JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So I bought a pistol from a guy last weekend and paid cash. We filled out a little bill of sale on some binder paper that we both got a copy of. He said he wants me to get it registered in my name as it is currently registered in his.

Do I have to do this. We did a ftf sale so why would I need to register it. I don't mind doing it if I need to, but thought i'd ask.

ftf is a Face to Face transaction... as far as I understand it. No reason you HAVE to get it registered tho. Maybe he needs to notify them of the fact that it is sold tho.

As long as your both are residents of the same state by law you do NOT have to.

unless he noted it as a condition of the sale, he should not require you to and you should not have to.

so its up to you what you want to do at this point

well since he wants it done ask him

transfers happen at FFLs this requires you to have a back ground check through OSP (and they keep a record of it as well) , and go into the FFLs Bound book as being the new owner he will for ever be tied to the paper trail since he will always be in the system as one of the owners but now there is a official paper trail

you may be able to accomplish the same result by getting the bill of sale notarized that may be enough to help him sleep at night as he will have a official note stating that the firearms has transfered ownership.

Thank you your input on this has been helpful. I'll get in contact with him. I don't want to pay to have a back ground check to make him happy. But if he wants it maybe he'll pay for it.

I welcome anymore input as well.

There is no legal reason that you need to register it. When you use it in a crime and they come to him he simply shows them the Bill of Sale and gives them your name and details and off they go.

There is no gun registration in Oregon. OSP asks for information about the firearm when a background check is done to check if it is stolen. It is not a registration to an individual. The purpose of the bill of sale is to indicate the firearm has changed ownership.

Serial numbers are never "registered" in Oregon according to state law. My understanding is that when I call in a serial number and drivers license on the white for to the OSP they keep the record for a maximum of 30 days before it's no longer "easily traceable" as to who bought what gun.
Now it is my belief that some Federal watchdog agency is going to be policing and monitoring these transactions, tracking serial numbers to people. So every time you have a legal FtF firearm sale you have thwarted our Big Brother's attempt to track and take away our guns and our rights.

So I bought a pistol from a guy last weekend and paid cash. We filled out a little bill of sale on some binder paper that we both got a copy of. He said he wants me to get it registered in my name as it is currently registered in his.

Do I have to do this. We did a ftf sale so why would I need to register it. I don't mind doing it if I need to, but thought i'd ask.

I'd ignore his nonsensical request and enjoy the new firearm without further communication with this person, who obviously doesn't understand Oregon firearm transfers.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top