JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Yesterday . . . This guy has a star .380 listed on outdoorstrader and I wanted it. I contact him and tell him I am interested. I request that he meet me halfway so I can look at it. I tell him Im pretty sure Ill take it and Im not going to haggle, I will give him his asking price. He is less than polite and refuses to meet me halfway. Alright, he was not pleasant to deal with so I chose not to drive all the way to him.

Today . . . I wake up and decided I wanted the pistol bad enough I would drive to him. I contact him and tell him Im busy during the day but after Im done I would come to him. I finish my work and text him telling him I would like to meet after rush hour because f$%* driving in rush hour traffic. Just for clarification I ask what model the pistol was and he tells me he didnt know. Im relaxing and this guy is getting impatient I guess cause he decides to text me in all caps "R U ON YOUR WAY YET". He is really starting to jiggle my jelly but I take a deep breath and tell him Ill leave right now. Traffic was dying but wasnt quite gone yet. It took me an hour to get to him. I arrive, introduce my self (politely with a smile of course), and he says "you here to see the rifle?". No Im here to see the pistol . . . he tells me he thought I was here to see the rifle and that the pistol was already sold. Shakes my hand, tells me his deepest sympathies and says goodnight.

Oh that wasnt even the worst part! Yesterday he told me the reason he couldnt meet me halfway cause his 84 datsun was on its last leg . . . when I arrived he got out of his 2012 kia!!!!!!!!!!!!

Haha part of me really wants to use my girlfriends phone to offer him extra money for the rifle if he will drive to me in some far off place . . . but I wont be there. Pay back! Alas that would solve nothing.

No feedback section on outdoorstrader.

I can appreciate you wanting the pistol but like anything impulse decisions are always a bad idea - especially when dealing with people on the internet. I have always found a slow approach with those on the 'net is a better way to go. Maybe a couple emails, a phone call or two just to get a 'feel' for the person on the other end can go a long way. And, regardless of how much you want something let your 'gut' decide and be prepared to forget the deal if anything seems awry - such as him not being able to tell you the model of the pistol. I suspect it probably never existed and he would hope you might be interested in the rifle he brought. Seems far fetched and an odd approach but I have seen (and experienced) much worse.

Bleh . . . next time Ill be more careful and definitely focus on good communication
There were some red flags there for sure but sometimes I guess you just roll the dice.
Like others said, probably a good think you ended up not doing business with him.
I'm unfamiliar with that site. Do people have user names? If you could identify him, others here might be able to avoid him.

Yesterday . . . This guy has a star .380 listed on outdoorstrader and I wanted it. I contact him and tell him I am interested. I request that he meet me halfway so I can look at it. I tell him Im pretty sure Ill take it and Im not going to haggle, I will give him his asking price. He is less than polite and refuses to meet me halfway. Alright, he was not pleasant to deal with so I chose not to drive all the way to him.

ever think he may have done it on purpose coz you pissed him off?

hate to say it, but you expect a guy to meet you half way (and spend gas) and you have less than a 100% commitment to buy it?

just saying... there's 2 sides of this story...

If he wants to sell it. Yes. for all you know it's a fluffed pos that when you field strip it to inspect, you'll find it is completely wrecked.

that's different. it's understood you will inspect the weapon to make sure it is not misrepresented... but you commit to buy before meeting, subject to inspection... if it is missing parts, or is a POS, you walk away.

but not the other way around... at least that's how I deal with folks... no way am I meeting with anybody who just wants to look, unless you are coming to me, even then I'm not sure I would bother...

there's always other folks who will buy it if it is priced well... and somebody who wants to look first raises flags on my end... I can send as many pics as you want.. a video if needed, but a meet means a sale unless misrepresented.

I may be out of line, but as far as I know most people follow that protocol... just saying

Or I don't like it, or I don't like you, etc. A meet doesn't mean a buyer is entitled to a purchase, or a seller is entitled to a sale.

Way I see it, we still have the right to sell something, we aren't entitled to a purchaser though.

very true... you can't force anybody to hand over cash if they don't want to...

if the other guy is creepy, that is a legit reason to walk away...

when I make a deal, I always spell out the item, condition and accessories expected with it so there are no surprises.. sometimes magazines are 50$ each.. saying there is 2 and bringing only 1 is a huge misrepresentation...

everybody has different norms... but bottom line, I don't think it's normal to expect somebody to spend gas money for a possibility of a sale... you can ask, but they say no, you don't get upset about it...

I always ask and I'm surprised how sometimes folks were coming to my area anyways and saves me 20$ in gas... but if they say no, I work with them on meeting at a convenient location...

I highly suspect that the seller the OP referred to did it on purpose and is probably posting about it somewhere... you don't confuse a rifle and pistol sale, at least I don't...

I told him that I was pretty sure I would take it. I dont make a guarantee for many reasons. Some already listed by others. I also told him I would pay asking price. If he did it on purpose and was just being an a$$ then I believe he will get his. I dont believe that is the case though. I believe he made a legitimate mistake because he was incompetent.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top