JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I realize this may be a "touchy subject," but there is a tremendous problem with participants in FTF transactions. What I emphasize here is residency verification through quick glances of state IDs. Don't get me wrong, I understand and feel for both sides of the argument: (1) privacy rights, ID checks are intrusions, etc.; (2) pure legality. I am relatively young (30). I wasn't around prior to the crazy gun law legislation, but I'm imaginative and understand how unreal the present situation is (background checks, restriction on FTF to resident state, etc.). On the flip-side, to those who "poo-poo" requests for quick ID checks: I don't want to "frak" up and find myself in prison. For the most part, participants in a FTF transfer do not know each other personally. While both parties seek "trust" in the transaction, those who "poo-poo" residency concerns (while I feel for you) need to realize that the seller/buyer is not asking for a background check or a "bill of sale." To appease residency concerns in a FTF transaction isn't the end of the world; it ensures each party is safe. Furthermore, to work together and to ensure the residency of both parties means we give "big brother" little to no "ammunition" (at least with this issue) with which to fight gun ownership.

This isn't meant to be a political speech. Rather, I've had great difficulty in selling firearms in a timely fashion, because for every FTF buyer who legally qualifies I have to deal with 1 out-of-state buyer looking to trick me/convince me to a FTF, or 1 privacy advocate who belittles my request for ID--my request for self-preservation.

Am I too harsh? Thoughts/comments?

i dont have a problem showing id to prove residency, i do have a bit of a problem with someone copying all the info on my id. as far as i am concerned a quick check of the other persons id should be all that is required. a bill of sale if one party or the other thinks it is needed is ok by me.

A check of the id and asking if they're still a resident of that state and can legally own a firearm is all that's really necessary.

I never ask for ID, mostly because I dont think about it. If they look young then Id ask.
If someone asks for mine I gladly show them my ODL or CHL. I dont care with the internet they can figure out a whole lot more than matter to me .

I don't see what the big deal is. I ask for a bill of sale sometimes and sometimes I don't. I don't have a problem signing a bill of sale either. At the very least I ask to see a valid Oregon drivers license and preferrably a CHL. If someone isn't willing to provide either I won't do business with them, but I've never had that happen.

If someone gave me some BS about not providing ID because it's a privacy issue, I would be very suspicious and likely tell them to go pizz up a rope.

There was just another thread about "what happens if I sell somebody a gun and something bad happens..."
I posted that all you can do is follow the law and have a paper trail to prove it. To that end, I think the buyer should provide the seller with a bill of sale including his DL #. The seller should provide the buyer with a receipt including the weapon serial #.

Trust but verify.

Personally, I want a record of having disposed of a firearm should it turn up latter under unpleasant circumstances. CYA and the simple reality that I don't want somebody I don't know coming into my home and I am not about to do transactions in a parking lot. To that end, I put them on consignment at a gun shop.

To place my rant into context: until an hour ago, I was working out the meet up details for a FTF sale of an SKS. When the potential buyer and myself worked out the fine details to where the sale was inevitable (final price, place to meet as the seller was coming from a great distance), I thought to go over all aspects of the sale procedure prior to our meet. I mentioned that I accept a lower price in exchange for a meet location closer to Portland. I then politely asked for us to also glance at/quickly exchange/etc. our state IDs. I wasn't asking for a bill of sale, or a background check; it wasn't as though I was going to photograph or copy down the buyer's info. I just wanted to see the word "Oregon" and the holographic film on an ID. I only wanted further assurance that we were both residents (one would think the buyer would want also certainty of my residency). The buyer "blew up" in the response email, stating that if he wanted someone to look at his ID, he would purchase the rifle from a gun shop. I can empathize with that position, but it isn't as though we're proceeding with a FTF over a computer, car, bag of oranges, etc. To the State and Federal governments, we're "bad people" exchanging a "dangerous good." The last thing I want is to lose everything in my life (house, wife, career) over the sale of a rifle.

Jefe, If I were you I would run away fast from a guy that blew up when I asked just to see ID. Can't know for sure, but I would be suspicious that he either isn't a resident of your state or can't legally own firearms.

ATF Online - Firearms - Frequently Asked Questions - Unlicensed Persons

Q: To whom may an unlicensed person transfer firearms under the GCA?
A person may sell a firearm to an unlicensed resident of his State, if he does not know or have reasonable cause to believe the person is prohibited from receiving or possessing firearms under Federal law. A person may loan or rent a firearm to a resident of any State for temporary use for lawful sporting purposes, if he does not know or have reasonable cause to believe the person is prohibited from receiving or possessing firearms under Federal law. A person may sell or transfer a firearm to a licensee in any State. However, a firearm other than a curio or relic may not be transferred interstate to a licensed collector.

[18 U.S.C. 922(a)(3) and (5), 922(d), 27 CFR 478.29 and 478.30]

So I have a gun for sale. Guy says he wants it. We meet and I dont have a bad feeling about the deal. What "reasonable cause" do I have to believe there is a problem? Now being that you live in a boarder state I would look at the plates on the car the person shows up in. If they are in state then I would have no "reasonable cause" they are not from in state.

Resident aliens can own guns.....

As to the OP....ya....walk away....I've bought/sold my fair share over the last 10 years of internetting ( is that a word? ), only once have I backed out due to other person giving me a scketchy vibe...all I ask is to glance at their ID to make sure we reside in the same state, shake hands and get on my way.

Up here we just worry if they say eh all the time. Otherwise cash is king. Well I did tell the 4yo to go get his big brother.
We have so many back woods people here,looks aren't much of a determination,you just have to use that 6th sense and hope the buyer isn't just become a bad guy.
ID doesn't tell you what the guy has done in the last 24hrs.And there is no obligation to get any ID or bill of sale.
Where does it say that you have to ask the buyer if the are a felon,or otherwise not able to own a firearm?
I believe it only says something about if you knowingly sell to someone who can't buy a firearm.

For down there,I would just ask for ID and if they said no,tell them to pi$$ up a rope? lol love that one

When selling firearms,you should always do what YOU feel is best.If the other guy has a problem with that,then too bad.Sell to someone else. But do what you feel is best.Don't argue,just say we are done here.
I do it the way I want,but will most likely conform to most conditions if the seller seems straight and the gun is what I really want.
If you never sell or buy,then you may need to change your standards

I can't remember who it was but one of the members here drove to my house for a FTF and called the state police to see if the handgun I was selling had been reported stolen. I was on my lunch break standing there in my f-ing corrections uniform. Jesus Christ!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top