JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I worked 8 years pre OSHA in a lumber mill putting myself through High School and College. And then when I got drafted I did two weeks rifle, pistol training in basic with no ear protection. Since then I've always shot with ear protection except when hunting. Next month is 80 and I'm just now beginning to notice a slight background rushing noise present all the time. Just hoping the level doesn't increase.

When you go to video the flash, you might try Wolf ammo in the black box. It seems to have the best flash out of everything I've tried. I've gotten some pretty good pictures and videos even in daylight.

When you go to video the flash, you might try Wolf ammo in the black box. It seems to have the best flash out of everything I've tried. I've gotten some pretty good pictures and videos even in daylight.

Ammo does make a difference. I have several handguns with comps on them and good US made self-defense ammo has significantly less flash because it uses powder designed for lower flash.

I've fired my Garands and Mosins without ear protection for 30 years
all one hears from the shooters position is the cycling of the bolt
I didn't wear ear protection when walking sentry duty in the Army back in the Day

BUT my intent was if I had to run outside with my AK at night to engage a target, I"m probably not going to take the time to find my ear protection

Huh? WHAT???

I don't know anyone who keeps ear protection next to their bed with their firearm

I don't either, but I keep reading recommendations for it.

Walking sentry duty, firing at a predator or intruder on your property and hunting in the woods is a little different than just cracking off rounds. Compensator and brakes typically increase blast dramatically compared to a flash suppressor or even a bate muzzle and IMO have no business on fighting guns but that's me. I understand where you're coming from just know hearing loss is permanent but hey it's your hearing so roll on man.

Huh? WHAT???

I was told over 30% of all Veterans of my ere of service have qualified for VA disability due to hearing loss

My former bozz was in the Navy around big guns. Last year he mentioned to me that the VA was making a big push to catch up with all the vets that have service-connected hearing loss... he makes a bit of coin on it every month.

I had a muzzle brake on my faux SBR 5.56... it was one of those that also has the ports facing up and back to reduce muzzle rise. Didn't really need it but it was fun.

But I shot that thing w/o ear protection for about 5 rds... my ears rang for 10 minutes after! Good thing I didn't have my hearing aids in!!!

Anyway, when I transfered that 10.5" AR from my safe to home defense duty, I realized the brake was going to be a problem inside the house, and at night. So I put the original flash hider back on...might have to get a better one tho.

I'm not one to ignore my mistakes
I took this abusive muzzle brake off my AK and put a bird cage back on
I have to deal with muzzle rise again, but I can shoot it without hearing protection or rattling the windows on the house and getting bubbleguming from my wife

and I know about the VA and their disability for hearing loss
I spent 10.5 years in the Military, starting in '68, my feeling is there a veterans who deserve their disability check more than I do
I spent 50 years working in a career field I learned in the Military, the Army paid for my first degree, I'll call us even

No, your not going to see photos of it fired at night, I don't have that capability, you'll have to take my word for it

received and mounted the FSC47 compensator yesterday, got out last night to test it on my range

mounted on a Chinese type 56, once threaded on to the indexing pin was a little loose so I used 500 deg teflon tape to tighten it up

using an old Nikon 3X compact scope on the Texas Weapons dogleg receiver mount

the only light was from my barn mounted arc light, several old Zucchini and summer squash died during this testing

shooting at 35 yrds, leaning against a fence post, no barrel rest

this compensators does as advertised, the muzzle flash come out laterally and one does not perceive the flash in your scope

also, muzzle rise was very slight, allowing me to keep the crosshairs within the zucchini at 35 yrds, getting quick follow up shots

BUT, you going to want to wear hearing protector with this compensator

I fired just 5 rnds before before wimped out and put on protectors

View attachment 787406 View attachment 787407 View attachment 787408 View attachment 787409
That's a great advise, And TBH that gun is great!!

I should have responded with a better explanation
I live on remote property
I fire all my firearms at least once without ear protection
if I have to fire at a predator or intruder on my property, chances are I will not be wearing ear protection to enhance situational awareness
on my property, with no walls or structures around you, the sound of the firearm to the shooter is not as intense as on a range with overhead cover or partitions
I know of no hunter who wears ear protection in the woods
I've observed many shooter who have only fired on a range with ear protection, drop their firearm and grab their ears the first time they shoot without them
knowing the sound of this firearm with the new muzzle brake, I would be hesitant to choose it for intruder defence
yet I fired this same rifle for 30 years before yesterday with no issue
I shoot my Mossberg 590 A1 12 ga regularly outside here, without ear protection and have perceived no discomfort
yet I would not fire a .357 in the dark or without ear protection

I don't know anyone who keeps ear protection next to their bed with their firearm
I keep a pair of electronic earmuffs on my nightstand drawer handle. I have done this for many years now.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top