouldn't have proceeded without id.)

I wouldn't care what the guy SAYS. He can say anything and that doesn't make it true. Even if I was fairly confident that he was probably legal to sell to I wouldn't simply because of the way you say he reacted. That ain't normal. Sounds a little unhinged to me. For someone like that, even if he is legal I won't be selling him a gun.

I wouldn't care what the guy SAYS. He can say anything and that doesn't make it true. Even if I was fairly confident that he was probably legal to sell to I wouldn't simply because of the way you say he reacted. That ain't normal. Sounds a little unhinged to me. For someone like that, even if he is legal I won't be selling him a gun.

i'm guessing the guy wasn't legal, or is on the verge of being labeled "not allowed to own/purchase firearms" (given his apparently unstable posture). as preface, i'm not a stalker, but after his response i entered his email addy into google. nothing came up. i then only entered his email user name (without the "[insertmailaddy].com"). it had nothing for the exact username, but google decided to give me "potential/close" matches. it came up with idaho football links. he wanted to meet me at government camp, originally. i bet he was from idaho.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top