JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
This ad is no longer active. View more ads here.
Reactions
Ad Type
  1. For Sale
Price
$1275
Manufacturer
Other / Not Listed
Caliber
45-70
City
tacoma
State
Washington
Hello!

I have for sale a Pedersoli lever action rifle in 45-70 Gov't. It is NIB and has remained unfired. It was purchased in Feb. 2019. I am selling because it somehow developed surface rust on top of the barrel all the while it sat in its factory packaging. I am not happy about this and the company's customer service is unhelpful, so I wish to sell it. The rust is not grand (see pics), I have wiped it off with a gun rag and it did okay but is still noticeable. If you have a remedy for this, great! Other than the slight rust, the rifle is pristine. Rifles go for more than my asking price on GB and elsewhere. Asking price is $1350.00

I am not too interested in trades but if I am they have to be CRF as minimum and with sights, preferred. NO handguns or semi-auto rifles!!!
Thanks.

20190820_174315.jpg 20190820_174323.jpg 20190813_111005.jpg 20190820_174338.jpg

1. I agree to the classified rules and terms of service
Thanks! I treat my rifles well and I never experienced this! Shame. Sturdy beast of a rifle, too. You ever experience this?

Thanks! I treat my rifles well and I never experienced this! Shame. Sturdy beast of a rifle, too. You ever experience this?
Never heard of it, I mean it could be a bunch of things from some sort of salt that was on the plastic to moisture, but I'm betting on that their blueing process was just a bit off that day, I cant believe they wont help you out, I mean its a pretty expensive shooter.

At different times, Weatherby and Browning had moisture problems that came from the wood on their stocks, It may have been that blanks were on the green side. Onless treated on the inside, plastic is not a good storage sleeve nor is leather, cardboard or the old type sheep skin. Stuck away in a closet, like a Savage 99 in 308, cherry except for a few patches of rust like this one and a few deep receiver pits. 100% functional for $100. Will use it as it is. Plastic storage unless treated is bad news. Changes in temperatures is also. Those golden rods at the bottom of a cabinet also keep a constant air movement going for you. I switch over to cleaning and leaving a coating of Frog Lube on all without a sign of rust. If you can wipe guns down at the range while still warm, it penetrates the metal's pores a bit better. I can look out the window and see the Pacific, so I have seen some metal oxidation during the 30 plus years of living here. Before that, used Break Free Collectors grade, but some how checked often and never felt 100% comfortable with it, but better than RemOil.

At different times, Weatherby and Browning had moisture problems that came from the wood on their stocks, It may have been that blanks were on the green side. Onless treated on the inside, plastic is not a good storage sleeve nor is leather, cardboard or the old type sheep skin. Stuck away in a closet, like a Savage 99 in 308, cherry except for a few patches of rust like this one and a few deep receiver pits. 100% functional for $100. Will use it as it is. Plastic storage unless treated is bad news. Changes in temperatures is also. Those golden rods at the bottom of a cabinet also keep a constant air movement going for you. I switch over to cleaning and leaving a coating of Frog Lube on all without a sign of rust. If you can wipe guns down at the range while still warm, it penetrates the metal's pores a bit better. I can look out the window and see the Pacific, so I have seen some metal oxidation during the 30 plus years of living here. Before that, used Break Free Collectors grade, but some how checked often and never felt 100% comfortable with it, but better than RemOil.
Thanks. I am betting as someone else stated that the company's bluing was off that day, or as you say, it came from the stock. I do not know, but I am not happy one way or the other. I have not used RemyOil in years. I do use the Remy branded cloth to wipe down my rifles with Otto's gun cleaning oil on all my wood stocked, blued action rifles and NONE of them suffered this fate. The plastic cover has been removed and the gun wrapped in medical once-steriled cloths. The condition has not gotten worse. Will never buy from them again!

Thanks. I am betting as someone else stated that the company's bluing was off that day, or as you say, it came from the stock. I do not know, but I am not happy one way or the other. I have not used RemyOil in years. I do use the Remy branded cloth to wipe down my rifles with Otto's gun cleaning oil on all my wood stocked, blued action rifles and NONE of them suffered this fate. The plastic cover has been removed and the gun wrapped in medical once-steriled cloths. The condition has not gotten worse. Will never buy from them again!
Haven't contacted him, but I had a neighbor that had one similar to yours. Worked it over 5 or 6 days with a rag and Koil. I let have overnighters with a coating of the Koil of it. It pulled just about all the rust out of all the steel's pores. Did the same with the rifle but this time three days it got the Frog Lube treatment. He cleaned it while still warm a few times. You couldn't tell rust was ever visited on that rifle. A Shilo in 45-70.

You've got nothing to lose trying either 0000 steel wool (or a real copper penny) and ballistol.
So, I gave it a try and all the rust (brown coloured liquid with oil) was removed. The spots where the rust was is now exposing the steel. The unaffected bluing is the same but the rust ate through the bluing, Rifle is fugly! Will try to post the after-pics.

So, I gave it a try and all the rust (brown coloured liquid with oil) was removed. The spots where the rust was is now exposing the steel. The unaffected bluing is the same but the rust ate through the bluing, Rifle is fugly! Will try to post the after-pics.
You did what had to be done. Rust is a cancer that has to go. I would touch up the spots with a bluing pen after an alcohol prep.

Hello all!

With recommendation from blogs and members here, I used the 0000 steel wool with oil and went to work on these spots. The only change is it went from rust-brown to steel-grey, I guess that means the barrel is now exposed in these spots. In the last photo showing the receiver and barrel, notice the level in darkness of the bluing on the receiver? I do not think I have ever seen this before on other rifles. The barrel bluing seems thin if I can say so.

Please chime in if you have thoughts to share (and prayers).

I am so frustrated on how this happened when not other member of my "extended family" suffered this.

IMG_20191022_170439.jpg IMG_20191022_170333.jpg IMG_20191022_170136.jpg IMG_20191022_170033.jpg IMG_20191022_165905.jpg

Alternatively, you might want to consider trading it to someone with gunsmith/refinishing skills. That barrel is going to need a repolish and blue to be new again. Another option would be a black cerakote job. Either way, once it rusted, the value of the gun took a hit. Nothing you can do but fix it up nicer or move it as-is and take the hit.

Unfortunately looks like it's pitted slightly in those spots. Brownells sells Some spot bluing called Dicropan. Heat it up a little and touch it up repeatedly until color match is obtained.

only other way is a complete reblue

Alternatively, you might want to consider trading it to someone with gunsmith/refinishing skills. That barrel is going to need a repolish and blue to be new again. Another option would be a black cerakote job. Either way, once it rusted, the value of the gun took a hit. Nothing you can do but fix it up nicer or move it as-is and take the hit.
Yes, my unfortunate luck as it stands. I am not one who customises his guns so doing a cerakote is likely out of question. What does such a job go for anyway?

How much of a hit am I taking?

Yes, my unfortunate luck as it stands. I am not one who customises his guns so doing a cerakote is likely out of question. What does such a job go for anyway?

How much of a hit am I taking?
Velzey, who just replied, is an Amazing gunsmith for a Very fair price. You should ask him. He does all my custom jobs.

Status
This ad is no longer active. View more ads here.