JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Been thinking. Scary.

This is not to argue 941, as I'm out of breath. 941 is a given. Also it's not to argue bypassing 941. If a feller is gonna continue FTF, business as usual, you have my encouragement and support.

But...For the folks that will abide by SB-941, for the sake of discussion, and this would apply to long arms only...

If there was a private sale within a reasonable distance of the OR/WA border, and both parties were adhering to 941, why would these folks not take the trade to a Washington FFL for the transfer, and not have to pay the Oregon background check fee? Yes, you'd still give the FFL his little commission, but it would save the ten-dollar background check fee, and keep that money out of Salem.

WAYNO.

.... and keep the transfer out of the Oregon State firearms database that the OSP have been compiling. Oh, wait. They're not really doing that.

Last Edited:
I'm an FFL here in Vancouver. I do these transfers all the time. While I wholeheartedly disagree with the new law, I still have to follow the law. I tell people it's cheap insurance even though I've had plenty of police and lawyers tell me there's almost no way to enforce it under normal circumstances. And no, no taxes to OR residents.

I sell on gun brokers and ship the gun to another state at the buyers cost. I check the FFL out they give me to ship to so it's all legal under the laws. I haven't bought any guns since 941 came into full effect and probably wont. I will boycott oregon until sanity comes back to our government.

Well I did it. Today I drove to Vancouver, bought a rifle from Bi-Mart, paid no background check fee, and since I'm an Oregon resident, paid no sales tax.:D

WAYNO.

Well I did it. Today I drove to Vancouver, bought a rifle from Bi-Mart, paid no background check fee, and since I'm an Oregon resident, paid no sales tax.:D

WAYNO.

That's awesome! Stick it to the rats in Salem! I need to get familiar with the gun stores up in Vancouver!!!

Just so I'm clear, as long as it's a long gun or shotgun, an OR resident can buy from either a WA private party (through an FFL obviously) or from a local FFL, like BiMart, with no BGC fee and just the transfer fee if it's a private sale?

I'm an FFL here in Vancouver. I do these transfers all the time. While I wholeheartedly disagree with the new law, I still have to follow the law. I tell people it's cheap insurance even though I've had plenty of police and lawyers tell me there's almost no way to enforce it under normal circumstances. And no, no taxes to OR residents.
Total costs to do this? I will assume it's ONLY for long guns in this case...

For long guns I charge 20, no tax for OR residents. Yes, for OR residents it is only long guns. I do transfers for handguns for WA residents for 25. I hate the new law but unfortunately I have to abide by it.

So, a question to you as a WA FFL and to others here. I know I can buy a long gun in WA, legally, as an OR resident. And I know I can sell a long gun to a WA resident. Both must go through an FFL, I know that.

But two questions I'm unclear on:

1. If I were to sell a long gun to a WA resident, would we have to do the transfer at an OR FFL? Or can it be done at a WA FFL?

2. Same goes for a trade - if I were to trade with a WA resident, could that be done at a single FFL in WA?

3. I guess one more question too - how do the fees work in a trade situation? Double the BGC fee, double the transfer fee??

Just wondering.

So, a question to you as a WA FFL and to others here. I know I can buy a long gun in WA, legally, as an OR resident. And I know I can sell a long gun to a WA resident. Both must go through an FFL, I know that.

But two questions I'm unclear on:

1. If I were to sell a long gun to a WA resident, would we have to do the transfer at an OR FFL? Or can it be done at a WA FFL?

2. Same goes for a trade - if I were to trade with a WA resident, could that be done at a single FFL in WA?

3. I guess one more question too - how do the fees work in a trade situation? Double the BGC fee, double the transfer fee??

Just wondering.

Long guns can be bought on either side of the river so you could do a sale in WA or OR. As long as its through a dealer a WA resident can come to an ffl in OR for a private sale and vise versa. If hypothetically you were selling a handgun to a WA resident then you would have to bring the handgun to a WA ffl and if you were buying a handgun from a WA resident it would have to be done at an OR ffl.

If it is a trade and I am running two checks on two guns for two people then yes it would be two transfer fees. More then likely each person would take care of their own check. In WA there is no BGC fee like in OR, just the transfer fee. Hope that helps.

Long guns can be bought on either side of the river so you could do a sale in WA or OR. As long as its through a dealer a WA resident can come to an ffl in OR for a private sale and vise versa. If hypothetically you were selling a handgun to a WA resident then you would have to bring the handgun to a WA ffl and if you were buying a handgun from a WA resident it would have to be done at an OR ffl.

If it is a trade and I am running two checks on two guns for two people then yes it would be two transfer fees. More then likely each person would take care of their own check. In WA there is no BGC fee like in OR, just the transfer fee. Hope that helps.

It does, thank you. Just for future reference, may I ask what your fees are? Might be good to have an FFL in the contacts, just in case. And, what is the name you would be found under?

It does, thank you. Just for future reference, may I ask what your fees are? Might be good to have an FFL in the contacts, just in case. And, what is the name you would be found under?

My fees are 20 for long guns and 25 for handguns and I'm at NW Custom Firearms. This will probably get deleted so I'll message you as well

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top