JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Just for S&G run the same numbers for any other "group" and see how the percentages compare. In other words, as low as that muslim percentage is is it a higher percentage than similar calculations done on other "groups" when comparing THEIR percentages?? :s0093:

That's too much effort for me- Math was never my strong suit;)

But when your dealing with a small group to begin with, it doesn't take much to skew the numbers.

The troubling thing in my mind, is the.. I don't know.. almost eagerness for people to lump all muslims into a single bucket, and blame anything they might do wrong on their faith. "Do you know what it says in the Quoran??"

I have a number of Muslim friends who I would trust my life to. I know a number of Christians I wouldn't let walk behind me at night. And I don't think the religion they subscribe to has much to do with it.

You can call me whatever name you want for being prejudice. But when I first heard this fellas name I assumed he was from the middle east, Muslim and probably just doing his jihady duty. I may yet be proven wrong but I look at it this way. What percentage of people living in the USA are Muslim? And out of those Muslims in the USA what percentage of them are in the Military (any branch)? What then are the odds of one of those Muslims coincidentallybeing a psycho that goes on a killing rampage because he didn't want to be a soldier like he had signed up for?
I would never call anyone a name for having that reaction. I had the same reaction myself. The very same things went through my head. I was raised in an extremely racist environment and then lived in areas that could easily make you racist if you weren't already. I battle my own prejudices every day.

Initial reactions and thoughts just happen and are natural. It is how we proceed after we gather ourselves together that matters. It only starts to be a bad thing when we speak out unfairly or allow our prejudices to influence our behavior.

Just for S&G run the same numbers for any other "group" and see how the percentages compare. In other words, as low as that muslim percentage is is it a higher percentage than similar calculations done on other "groups" when comparing THEIR percentages?? :s0093:

Okay. 14% of Americans claim to be evangelical Christians. 40% of the military's active duty personnel are evangelical Christians (NPR). So you have 40% evangelical Christian and I believe it was .02% Muslim. I just have a hard time believe it was sheer coincidence that the psycho was a Muslim. Prejudice? You bet! If you were on active duty in the military and you had a Muslim in you group (don't know what the right military term is) would you be nervous especially given the locations of our current wars? I sure would be. Just like I would have been suspicious of a German or Japanese person in the military during WW2. I know I'm completely not PC but I believe political correctness will make America extinct!

Purely speculation.

I bet if I go into portland and get into a bar fight with a homosexual male, it would be a hate crime.

But a Muslim killing Americans, it's just coincidence.

Good post. :s0155:

I don't think that's how it works. If you and a bunch of your buddies went into a gay bar looking to beat up gay man, and then did so in a brutal fashion. - That might be considered a hate crime. It happens in this country pretty regularly.

A muslim American killing other Americans on an army base, coincidence? Puzzled.:confused: It's not like this kind of thing happens with any regularity.. I think this is actually the first time its happened.

2.5 million muslims in the US. (PEW)
3,386 self-proclaimed muslims on Active duty in the military.(Pentagon)
1 muslim shooter. (CNN)
So..
Thats .02% of Active duty muslims
and .00004% of all muslims who have gone nuts and started shooting folks

I think, statistically speaking, I'd worry more about being killed by a lightning bolt or by falling out of bed (1:2,000,000)

This isn't the first time this has happened plus the military isn't sure how many of any religion is in service.............

"Military personnel don't have to disclose their religions, and many officials believe the actual number of Muslim soldiers may be at least 10,000 higher than the Pentagon statistics. For instance, the military "Officer Record Brief" of Maj. Nidal Malik Hasan, the suspect in the Fort Hood shootings, said he had "no religious preference" and didn't identify him as a Muslim."

"In one of the military's most notorious cases of fratricide since Vietnam, Army Sgt. Hasan Akbar, a convert to Islam, rolled a grenade into a tent filled with other soldiers in April 2003. The attack killed two officers and wounded 14 others. During his court-martial, prosecution witnesses testified Sgt. Akbar had committed the attack because he believed the U.S. military would kill Muslim civilians during the coming invasion. Sgt. Akbar was later sentenced to death."
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,572887,00.html

Okay. 14% of Americans claim to be evangelical Christians. 40% of the military's active duty personnel are evangelical Christians (NPR). So you have 40% evangelical Christian and I believe it was .02% Muslim. I just have a hard time believe it was sheer coincidence that the psycho was a Muslim. Prejudice? You bet! If you were on active duty in the military and you had a Muslim in you group (don't know what the right military term is) would you be nervous especially given the locations of our current wars? I sure would be. Just like I would have been suspicious of a German or Japanese person in the military during WW2. I know I'm completely not PC but I believe political correctness will make America extinct!

Nope. I think you cut to the heart of it. And that is where my biggest fear lies. During WWII, Japanese Americans were rounded up, stripped of their possessions and put into internment camps. Probably the most shameful and un-American thing we've ever done in this country.

The thought that it could possibly happen again... :angry:

Since this thread is stuck on statistics I thought I would point out the obvious,
statics can't hold a candle to facts! ;) Statistics only matter before an incident once the incident happens facts are all that matter!

Jeez guys, he was a muslim terrorist that killed 13 Americans. It's real lame to give out PC excuses to hide what he is and what he has done. It is an insult to the dead and their families to try to PC this away. You should be ashamed.

jj

I don't think that's how it works. If you and a bunch of your buddies went into a gay bar looking to beat up gay man, and then did so in a brutal fashion. - That might be considered a hate crime. It happens in this country pretty regularly.

A muslim American killing other Americans on an army base, coincidence? Puzzled.:confused: It's not like this kind of thing happens with any regularity.. I think this is actually the first time its happened.

I guess if a white Christian walked into a Souk shouted "God is great" ("Allahu Akbar!") and murdered 13 unarmed Muslims and wounded 29, you wouldn't consider it a hate crime ?

That's why I wrote "self-professed" muslims.

Do you have other examples of Muslim American servicemen opening fire on people in the US?

Just the two that I know of, but there have been more than enough attacks by Muslim extremists on innocent civilians here in the US, does that count ?

Men join the military and put their lives on the line. They were murdered by a terrorist and people are actully making excuses for the murderer. If you guys are not ashamed then I am ashamed of you. There is no doubt this guy is a terrorist. ABC news proved his connection with the terrorist today. Geez, he murdered people sworn to protect you and they gave up their lives doing so

I have had enough, this PC sickness has got to go. Some of you guys better man up and figure out who the haters of America are.

jj

Jeez guys, he was a muslim terrorist that killed 13 Americans. It's real lame to give out PC excuses to hide what he is and what he has done. It is an insult to the dead and their families to try to PC this away. You should be ashamed.

jj

:s0155: Seems like there's people here that just don't see it that way. More respect given to the gunman than the victims.....:(

They better learn who they stand with, PC will get you and your family killed. It has allready killed many thousands of Americans.

"Major Nidal Malik Hasan, the gunman who killed 13 at America's Fort Hood military base, once gave a lecture to other doctors in which he said non-believers should be beheaded and have boiling oil poured down their throats.

He also told colleagues at America's top military hospital that non-Muslims were infidels condemned to **** who should be set on fire. The outburst came during an hour-long talk Hasan, an Army psychiatrist, gave on the Koran in front of dozens of other doctors at Walter Reed Army Medical Centre in Washington DC, where he worked for six years before arriving at Fort Hood in July.

Colleagues had expected a discussion on a medical issue but were instead given an extremist interpretation of the Koran, which Hasan appeared to believe.
[...]
One Army doctor who knew him said a fear of appearing discriminatory against a Muslim soldier had stopped fellow officers from filing formal complaints."

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top