JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
My wife prefers my Mossberg 410 for HD, but would use the 590 if it didn't kick so hard. She's also much shorter than I am, so I got the Knoxx recoil reducing stock (I also like a short LOP, even though I don't need it.) I'll be getting some low recoil ammo soon.

I don't like junk hanging off the shotgun, and I cringed when I mounted a flashlight to the Mako forend, because I couldn't see paying a huge chunk of change for a Surefire that interferes with that blob they call a bayonet mount.

That's got the light thing covered, but now my unresolved problem is the sights. Both of us shoot high, and it's difficult to get our eyes down low enough to sight along the barrel. I shoot right, but she's right handed and left eye dominant, so while she's figuring out which side to shoot it from, I need a sight that will work for us both. I'd like to get a little bit of lift off the receiver, but not so high that it hangs up on stuff in the house/closet.

I know there are rails that mount to the gun directly, and I've also seen rails that are "see through" with front and rear sights integral to the rail. Does such a thing exist for direct mounting to the screws available on my receiver? If not, are there any suggestions for sights?

Have you considered a light / laser combo? I use one on my shotgun and zero the laser on the pattern of OO Buck at 15 yards. Put the laser dot on what you want to hit.

I have. I want to get iron sights that work for both of us, then I'll find a combo that costs a lot more. There are some interesting products out there, but I'm waiting for competition to improve the available options and quality. Most combos are battery hogs, and I'd also prefer something that's more intuitive for operation. So many products have controls that require additional thought that doesn't happen during a panic situation.

Sites on a home defense shot gun.......? WTF?

It's a shot gun,there is no need for any sites....point and shoot.

Duck hunters have been doing this for about a hundred years and dropping less than human size targets at 40+ yards.

Don't listen to the salesmen,they are just trying to sell yo more crap you don't need.

What type of sights came on your 590?

Just a bead up front. Hindsight... I had the gun picked out, didn't expect to find that there was even larger variety in sight options.
Ghost rings would be nice, but I'm trying to avoid gunsmithing. Theyare few and far between north of Seattle. The gun has provisions for mounting on top of the receiver, and if I can find a rail with the integral sights that will fit that would be better. (I can put new holes in the rail, but I'd rather have something lined up from the start.)

Ducks aren't litigious. Sights are a requirement for an HD weapon in my opinion.

WOW new word for me.Kinda obvious though

Definition of LITIGIOUS
a : disputatious, contentious b : prone to engage in lawsuits
: subject to litigation
: of, relating to, or marked by litigation

Now if you can't hit someone with a shotgun, in the distances given inside most dwellings,then you should rethink your home defense or practice WAY more with said firearm.

Maybe if did hunt the non-litigious ducks,you wouldn't need sites....?

Just a bead up front. Hindsight... I had the gun picked out, didn't expect to find that there was even larger variety in sight options.
Ghost rings would be nice, but I'm trying to avoid gunsmithing. Theyare few and far between north of Seattle. The gun has provisions for mounting on top of the receiver, and if I can find a rail with the integral sights that will fit that would be better. (I can put new holes in the rail, but I'd rather have something lined up from the start.)

I see where you're comming from now. A rail would give you all kinds of options, be it sights or low power scope. Good luck in your search.

Don't know why I didn't think of this sooner. Stock drop spacer! Brings the gun up/stock down. Has anyone used one with a Blackhawk/Knoxx stock? There's some assorted stuff on the web about the idea, but not enough to get a warm fuzzy either way.

For the record, and as the OP, my goal was simplicity of use with the least amount of thought or training required for use, not just by myself, but for my wife and kids as well, who are all much shorter than I am. I'm actually fine with the bead sights for rapid point and shoot with a minimum of thought/training. I hate tacticool junk hanging off all over the place, as it just complicates storage and hangs up on stuff, not to mention doesn't take much to get whacked and messed up.

Now if you can't hit someone with a shotgun, in the distances given inside most dwellings...

The situations, though rare, where you are outside your housing structure are the ones I was speaking of. Having sights available could avoid a bad shoot. Sure, inside you're talking mere feet. But what if you've got an intruder digging through your back yard shed 20m from your back door? No it's not going to be the majority of HD shoot scenarios, but better safe is my opinion.

The situations, though rare, where you are outside your housing structure are the ones I was speaking of. Having sights available could avoid a bad shoot. Sure, inside you're talking mere feet. But what if you've got an intruder digging through your back yard shed 20m from your back door? No it's not going to be the majority of HD shoot scenarios, but better safe is my opinion.

If he's not trying to enter your house or shooting at you from the shed,you will not be justified in shooting him,nor would I bother.The I can wait the 4 minutes for the cops.

Besides,if he's shooting from the shed,he's getting the rifle pointed at him not the damn shotgun.

Oh and my shed has my Harley in it,so something a little more personal would be used.
Something from Louisville comes to mind.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top